Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Slings and stuff

Time for more brain picking on you LEO or Military guys.

Every now and then I peruse Youtube or whatever and I found this video below. Starting at 7:15 he talks about slings.

Not that I am any kind of tactical ninja or whatever, but this was very timely as I did a lot of experimentation in the past and pretty much came up in my head with something very similar even down to the vertical grip (and why) that he has. Basically I feel like I have better overall control with a VFG rather than an angled one or just bare rail.

My sling of choice is the Magpul MS1. Quite a while ago I started looping the webbing through the stock and using the QD socket that is machined into the hand guard right near the barrel nut area.

While I am not raiding a house, I do need to drive a mule (the 4 wheel kind), climb fences, walk around or move and go through sometimes very thick pine thickets or whatever. Being able to tighten everything up so my rifle isn't flopping around is just great.

That all said is there any benefit to moving the forward QD point forward at all? I see some people who have the forward QD socket way out. If I was going to do that I would need to buy a couple of Mlok QD sockets but before I do that I would like to hear what some of you guys think or how you run your slings.

On another note along the same lines, my QD point spins all the way around if I let it, but I see some of the sockets out there are labeled as anti rotational. I guess that just means it won't rotate all the way around so your sling won't get twisted?

I am also wondering if the MLok QD sockets are or would be more durable over a long period of time than just the hole that's machined into the rail.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are welcome basically for discussion purposes...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pine thickets? Son, allow me to introduce you to multiflora rose.

It makes hunting in Ohio interesting.

Unsolicited Govt employee advice: Join us in 2019 and get a MS4 or VTAC and call it good.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Pine thickets? Son, allow me to introduce you to multiflora rose.

It makes hunting in Ohio interesting.

Unsolicited Govt employee advice: Join us in 2019 and get a MS4 or VTAC and call it good.
    The pine is extremely thick around where I am for sure. I don't always get out in it, but from time to time I go plug some pigs when the opportunity arises.

I also do a lot of driving around here and at the other properties where I shoot or other things where I am moving around more. Also throw in some low visibility out in the country and having a decent sling setup vs just carrying the gun is not a bad idea even if it's not some big ultra tactical thing.

I do have the attachments that came with my sling--I think they read MS3 so maybe I do have a later version or two. At the end of the day I am really leaning towards 'simple is better'.

I will definitely look into the other slings-- I am always learning or trying to learn new stuff and for the past couple of years I have been pushing myself to do and try new things etc which ends up bring up new questions as to how to best do things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    more sling video stuff:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks BoilerUp.

I will definitely watch later when I get home. I like JL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually like single point slings... as long as you know what their limitations are. Primarily, for me I know when I deploy a long gun, it won't be for long periods of time, so a sling point that attaches to the rear of my gun in a QD socket keeps the sling from interfering with my other accessories such as the light, mag changes, ect. I also know that I'll have others to go hands on, while I provide cover, so I don't have to let the gun hang and hit my junk.

If I'm going to be in a carbine class, or deploying on a patrolling type situation, I would go with the 2 point, for the reasons the video Boiler posted.

If I could only have 1 sling for everything, I'd got with a Blue Force Gear 2 point, the old Vickers Model.
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I actually like single point slings... as long as you know what their limitations are. Primarily, for me I know when I deploy a long gun, it won't be for long periods of time, so a sling point that attaches to the rear of my gun in a QD socket keeps the sling from interfering with my other accessories such as the light, mag changes, ect. I also know that I'll have others to go hands on, while I provide cover, so I don't have to let the gun hang and hit my junk.

If I'm going to be in a carbine class, or deploying on a patrolling type situation, I would go with the 2 point, for the reasons the video Boiler posted.

If I could only have 1 sling for everything, I'd got with a Blue Force Gear 2 point, the old Vickers Model.
    https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling
    I am going to have to look into that sling. That's what several people are liking. Not sure if there are any major differences between that and the MS series that I mentioned in the OP.

Other than the tan pull tab it looks almost the same. I have a tab to adjust mine fairly easily it just isn't like that one in your link.

Care to chime in on the various locations of the front QD socket? Why would someone want that front socket way out front?

As for right now I am using the socket that was machined into my rail which is right near the barrel nut. Is there any merit to getting a MLok QD socket and pushing that front QD point instead?

