Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

RDS recommendations

I need to get another RDS. I have an Aim point T2 on one gun and it's awesome.

That said I want to shorten up a list of other potential candidates as well.

It's not that I don't like the T2. I would have a lot more than one but there is a cost there.

I'm on the fence about saving up for another T2 or trying out something more budget. Not too much budget because I don't want a POS, but good enough.

What's my top 3 options excluding the T2?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Budget conscious, my top two choices:

Vortex SPARC-AR
    Sig Romeo lines

Both have been surprisingly robust. Battery life of course is not as good as Aimpoint, but those two have been good to my 9mm sub guns

Holosun also seems to be coming out with higher quality optics.

Bang for the buck, I still like used T1's, if you look hard enough you can find them for Sub $400. Or PRO's for sub $300.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the biggest things I love about the T2 is it doesn't matter conditions you can see the dot.

I like a lot of things about it but I'm still willing to consider other options.

I will try to stop by a local dealer or two and look through the others before I make up my mind.

It's going on a 300 BLK so adjustments and so forth are important. I might be shooting 110 grain burners one day and 220 subs the next so field expedient adjustments are a must.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve found used T1s under $400. And the Trijicon MRO can be had new for approx $350ish without mount if you wait for sales.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I’ve found used T1s under $400. And the Trijicon MRO can be had new for approx $350ish without mount if you wait for sales.
    I'm not in a hurry. I will need to save up some before I splurge. I have a pecking order of stuff I need or want so I have to prioritize.

I'm kind of of the school that if you buy quality stuff it's a whole lot better at retaining value so this is giving me something to consider.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just bought a Trijicon MRO from OpticsPlanet for something like $350 ... don't have any real-world experience with it yet but it seems like a solid unit. I have 4 or 5 T1's, a couple Comp M4s and various cheapies for comparison so I have a pretty good idea what the competition looks like. I'll chime in again after I've used it for a while.

Downloads
    Uploads
    T2 is the top of the line for RDS.

T1 and MRO are close seconds to it.

I've used all the above, have a T1 and an MRO right now on two guns. Both are 2MOA's, both are awesome.

Don't cheap out on a mount, red loctite and all that.

Stay away from anything else for the possibility of people shooting.

For gaming and whatnot, use whatever you want, it doesn't matter.

Stay away from SIG. Used the SPARC, did a review - http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/vortex-...-sparc-ii.html - decent, not a working optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    EOTech HWSs are cool again

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    EOTech HWSs are cool again
    Not with me they are not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I cannot recommend anything aside from the t2 or h2 for a working gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve found used H1’s for around $500 with good mounts, and I’ve picked up LE trade in M4’s for $350 ish.

Holosun’s are pretty decent for the price but it’s worth investing in a better mount such as a DD fixed as the factory mounts are junk.

I’ve had a few Sparc’s as well, no complaints.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    T2- GDI mount...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    just for reference...

people shooting RDS (2MOA preferred)

Lowest possible acceptable -> Best

PRO / MRO / COMP M4 -> H1/2 -> T1/2

Acceptable mounts for people shooting RDS

BOBRO (if you need QD or not) -> Geissele

(That's it)

If anyone tells you anything different just assume they drink decaf coffee and light beer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Regarding mounts... I have a CMT lower 1/3 mount that works great. It's not QD, but I am wondering if there is anything other than sheer personal preference to optic height?

Scopes and whatnot are not included in this discussion. Just RDS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Regarding mounts... I have a CMT lower 1/3 mount that works great. It's not QD, but I am wondering if there is anything other than sheer personal preference to optic height?

Scopes and whatnot are not included in this discussion. Just RDS.
    Personal preference for co-witness or just natural point of aim if you don't run irons.

For a cheap-ish fixed mount for a Micro, the Daniel Defense mounts aren't bad. But I pretty much put a Bobro on everything.