Downloads
    Uploads

Forward Controls 1815KM (Keymo)

1815KM (Keymo) is based on our 3 prong flash suppressor/compensator, the 1815.

Precision machined from solid 4140 PH bar stock and black nitrided, it is based on our A2 sized 1815 flash suppressor/compensator. Its 3 and 9 o'clock ports are angled up at 8 degrees, and smaller than the 12 o'clock port so more gas is vented through the upward facing ports, its flash suppression and compensator performance is superior to that of an A2, thanks to its open ended design. 1815KM is compatible with all Dead Air Silencers .223 sound suppressors.

1815KM is perhaps the shortest Dead Air Keymo flash suppressor/mount for its lines of sound suppressors, at 2.68".

1815KM First Run as this batch is called has a visual imperfection, in that its top flash suppressor port doesn't like up with the Keymo mount's top slot. This has no bearing on functionality, as long as the user times the 1815KM off the flash suppressor's 12 o'clock port. 1815KM has been marked down to Dead Air allowed minimum advertised price of $89, we have a few dozen left from this short production run still.

You can find 1815KM First Run here http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com...Run_p_170.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to check it out. Main reason being, I find the usual KeyMo Mounts are too long, glad you cut this one shorter. When using unsuppressed, the usual KeyMo Muzzle devices make 10.5" barrels seem really long.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like the length listed on the site is 2.38. Even better.

I cut down a couple of dead air brakes just to fit the small rifle in it’s small bag! I would think a very short forward blast KM muzzle device (sub A2 length) would be marketable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm obsessed with keeping our muzzle devices as short as can be. Longer, well designed flash suppressors would suppress flash signature better, at the expense of longer length.

Shorter flash suppressors are more handy, a bit of length difference may not be a big deal on a 14.5 to 20 inch barrel, but as you guys pointed, out, on shorter barrels, a long muzzle device somewhat negates the compactness of the idea of SBR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Looks like the length listed on the site is 2.38. Even better.

I cut down a couple of dead air brakes just to fit the small rifle in it’s small bag! I would think a very short forward blast KM muzzle device (sub A2 length) would be marketable.
    Man if someone had a Keymo in a sub A2 length that would be the shizzle. That's one of the things I like about Griffin, they have tiny mounts as options. I like your idea of just having a forward blast device.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Keymo mount portion itself is very long, I think the flash suppressor would not be effective if it has very short prongs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    The Keymo mount portion itself is very long, I think the flash suppressor would not be effective if it has very short prongs.
    I agree. Then again on an SBR / pistol nothing suppresses flash well. That’s why I thought the forward blast version probably the best option if a shorty KM was made. It would be for those who run DA cans and need the shortest footprint while still having a real function if unsuppressed. The other option is just a threaded KM mount that has no function but the mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The one made by JMAC has just the Keymo mount and nothing forward of the tapered area of the mount. I'd want some functionality, flash suppression preferred. A2 length muzzle devices is about as short as you can get while still being able to meaningfully suppress flash.

Shown with RHF (Railed Hand guard, FCD) and MCF (MLOK Cover, FCD)
    Last edited by Duffy; 20 June 2019 at 11:21.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Roger, I'm just wondering for dedicated suppressed setups if something shorter would be possible, and if it is, would it even sell? Just thinking out loud here because like fledge said, nothing that's 10.5" is going to suppress flash well anyway. A mini flash suppressor or something that directs everything forward would be something i'd be interested in. Anyhow, like I said, just thinking out loud. If it's something that's feasible, in demand, and usable, I'm sure you would have already put it on the drawing board.

Looking forward to using the existing design on Saturday!

Downloads
    Uploads
    10.5" would need something with pretty long prongs to suppress well. An A2 sized 1815 does a decent job :)

This was taken of a regular 1815, not 1815KM, out of a 10.5" barrel.

If the prongs were longer (could be angled to reduce the overall length), we could do a better job suppressing the flash. Vortex and Blackout both are longer than A2, BE Meyers is even longer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I tried to find the JMAC version with just the mount but all my searching pulled up was their long brake.

Before dead air put the wrench flats on the brake, the mounting areas was considerably shorter. But customers wanted to pin the brake so they updated the design.

I imagine creating these designs off the KM that are both aesthetic and functional is difficult.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The design work was already done by the guys at Dead Air, and they continue to improve on it. I kind of wish the lugs were all the same, so the user wouldn't have to line up the correct slot with the triangle on the can to mount it, but I'm sure they have their reasons.