Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve never heard of Great whites in our area..

I’m not much of a fishermen, never did much growing up and the patience thing.. I’ve never caught more then a couple pound trout.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I’ve never heard of Great whites in our area..

I’m not much of a fishermen, never did much growing up and the patience thing.. I’ve never caught more then a couple pound trout.
    Well, yeah, they love that cold water and migrate south to CA in the cold water.

Thing is, a GW trip is a whole different monster. Going to take a big boat and crew, because you'd be pulling in anything between 500lb. and a ton.

Might not be the best choice for your first time. You'd probably be strapped into your seat for hours. However WA waters should offer an abundance of other sharks to fish for, and trust me they'll wear you out, no matter how good of shape you're in. Plus many other big fighting fish off of the WA coast. Doesn't have to be a shark. Like I said, pound for pound, most ocean fish out fight the hell out of an equivalent sized fresh water fish. When I caught that snapper that I wanted for dinner, I thought I had at least a 10 .lb fish on, when in actuality, he only weighed about 3 or 3.5 lb's at most. Check with some of the charter fisherman out there. Give him/her your budget. They need to fish everyday to make those big boat payments, so you could probably get to the big game, a lot sooner than you think. PS, my thighs are still aching, that's how much struggle/fun the fish can be.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I never had the urge to spear a fish, to spill blood which sharks can smell a mile away
    FT
    That's not quite how it works. But that is why I always kept tabs on the barracuda patrols. Their movement was almost as consistent as a Swiss watch in their territory, so when they moved on, you'd spear something, swim up and dump in the boat before it came back through. Although that was more on the windward side of a reef. There's plenty of places you can spear something and there's nothing else around.

Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Wierdly, Nurse Shark bites are increasing. They are still not a very aggressive shark by any means, but I'm amazed at the increase in bites.
    A big reason why there's so many Nurse Shark bites is because people think that because they're docile fish, they can pet them. Typically a bite is because someone has grabbed a fin and the fish will strike back on the person's hand or body part that's closest.

Growing up I spent a decent amount of time in the Caribbean and it was something that would happen every so often by someone who didn't know any better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

A big reason why there's so many Nurse Shark bites is because people think that because they're docile fish, they can pet them. Typically a bite is because someone has grabbed a fin and the fish will strike back on the person's hand or body part that's closest.

Growing up I spent a decent amount of time in the Caribbean and it was something that would happen every so often by someone who didn't know any better.
    Yep, GD, that's pretty much what I figured. They are, for a "docile" shark very powerful too, so if you screw with one to the point it's ready to take a chunk out of your body, you're pretty much as screwed as if you had messed with a shark species known to be "aggressive". In my experience they are just as hard to land as any other shark of the same weight/size. My thighs hurt for two days after getting it to the boat for some pics and release. It was my first Nurse Shark I've ever fought, not counting an occasional juvenile. Even those little pecker heads will try to chomp your fingers off trying to hold them in one hand and remove the circle hook with the other. Ask me how I know
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper