Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You know it never occurred to me that silver bars were possibly collectible. Especially since I'm thinking... you can just melt it down at any time and brand whatever you want on them. I could see how some older ones would be cool though.
    Back in the early 80's silver hit an all time high and alot of people cashed in bars. Well alot of the older Engalhard and Johnson Matthey bars got melted so what remains today is a remnant of what once was out there. So the scarcity of some of these bars makes for some crazy high prices.

Unlike silver most of the gold ever mined is still around. Silver gets consumed up in cell phones, computers, electronics, solar panels etc,etc. Most of that is never recovered so it puts an eventual strain on supply.

Heres a 100 year chart, pretty interesting. https://www.macrotrends.net/1470/his...100-year-chart
    Last edited by Stone; 2 July 2019 at 16:45.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Just noticed a new video from long-time YouTuber Cull Silver on how he recently sold some Gold to buy a boat. Maybe you'll find this interesting:

Downloads
    Uploads
    What what do you think? 1oz, 5oz, or 10oz bars?

Or a combo?

So far, I've taken a liking to the Silver Eagles...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Silver and Gold Eagles are probably the most widely recognized and easiest to move. I like Britannias as well. Both are exempt from Capital Gains taxes. If I were still buying Silver I'd probably stick to name-brand 10oz bars. The coins are a pain in the ass to store. Keep in mind silver will tarnish in contact with air. If you're dead-set on Silver, be sure to vacuum-pack any bars you buy. Another reason I like Gold ... it's non-reactive and requires no special care.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The air is filled with many different compound gases, including several that contain sulfur. The sulfur reacts with the silver to create silver sulfide, which appears as a dark coating on the silver. Moisture and humidity can promote these reactions, which is why silver tarnishes quicker when the air is damp or humid. Keeping your stash in a col dry place is best. I use Pacific silvercloth which acts as a sacraficial to protect the silver. Milk spots are another issue and can develope on coins and especially proof coins. Maple leafs are the worst offenders, I would avoid anything from the Royal canadian mint like the plague except their 10 and 100 ounce bars. One ounce bars are really small and over time, logistically can be a PITA. Five ounce bars are in the same catagory as the one ounce, just not a great way to store them and not as popular at resale as 10 and 100 ounce bars.

https://silverguard.com/pages/pacific-silvercloth-faqs

Cut squares about 2"x2" and crumple it up and place it in the top of the tube of your Eagles. All coins have the possibility to milk spot, the Silvercloth will prevent it...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Silver spot price is on the rise. $16.50 and creeping up...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Silver spot price is on the rise. $16.50 and creeping up...
    I noticed! I also noticed how I love how heavy this 10oz bar is. I kind of want just 1kg bar, just to say I have it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    https://bullionexchanges.com/1-kilo-...er-bar-w-assay

Just ordered a few of these...

Wait until you hold a 100 ounce or a 5 kilo bar...

Downloads
    Uploads

Au Good Delivery Bar

Name:  Good-Delivery-Bar_Au_3D_995_800_20130110_02.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  382.5 KB

When I get rich, I want to have a few of these in the safe

They're only about half a million bucks each ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Name:  Good-Delivery-Bar_Au_3D_995_800_20130110_02.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  382.5 KB

When I get rich, I want to have a few of these in the safe

They're only about half a million bucks each ...
    Insane to think two bars and you have a cool 1M in the safe that takes up a lot less space than cash.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Insane to think two bars and you have a cool 1M in the safe that takes up a lot less space than cash.
    Absolutely! I wonder how much 1M in cash weighs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    Absolutely! I wonder how much 1M in cash weighs?
    22lbs in $100 bills.

Over a ton in $1s.

https://www.reference.com/science/mu...b82498c203efdb

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess it just took Dave to tell me that I could have 1M in the safe taking up the space of 2 gold bars to realize, that's really the only way to stay liquid and somewhat protect yourself from inflation.

I guess it's time to make another order!

Downloads
    Uploads
    When it comes to weight, I prefer 10 oz. and 1 oz. despite the extra storage capacity the smaller weights are concerned. And that, I think is due directly to my reasons, vs. someone else's for backing my money with silver and a little gold. Other's are investing hoping silver and gold to hit all time high's again for a solid investment with a sell call. In that case it doesn't matter how large your investment is, whether coins or bars, and by bars, I mean that literally, because a sell off would be much more simple in "large denominations",

Mine is a hedge fund against the failure of the U.S. Dollar, basically, and a SHTF fund, to a lesser extent. Therefore, in a SHTF scenario, I don't want to go into a negotiation without back-up and small denominations. If I go in knowing that I'm trying to buy antibiotics, and I know I can get it for a "hypothetical" amount of 25 oz.. of silver, I certainly wouldn't expect someone to have change, or even consider giving me "change" for a Kilo of silver or gold or whatever and the sellers not shooting me in the head for being stupid enough to brin a gold bar for a relatively small transaction or trade.. I'm of the opinion that depending on your purpose for hoarding silver and gold. dictates the size of the size of your investment in terms of weight.
    If you've got enough money to fill a typical gun safe with Gold, bars and it's over flowing, you probably don't have jack squat to worry about it one way or the other. Brings me to dream about owning a beautiful boat and fishing boat, and sipping rum off the coast of Key West with a fishing line hooked to my toe.

FT
    Last edited by FortTom; 24 July 2019 at 12:06.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just for shits, I decide I needed a 1 Kilo Bar of Silver. Maybe a 100 oz'er is in my future.