So I just bought my first house. Due to this I’m now exploring the idea of getting a dedicated home defense weapon. Up until now that duty has fallen to me and my wife’s concealed pistols, and I’m thinking about upgrading.

I have a small (7.5” barrel) .300, but I keep it loaded with Barnes Vor-TX solid copper rounds and have bedrooms behind MOST angles in the new house. I don’t view that as a good combination.

I saw the B&T GHM9 mentioned and looked into that, and I’m thinking either that or possibly a PWS Diablo. My concerns with the Diablo are over-penetration and noise. I keep 77gr. Razorcore on hand but would NEED to suppress the weapon which would obviously add length. If I go with the B&T I’d probably use the 147 gr. federal HST’s that my Sig and Glock both get fed, but am looking into the more exotic Lehigh Xtreme defense rounds, not the Xtreme penetrators which absolutely would over-penetrate.

What do you all think? Is one better than the other or is it a wash? Would 77gr OTM’s over-penetrate out of a 7.5” barrel? Pretty sure I could stay shorter and quieter with the B&T even suppressed, but wanted to tap y’alls knowledge.

Setting them up looks like it could be interesting also. Obviously I want a light. I’m thinking an auto adjusting red dot like an RMR. I tend to look down on lasers in general but is there any reason to consider one? Cramming all that onto a tiny gun seems like it might take some creative play.