Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Home defense set up?

So I just bought my first house. Due to this I’m now exploring the idea of getting a dedicated home defense weapon. Up until now that duty has fallen to me and my wife’s concealed pistols, and I’m thinking about upgrading.

I have a small (7.5” barrel) .300, but I keep it loaded with Barnes Vor-TX solid copper rounds and have bedrooms behind MOST angles in the new house. I don’t view that as a good combination.

I saw the B&T GHM9 mentioned and looked into that, and I’m thinking either that or possibly a PWS Diablo. My concerns with the Diablo are over-penetration and noise. I keep 77gr. Razorcore on hand but would NEED to suppress the weapon which would obviously add length. If I go with the B&T I’d probably use the 147 gr. federal HST’s that my Sig and Glock both get fed, but am looking into the more exotic Lehigh Xtreme defense rounds, not the Xtreme penetrators which absolutely would over-penetrate.

What do you all think? Is one better than the other or is it a wash? Would 77gr OTM’s over-penetrate out of a 7.5” barrel? Pretty sure I could stay shorter and quieter with the B&T even suppressed, but wanted to tap y’alls knowledge.

Setting them up looks like it could be interesting also. Obviously I want a light. I’m thinking an auto adjusting red dot like an RMR. I tend to look down on lasers in general but is there any reason to consider one? Cramming all that onto a tiny gun seems like it might take some creative play.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think 9mm SBR/pistol is good set up. I have my MPX set up for HD with 147gr Gold Dots

Downloads
    Uploads
    Few questions...

Do you have neighbors?

Second/third etc floor bedrooms?

How much land/yard do you have? Possible engagement of 100m+?

Outlets and/or motion activated lights on first floor/stairs? For shadow projection.

For cqb distances you need a slow, large bullet that'll go through intermediate barriers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on the home purchase! Where are the pics?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Congrats on the home purchase! Where are the pics?

Thanks! Not much to show atm, house is still being built. I mean, I could put up the floor plan and unfinished front of the house lol.

Edit. Here you go.

Name:  49A879C7-971A-4FF2-BFA8-A46F83097847.jpeg
Views: 304
Size:  784.6 KB

Hmm. Well, TRIED putting up the floor plan but for some reason it’s not letting me. I’ll give it a shot tonight.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 5 May 2019 at 14:06.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Single story. Brick/stone exteriors. Neighbors yes with houses of similar construction. Yards are what I would say is average in suburbia. House is still being built so nothing plugged in. Construction puts kids rooms more towards the front than the master. It’ll have a security system. Longest shot lame is idk, 30-40ft.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    After consultation with a home defense expert, I revise my input and suggest you buy a double barrel shot gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    After consultation with a home defense expert, I revise my input and suggest you buy a double barrel shot gun.

Your... expert... suggests only having two shots? What? Bc they’re big?
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    You spec out a gun room yet?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a plan we're currently looking at... unfinished area has my name all over it.

Name:  1411Dlw_1200x900fp.png
Views: 293
Size:  169.9 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thinking you know more about guns than I do so use your judgment. The reason for this response is a light. I originally resisted getting any sort of light for HD but the thought of shooting a relative or confused neighbor changed my mind. I have a weapons light on my AR and two or three hand held lights. If you are going to shoot make sure the guy needs to be shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    I'm thinking you know more about guns than I do so use your judgment. The reason for this response is a light. I originally resisted getting any sort of light for HD but the thought of shooting a relative or confused neighbor changed my mind. I have a weapons light on my AR and two or three hand held lights. If you are going to shoot make sure the guy needs to be shot.
    All defensive/duty guns need a light. You're absolutely right, ID'ing the target to make sure it needs some rounds down range is critical.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No dedicated gun room. Massive closet though that will house the safe. Here's the floor plan. Not as cool as yours

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 384
Size:  594.0 KB
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Man that's a huge walk in closet in the master. Size rivals the other bedrooms!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on the house! While this is a firearms forum a visit to a friend's house taught me a whole lot and got me thinking in new ways.

If you are home it's easy relatively speaking to have firearms coming out the whazoo. What happens if you drive up on your new digs and someone is there? Naturally you want to call the cops, but you still need a plan from the inside or outside.

In my town more people have been killed by driving up on a burglary rather than someone coming inside on them by like 10 to 1.

My friend has a lot of really nice camera and surveillance system which makes things very nice.

He had an app on his phone that he could check out the house or his gun safe at any time. We would be eating dinner and he could see all over including outside. Not to mention if someone did break in this would give lots of evidence.

Guns are great but sometimes that's the first thing thieves go for when you aren't at home.

I'm not a big technology buff but I was made a believer after staying at his house for a while.

It's not just defense but offense as well, even sort of passive offense.