Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question for LMT owners ...

Took the new LMT pistol to the range today. Thought I would only need one magazine for test purposes. Shot great, would not lock back on the empty magazine.

Came home and did some additional testing. Would not lock back on an empty magazine when cycling the charging handle. Hmmmm

Fiddled with the pistol for awhile, then took a look at the magazine. A recently purchased 30 round gen-2 Pmag. Okay, lets try another one ... another gen-2 - same issue. Tried a Colt aluminum 20 round - locked back perfectly.

Okay ... tried a gen-3 Pmag - worked perfectly. Now I'm confused. Tried eight gen-2 Pmags - none worked. Tried a dozen gen-3 Pmags - they all worked.

The magazine followers appear to be the same size and shape, just a different color.

My position on this is that the lower should work the same with any magazine if you are just cycling the charging handle.

The Gen-2 Pmags do not push the bolt catch up at all, much less enough to activate the catch.

The lower is the LMT ambi version. Not sure if the ambi parts are impairing the bolt catch movement. Even if that were true, what could be the follower/spring differences between gen-2 and gen-3 ... not even considering Colt mags and DHS aluminum work it just fine.

I have not contacted LMT yet. Not sure it would be their problem anyway.

Any thoughts or input greatly appreciated.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pull the lower off and insert an empty mag, one that worked then one that didnt work. See how much the BCR is over the follower. Its possible the bolt catch is out of spec. and its dropping behind it...

"what could be the follower/spring differences between gen-2 and gen-3"

Magpul changed the geometry on the Gen3 so it would work with more platforms or something to that effect. I had just the opposte problems with my ambi LWRC lowers, wont lock back on Gen3 pmaags... There is a noticeable difference between the Gen2 and Gen3. The guarantee that all AR15 mags will work in all lowers is an assumption on our part, not always the case.
    Last edited by Stone; 30 May 2019 at 16:56.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My position on this is that the lower should work the same with any magazine if you are just cycling the charging handle.
    Agreed, of course assuming a proper in-spec mag. I would certainly call LMT and they'll likely be familiar with the issue and may walk through some troubleshooting over the phone.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Bolt catch notch on the Gen2’s is flawed. Known to cause issues with many weapons including SCAR’s and HK’s. You can see the difference, one is squared off on the bottom and one is rounded.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All I know is that my NZ MARS shipped with a PMAG gen3 and that's what the NZDF uses. I don't think I even own any gen 2s

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Pull the lower off and insert an empty mag, one that worked then one that didnt work. See how much the BCR is over the follower. Its possible the bolt catch is out of spec. and its dropping behind it...

"what could be the follower/spring differences between gen-2 and gen-3"

Magpul changed the geometry on the Gen3 so it would work with more platforms or something to that effect. I had just the opposte problems with my ambi LWRC lowers, wont lock back on Gen3 pmaags... There is a noticeable difference between the Gen2 and Gen3. The guarantee that all AR15 mags will work in all lowers is an assumption on our part, not always the case.
    Thanks Stone, that was the first thing I tried. BCR rides well over the follower (same amount) on all three generations of PMags. But the Gen-1 and Gen-2 won't lift it.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sinner, took note of that. With the upper completely removed, all three activate the BCR. With the upper installed (without the BCG) when a Gen-1 or Gen-2 is inserted, I can activate the BCR by hand and it has an audible "snap" as it activates; like it is binding on something. But that is not the case with the upper removed.

I have sent a message to LMT via their "Contact Us" form. If I don't get a reply, I will call. Pic below, left to right ... Gen-1 Gen-2 Gen-3.

Name:  IMG_4385 PMags-2.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  1.06 MB
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an older LMT about 7 years old and it cycles with about any mag or ammo I feed it but I've changed the Followers out with magpul and usually just use magpul, all gen 3 or newer.
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I received a very quick response from Michael Pascuiti at LMT this morning. He basically said what is contained in your responses above ... a known issue, no real fix. He said that even if they shipped some parts and springs, it would not resolve the issue. Nicely stated, and very professional.

So, "It is what it is."

I'll just take the appropriate magazines when LMT goes to the range.

Thanks to all for your input.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    I purposely mix in a handful of Gen3 pmags in my mag box for training. They malfunction but I dont know its coming when I am running and gunnin. Keeps me frosty on malf. remediation.

I have had nothing but issues withe Gen3 pmags in most of my rifles, piston and DI. The Gen2's have ran flawlessly for me in everything. Its crazy how one guy has them work great then the next poster has nothing but issues. I suppose there is tolerance stacking thrown into the equation as well...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like you have the same issue I had except with a different gen pmag.

Gen2:
    Name:  mag issue 2.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  93.5 KB

Gen3: BCR drops behind the follower binding it up.
    Name:  mag issue 3.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  96.8 KB

The area on the back of the Gen3 is thicker (on the mag body) which pushes it forward or away from the BCR. They also have more play in the magwell which exacerbates the issue.
    Name:  mag issue 1.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  55.5 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well this is all giving me strong second thoughts about purchasing a Mars lower...
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually run Lancers in my guns now, also some ETS mags for range use.

Because of this thread, I tried out 6 different Gen 2 mags, only 1 would not drop. I also noticed Hexmags got caught up as well. ETS, Lancers, Gen 3 PMAGs, USGI, Surefire, all ran fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plastic magazines are only good for stockpiling for panic sales.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Humm...300 dollar forged lower and its picky about mags...lol..no thanks..sometimes I like being poor