Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Leaving for FL in Morning

Leaving for the FL Keys in the morning (with a couple of days in Fort Lauderdale for fun) on my annual Trek to snag the elusive "Big One" (shark), but never know what I'll catch.
    Wish me good luck with the weather, and not falling off the boat, because that would definitely attract the biggest shark in the ocean with my luck.

Wish I could have talked some of you into going on this journey with me. Will be fun, it always is. Been following the fishing reports down there, a couple of record size sharks being caught. If nothing else, I'll try for a Goliath Grouper, some Tarpon, and a couple of Red Snappers for "eatin'" fish.

Wish me luck,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well don’t drink too much whiskey and fall off Jim! Lol

Sounds like a blast, never been fishing for such big fish. Let alone sharks..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Well don’t drink too much whiskey and fall off Jim! Lol

Sounds like a blast, never been fishing for such big fish. Let alone sharks..
    I won't drink any whiskey, I'll just chug beer all day
    Fishing for sharks is a rush, if you catch one. They may or may not pay attention to bait on any given day. Sometimes I'll get over a school of juveniles which drive you crazy because they'll take your bait, as fast as you can throw them back in and re-bait your hook.

You should at least put it on your bucket list. Maybe next year I can talk some WEVO members in to chipping in for the charter and captain and we can make a day or 3 out of it.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like fun! Never been out on the water like that before, drink one for me while you're out!
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Sounds like fun! Never been out on the water like that before, drink one for me while you're out!
    Will do bud. I might need it. These trips can be boring, or cause panic attacks like a Mo' Fo'
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will be expecting a post card buddy!! Have fun man!
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I will be expecting a post card buddy!! Have fun man!
    Ha..ha..ha.. Thanks bud. However I wouldn't bet money on a post card. I've caught some other trophy sized fish that I wasn't even trying to catch, but I think we're going into this a little more focused. Myself and my guide. In the long run, it doesn't matter, I've only got so many years, or as far as I know, minutes on earth so I don't get too out of shape if I don't get what I want.

This time, I'm looking for Bull sharks, which happen to be responsible for most attacks on humans, but I'd like to snag a Great White. Read that the other day, a guy caught a record Tiger, and before that, had a shark on, that stripped 1000 yards of line then pow! broke the line like it was nothing. I would be freakin out if I caught a GW, but would actually fight a bull shark, if it came my way.

As I stated, earlier, I wish we could get a WEVO fishing trip next year. Hell, we have enough time to do another, this year.

Anyway, Stone, thanks for the well wishes. Now you got me checking the mirror to assess my "awesome stomach". Ha..ha..ha.. It will come in handy If I snag a big fish.

PS Jerry lives down that way, maybe we could talk him into organizing a WEVO trip, next year.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pictures of a shark are expected

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    Pictures of a shark are expected
    O.K., here's one.Name:  output[291].jpg
Views: 435
Size:  915.6 KB
    Caught a bunch of fish, but nothing spectacular this time. Did get a "monster" Barracuda, but made one jump and cut leader, so no pic of him. Me and my Guide were both standing with our mouths open when we saw what came out of the water, but didn't get him to boat so he didn't count. Caught a snapper for dinner. Nice and fresh, great snapper! Didn't get the Hammer Head, Bull Shark or Goliath Grouper that I wanted, but had lots of fun anyway. Sjark in pic is a Nurse Shark. Wore me out pretty good trying to convince him to come to boat for a pic.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have fun! I hope you escape the grip of God's Waiting Room!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a fun time.

catching sharks or any big fish is probably a rush..one day maybe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Sounds like a fun time.

catching sharks or any big fish is probably a rush..one day maybe.
    Damn, should be lots of Great Whites up your ways. That would be the ultimate shark to catch, IMHO. They love that cold water up there. Hell, a one day guided trip should be doable on a budget, it you had to. No airline tickets, or at least skip first class for budgetary reasons, should be more affordable hotels or any of the other insane prices like they have in the keys. Hell, I paid $9 for a friggin' egg sandwich at the marina. You could stop and buy the whole family a bucket full of KFC for not a whole lot more. Just start stacking your spare change in a jar somewhere, and boom! One day you can go. If you love to fish, next to freshwater Muskie, saltwater is the way to go. "Fer-Instance" I caught a 3 - 3.5 pound Snapper, and it fought harder than any fresh water fish of it's size, Period. More like pulling in a 15lb. catfish, gar, or huge carp(also lots of fun, especially on a fly rod). Later on in life, when the opportunity presents itself you can take a 1st class charter. But living in WA should offer you some seriously affordable Salt Water fishing.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I grew up spear-fishing. It seemed more sporting since you were part of the food chain. Nurse sharks were just a neat sight to see, but the barracudas were what I always had to keep my eyes on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I grew up spear-fishing. It seemed more sporting since you were part of the food chain. Nurse sharks were just a neat sight to see, but the barracudas were what I always had to keep my eyes on.
    Wierdly, Nurse Shark bites are increasing. They are still not a very aggressive shark by any means, but I'm amazed at the increase in bites. Their teeth aren't as large as the scarier sharks down there, especially the Bull, Hammerhead and a couple of others, but they can do damage, even juveniles. Check these out. Barely pups and still attacking.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=nurse+...I4WFcA&plvar=0https://www.bing.com/search?

q=nurse+shark+bites+fisherman+on+belly&form=EDGEAR &qs=HS&cvid=dc10870764b441fbb9f7059a4d3f1eea&cc=US &setlang=en-US&elv=AQj93OAhDTi*HzTv1paQdnh7QKglx2zkAv3AzsS7z4R 3ywj6eJ8vZNw3EKJOGgvWeFuvLdCCHbSBaBPlO6da4mNksxLmK 3h7CU*5qRI4WFcA&plvar=0

No clue as to why, but if I were diving I'd keep my freakin distance, that's for sure. They've always been known to bite when extremely messed with, but other than that, they are pretty docile. I got a look into the mouth of this one, and it had some pretty awesome teeth, but not like one would expect form the more "dangerous" sharks. Anyway, he put up one hell of a fight for his size and weight. And is back in his own "hood" living to fight another day.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I never had the urge to spear a fish, to spill blood which sharks can smell a mile away
    FT
    That's not quite how it works. But that is why I always kept tabs on the barracuda patrols. Their movement was almost as consistent as a Swiss watch in their territory, so when they moved on, you'd spear something, swim up and dump in the boat before it came back through. Although that was more on the windward side of a reef. There's plenty of places you can spear something and there's nothing else around.

Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Wierdly, Nurse Shark bites are increasing. They are still not a very aggressive shark by any means, but I'm amazed at the increase in bites.
    A big reason why there's so many Nurse Shark bites is because people think that because they're docile fish, they can pet them. Typically a bite is because someone has grabbed a fin and the fish will strike back on the person's hand or body part that's closest.

Growing up I spent a decent amount of time in the Caribbean and it was something that would happen every so often by someone who didn't know any better.