Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually Bobro everything.

You never specified ... this optic have to be duty grade or plinking grade?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Regarding mounts... I have a CMT lower 1/3 mount that works great. It's not QD, but I am wondering if there is anything other than sheer personal preference to optic height?

Scopes and whatnot are not included in this discussion. Just RDS.

QD is great if your RD goes down, you pop it off, put it in your pocket, flip up the irons and keep bangin away. I also found out from my insurance company that anything on my rifles that mounts as a QD isnt considered part of the rifle if its stolen so they cover it as personal property since the firearms are only covered to a certain amount. Just an added bonus. Absolute CO-W requires me to lower my cheek weld down to where it feels stupid. Lower 3rd feels like a natural cheek weld. Guess it kinda depends on your facial structure. Put the rifle up to your shoulder, close your eyes, drop your cheek onto the stock and settle in naturally with your eyes closed. Now open your eyes, and look through the optic, thats your natural cheek weld...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    QD is great if your RD goes down, you pop it off, put it in your pocket, flip up the irons and keep bangin away. I also found out from my insurance company that anything on my rifles that mounts as a QD isnt considered part of the rifle if its stolen so they cover it as personal property since the firearms are only covered to a certain amount. Just an added bonus. Absolute CO-W requires me to lower my cheek weld down to where it feels stupid. Lower 3rd feels like a natural cheek weld. Guess it kinda depends on your facial structure. Put the rifle up to your shoulder, close your eyes, drop your cheek onto the stock and settle in naturally with your eyes closed. Now open your eyes, and look through the optic, thats your natural cheek weld...
    Primary Arms Advanced Microdot Scope. About $170 bucks. No, it's not a T1 or T2 but I tested one for a couple of weeks, and was pretty impressed. I put it up on the Pay it Forward thread a few years ago. I didn't do anything stupid like freeze it in a block of ice and blast it out with dynamite, or throw it out the window of a fighter jet traveling MACH 3, but the dot was very good in sunlight, and I did put it into the fridge to see if it was sealed good enough not to form condensation inside. Passed those tests with flying colors. Also, only water proof to about 10 meters. I couldn't swim that far down anyways. I think Naytwan snagged it when I gave it away, you might PM him and ask how it worked out for him.

Stone, what insurance company is that? I can't find any home owners insurance co.'s that will cover firearms even if your safe is as secure as Fort Knox. Is it a company that just specializes guns? I think I get a tiny amount of insurance through the NRA, but I don't think it amounts to jack squat.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 20 May 2019 at 20:52.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    just for reference...

people shooting RDS (2MOA preferred)

Lowest possible acceptable -> Best

PRO / MRO / COMP M4 -> H1/2 -> T1/2

Acceptable mounts for people shooting RDS

BOBRO (if you need QD or not) -> Geissele

(That's it)

If anyone tells you anything different just assume they drink decaf coffee and light beer.
    Oh, so I should pull off the Larues and GDI mounts and smash them with a hammer and call Bill and Mr. Bobro, order new mounts because some dude on the internet said so, check...Reminds me of the standard OS response of "Colt, Glock, BCM" Everything else is shit, if you disagree with us we will flame you, then ban you. Check that shit at the door dude...
    Last edited by Stone; 20 May 2019 at 22:30.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Stone, what insurance company is that? I can't find any home owners insurance co.'s that will cover firearms even if your safe is as secure as Fort Knox. Is it a company that just specializes guns? I think I get a tiny amount of insurance through the NRA, but I don't think it amounts to jack squat.

FT
    State Farm. My HO policy is good to like 5K on firearms. But all the stuff on my rifles that has a QD is considered Personal property. Red dots, lights, etc,etc... A T2, X300u is an easy grand times each rifle. Adds up quick... So in the unlikely event of theft or fire or whatever I can recoop more.
    Last edited by Stone; 20 May 2019 at 20:52.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still running a Comp M2 on my work rifle....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I usually Bobro everything.

You never specified ... this optic have to be duty grade or plinking grade?
    I don't have 'duty' other than to burn ammo but I like nice stuff. Also nice stuff holds value way better and is much nicer to use. Plus 5 years from now nice stuff still works. And when it comes to RDS nice stuff works in the rain or on bright sunny days.

I am tempted to just say screw it and buy another T2. They are a known quantity.

