Downloads
    Uploads

Vortex scope issue? Need some help fellas

Ok...for lack of better words...FUCK...is where I’m leaving off and starting this.

So this newest build is testing me, so now I’m unsure if the vortex scope is indeed fubar or what am I missing.

I’ll try to make it short as possible. Got a Aero mount for cheap, so wanted to mount my old pst 1-4 in the Aero and use the MI 30mm QD mount the 1-4 was in. Now on the 2-10.

- So mounted up the old 1-4 in the aero mount, nothing exciting here except I remember why these aren’t my favorites, literally need to can’t the scope to achieve perfect centerline vertically- the way the mount works.

- So go to mount up the 2-10 in the MI -Qd mount, and it’s worked perfect with the old 1-4 and another 30mm scope years ago. Never have had a problem.

-got it all perfect and thru the gun in the safe, next day I get it out to swap the grip. I notice the reticle is canter...A lot..fuck me , now I know I didn’t leave it like that and I wasn’t drinking..

- So, set it all up again and retorque. And a little more even. Still moves.

-Just for shits and giggles swap the caps, tighten them to torque, then more, still tucking moves..

- So know wtf, break out the calipers. The ID on the MI mount hovers around right at 30 mm’s

-Trusty old pst 1-4 measures anywhere I take a measurement , over 30 mm’s.

- now the new/older 2-10 hs Lr. No where is it close to 30mm. Most numbers are in the 29.79-29.85 range..

So it’s obvious this scope is s hair undersized, at least compared to my only one to measure for reference.

Can anyone measure their vortex 30mm scope/scopes and post up the numbers..

This just seems really weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definetly looks like that tube is undersized, I would call Vortex. In the mean time you can shim it with a piece of thicker paper like printer paper. Just cut a few small strips and lay it in the rings (make it the same width of the ring so the pressure on the tube is equal) then put your scope on it and tighten it down. You may need a few pieces to make up the gap. Should hold though...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don’t know what it means, but my 2.5-10x32 tube measures about the same as yours. Before, between and behind the rings reads from high 29+ to over 30. I suspect it is our cheap calipers. Different numbers using the tips or middle of the claws. And the claws flex easily under pressure making for inconsistent numbers.

No canting issues w/Bobro mount. I use an Arisaka wedge to get the scope level. I do have an Aero mount on another that has also worked fine.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the replies fellas

Not gonna shim it with paper, it’s already in its way back to vortex.

I just find it weird that both of these mounts won’t work on this scope.

I’m not sure what they’ll say or do, I don’t have money around to be buying different mounts till I find one that works..Di we’ll see I guess..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well never got a call from vortex but just received a shipping notice and email back from vortex.

They didn’t say why in the email, but their shipping a new scope back to me.

They received it Wednesday and now shipping says next Thursday.

I’ll update when I receive it back, was kinda worried they wouldn’t have another one of these, being discontinued but it appears so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was quick! I suppose the first thing you will do is put the calipers on it, I would...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it was quick. Nothing in their reply email other then the repair team agreed what I was saying was true.. Weird, can’t remember the last time I heard about such a issue.

But so far kudos to Vortex.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Update:

New scope is back in hand, just under 2 weeks door to door. Awesome service from vortex, which is the first time I’ve had to deal with their warranty system.

Paper says internal and external problems.

New scope mics out much bigger then the previous, so hope all is well. Hope to get it mounted and on paper soon
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Downloads
    Uploads
    Vortex seems much pickier about tube dimensions than Kahles/Swarovski.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm surprised they had a replacement scope to send you given that it's been discontinued for a few years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I'm surprised they had a replacement scope to send you given that it's been discontinued for a few years.
    This!

Really surprised about that but glad they did! If my HSLR kicks the bucket I hope they have one left

I could measure mine but it’s got like ten layers of paint on it lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if these are still available in other countries ? Maybe that’s why they stock them

Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably not the same, but ... I worked for two mainframe manufacturers. They both stocked repair / replacement discontinued parts for a percentage of sales, assuming maintenance issues. These guys may do the same for warranty purposes. But that's just a WAG.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hear ya, I was worried also about what replacement if scope needed to be replaced.

Makes ya wonder, as you guys said it was “discontinued” years-ago... Not sure why.

Other then the said problems , internal and external but i got no real description. This scope is better and mounted up perfect. The magnification selector is quite harder compared to the other one, it was sloppy. Also these turrets feel better then the previous...

Excited to hit the range now.