Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    No dedicated gun room. Massive closet though that will house the safe. Here's the floor plan. Not as cool as yours

Attachment 6513
    DRH?

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    My friend has a lot of really nice camera and surveillance system which makes things very nice.

He had an app on his phone that he could check out the house or his gun safe at any time. We would be eating dinner and he could see all over including outside. Not to mention if someone did break in this would give lots of evidence.
    The flip side to that is that smart home security leaves you vulnerable to hackers; IoT cybersecurity tends to be quite poor, as there is little incentive to beef it up. Now, it's extremely unlikely that a hacker will specifically target your home; instead, I'm much more worried about generalized viruses and malware that would impact swaths of users. You're also placing a lot of trust in the company that hosts/runs your security, as now they have video and audio feed into your home.

I'm definitely getting a security set-up from Nest when my house is completed, but I have also weighed those issues, and decided that it's worth the squeeze, but I'm also the guy that leaves Google location tracking on because I find the convenience and data generated a worthwhile trade-off of my privacy.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 5 May 2019 at 21:20.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah DRH.

And Yeah the closet is huge. It's gonna b a changing room for me on my super early mornings so I don't wake up the wife. As for security, the house comes with a security system installed, no video far as I know, just monitors doors/Windows etc.

Also not to worried about someone showing up while no one is home. My wife is a stay at home mom and homeschools the kids so unless they're at a group homeschool event or shopping, there's almost always someone there. Conveniently, she's not to bad when it comes to running a gun. Both her handgun and her AR.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Camera which is app accessible on phone in first floor which can see the stairs is a good idea.

Otherwise with those distances and construction a 300blk with coupled pmags zerod for 40ish yards with a light Lazer zero for 10y will be the best option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have NO DOUBTS as to the stopping power of my .300
    It’s actually one of my favorite guns, just concerned about over penetration and would prefer something that would ideally stop IN the bad guy.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    A big dog and a 12 gauge filled with #4 buckshot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    9mm/pistol would surprise you compared to 5.56 in terms of overpenetration

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/07...ation-testing/

Downloads
    Uploads
    A fairly decent real world test.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Kinda sounds like 5.56 *might* be the way to go. I’m not concerned about anything leaving the house with the stone exterior. I’ve already got 5.56’s though, and while something super short might be cool, something else entirely might be cool to. Idk though, mission first.

Maybe I need to also start looking up gel tears of the 147gr HST vs. a 77gr OTM out of a short barrel. And .300 while I’m at it.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 6 May 2019 at 12:24.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    77gr Razorcore 10.5” barrel

https://youtu.be/pzicw0Q8HRg

9mm 147gr HST from S&W:

https://youtu.be/hrIiclxyKKI

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! Not I’m a position to watch videos right now but I’ll definitely get to those!
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    What’s wrong with a good old pistol with 147gr hst’s and a handheld Surefire?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    What’s wrong with a good old pistol with 147gr hst’s and a handheld Surefire?
    Nothing.

I think sometimes this is way over analyzed. My home defense go-to is a Glock 17 (all factory, including the magazine, Glock Night sights) and a Surefire X300.

If I had acreage, or in a more remote area, I'd probably change the loadout, but my Glock 17 IMHO will handle just about all problems that I can reasonably expect at Zero Dark Thirty.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Nothing.

I think sometimes this is way over analyzed. My home defense go-to is a Glock 17 (all factory, including the magazine, Glock Night sights) and a Surefire X300.

If I had acreage, or in a more remote area, I'd probably change the loadout, but my Glock 17 IMHO will handle just about all problems that I can reasonably expect at Zero Dark Thirty.
    Asking your opinion here as you are married etc (unlike me)... but what is your opinion about taking the shooter him or herself into account?

You might be totally fine under stress and using a pistol, but what about your wife? I am not asking that directly but rather rhetorically.

A close family friend who was in a prominent position related to law and law enforcement taught his wife using a small shotgun for those times when he wasn't around.

She was handy with it and it fit her better... I think this might be a good angle of discussion for those who have a wife and/or kids...

We can have caliber discussions all day long, but at the end of the day a 20 gauge on to 9mm on to 300 BLK on to 45ACP or whatever would put the smack down with a direct hit...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for posting, subscribing since it translates well to my own situation.

We use two Arlo exterior cameras at our house, with one in the garage covering the safe. We keep a spare on the interior of the house that we move to cover the back sliding glass door when we’re away. It’s coupled with a Simpli-Safe alarm system. Not perfect, but it’s the most economical option for us. We do get a discount on home insurance for the SS system because it’s connected to local PD and FD, which may be something to think about.

Despite the noisy retired neighbors, they do keep an eye on our property during the day. It’s great to have them as a back up, so I’d definitely recommend treating everyone as best you can when you move in to keep an eye out for you and yours.

Motion lights on the exterior is another option to consider, as well as an alert canine. We have three, and their hearing is absolutely exceptional compared to ours.

If your don’t want to get a security system, you can buy the stickers and signage off eBay to keep up appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Asking your opinion here as you are married etc (unlike me)... but what is your opinion about taking the shooter him or herself into account?

You might be totally fine under stress and using a pistol, but what about your wife? I am not asking that directly but rather rhetorically.

A close family friend who was in a prominent position related to law and law enforcement taught his wife using a small shotgun for those times when he wasn't around.

She was handy with it and it fit her better... I think this might be a good angle of discussion for those who have a wife and/or kids...

We can have caliber discussions all day long, but at the end of the day a 20 gauge on to 9mm on to 300 BLK on to 45ACP or whatever would put the smack down with a direct hit...
    Unfortunately, my wife is not into firearms at all, and has no interest in them. It is what it is.

In the event of an emergency, she'd lock herself into the designated panic/security room, and call 911.... and no we don't have some crazy panic room like in the movies. Think Reinforced door/frame, deactivated phone on a charger that can still dial out to 911.