Could I live with a cheaper red dot? Probably. Would I ultimately be as happy with it? Probably not. The feeling I get here is that the T1-2 are pretty much the top tier and nobody is questioning that.

That all being said I don't have the luxury to try out all the various things out there.

When it comes to some things they are proven to be just better. Other things are simply just more expensive because of branding but don't bring anything extra to the game. I would rather have less quantity of nice guns than more of the middle of the road or low end stuff.

At the end of the day all of my guns are strictly for fun, but that doesn't negate me wanting nice stuff. Pretty much applies to most stuff I tend to like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have typically not been a big fan of QD mounts because my early exposure to them were cheap junky Chinese made shit. It wasn't until I got here (on WEVO) several years back that I had my first encounter with quality QD and that was the mount that came with my Atlas bipod.

With something of that quality, I could live with a QD. I could in theory just get a good QD mount and move the T2 I have between my two SBR's but that would get old after a while.

As far as storage, theft etc... at least for the past several years and whatnot all of my guns are kept in a very secure place with people around almost 24-7. Later on when I build my own estate with my own shooting gallery and lanes and what not I would probably build with storage, fire and security in mind.

As far as the height of the mount goes this is one downside to shooting by myself 90% of the time. I never get to try out other people's stuff. Trying something for 5 or 10 minutes often is an 'AHA!' moment or it's a nahhh moment.

Spending a lot of money on random stuff that isn't really up to par, or that I have zero experience with is part of the reason I am more picky about where and on what I spend my money these days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, so I should pull off the Larues and GDI mounts and smash them with a hammer and call Bill and Mr. Bobro, order new mounts because some dude on the internet said so, check...Reminds me of the standard OS response of "Colt, Glock, BCM" Everything is shit, if you disagree with us we will flame you, then ban you. Check that shit at the door dude...
    Chill man. He has his own opinions. He's making educated comments and/or at least has a long history of doing so. It might not be the SAME opinion as me, you, UW, or whoever but that's no reason to go off on somebody who's been here doing good and contributing for so long. Just sayin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Chill? Im not going to lose any sleep over it. That wasnt an opinion, that was BS. Opinions dont include pissing down peoples necks by adding ignorant comments. That shit has been going on for a long time on other forums. Theres no need for it here. Besides, I dont need a go between. And, we are moving on...
    Last edited by Stone; 20 May 2019 at 22:28.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, so I should pull off the Larues and GDI mounts and smash them with a hammer and call Bill and Mr. Bobro, order new mounts because some dude on the internet said so, check...Reminds me of the standard OS response of "Colt, Glock, BCM" Everything else is shit, if you disagree with us we will flame you, then ban you. Check that shit at the door dude...
    I've owned a few GDI mounts, and they were very sub-par. One the T2 mount, the cross-bolt apparatus hit the top of the 1913 valley and canted the sight by 20moa or so on the zero. A friends sourced at a different time, did the same thing. Visually crooked on the rail. That pretty much sealed the deal with GDI for me. Not good enough.

LaRue mounts are okay if you get them so tight you cannot QD them without using a molle strap under the lever to pry them off. In recent years, Mark has changed from "Stomp that fucker closed" to "like opening a beer can".

Bobro, I am not sure I am a fan of, either, due to all of the issues I've read about with their breaking "recoil feet", bolt studs, and so forth. The whole thing depends on spring power, which I don't like, but then, so does my scope to hold zero, so I'm kindof "unsure" when it comes to Bobro, but my personal experience is that they work okay.

I prefer "hard mounts" like the Nightforce, badger, et al. I think we are at a point where quality optics are more durable than QD mounts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    State Farm. My HO policy is good to like 5K on firearms. But all the stuff on my rifles that has a QD is considered Personal property. Red dots, lights, etc,etc... A T2, X300u is an easy grand times each rifle. Adds up quick... So in the unlikely event of theft or fire or whatever I can recoop more.
    I have SF, as well. Just buy a supplemental policy from them and cover it all by serial #. It's not much, and it eliminates guesswork.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn’t know you guys were so attached to your mounts!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gosh I'm using the factory mount on an Aimpoint Pro attached to my work rig. The horror!

Downloads
    Uploads
    No love for the CompM5 here?

The Aimpoint PRO is probably the safest budget choice when buying new.

You can probably find used RMRs for a decent price these days, as people dump them for the ACRO and SRO.