Also how big of a difference does "anti rotational" make or is it even something to worry about? Will a separate sling point such as the Magpul MAG606 be more durable than the one built in to my rail?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/magpul-...ttachment.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

Care to chime in on the various locations of the front QD socket? Why would someone want that front socket way out front?
    It's going to depend on how you use your rifle, how and why you're using your sling, and your body mechanics. I'll offer an anecdote as a data point, but not saying it's "the" way to run anything...

I typically run a 2-point at the rear of the handguard to the back and strong side (right for me) of the butt stock. Generally I like QDs on the front, but have a couple of CQD mounts on a couple of uppers. I'll run a QD on the butt stock for ease of removal when doing maintenance. I generally like running the front attachment point closer to the receiver because it gets it out of the way, let's me comfortably get to the mag relase/mag well for mag changes, and because it allows me to lay the gun across my left hip for transitions (typically with ejection port facing my leg/hip to keep the muzzle/suppressor of my leg).

However, I will run the sling at the forward of the rail for two reasons: 1) (Primarily) for stabilization if needing to shoot distance off-hand. I'll use that setup which allows me to push my weak hand, thumb-web towards sling, forward while tightening the sling enough to create tension so that it will stay in place easily with minimal muscle control on the weak arm. Essentially this is how I "sling out" on an AR. 2) I will sometimes put the sling up forward if I need to hump my rifle, pack and ammo some distance. Putting the sling forward and then putting the rifle across my back allows for increased retention so the muzzle isn't flopping about as much. I'll also tighten the sling to help with that once the rifle is across my back.

But really, you just need to play with the setups and see what works. A tight sling will prevent weapon manipulation but keep the rifle close. A loose sling will be annoying when transitioning or walking. Getting a sling that allows you to adjust it as needed is the key. FWIW, I own one of the BF slings and I never really liked it because it was really hard to tighten. It wasn't a smooth action at all. Could have been the sling I had. The other slings I use now allow for much more fluid movement on the "buckle" (or whatever the method of tightening/loosening is used).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run the sling mounted on the right side of the stock, wrapping behind the butt and around with a QD on the near/rear of the rail

When I put the sling on, being right handed, the sling comes under my left arm and over my right shoulder. The right side attachment means I’m not fighting it for cheek weld and I can transition to weak side if necessary. One exception is a non QD mounted sling buckled at the bottom of a stock which is an ambi type of placement. This placement (right side or bottom of the stock) also allows me to dump the rifle down and left away from my right hip where my pistol is located, so they don’t interfere. I can also spin it right and hang it around my back if I have to go hands on for first aid or something else where I don’t want a rifle being presented (or banging into a casualty etc)

I prefer padded slings if I’m not wearing kit but if I’m wearing a plate carrier or vest, I like the slimmer non padded slings

Vickers blue force gear has a nice quick adjustment sling. Magpul’s MS series had an adjustment but it’s not as fast or easy to reset as the vickers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I run the sling mounted on the right side of the stock, wrapping behind the butt and around with a QD on the near/rear of the rail
    I feel like the only people I've seen that do that are MIL guys... I do it as my old partner was a retired 1SG and told me to setup my sling like that and I never changed. So simple, but brilliant.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've found when Magpul went to the MS3, they fixed their adjustment issue and it's silky smooth now. I agree, the earlier ones, not so much. But as I said, I found the Vickers to be not easy to move (of the one and only one I have).

ETA:

I feel like the only people I've seen that do that are MIL guys... I do it as my old partner was a retired 1SG and told me to setup my sling like that and I never changed. So simple, but brilliant.
    I started doing it because, as 11B said, it prevents the cheek weld issue while also still giving a flat purchase on your shoulder, plus if you adjust the sling correctly, it allows you to go weak side if needed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the responses.

So far I think with something very similar to what I have now will be a pretty good go to for MY purposes. 99.9% of the time I won't ever need to 'sling out' but I could practice that just for the hell of it. All of my sling action is going to be on short barrels so typically I won't be shooting long distances.

The main thing I am trying to accomplish is to, like I said, be able to climb over stuff, or use my hands without having to set my weapon down in questionable (IE muddy or sandy) ground or whatever. Also it will help my weapon from flopping all over the place and swinging around too much when I am doing other stuff. Also if I take other people shooting with me (like me teaching them to shoot or whatever, just for fun) I can have them wear the sling so they don't drop my rifles (this has happened once but with a shotgun).

As far as the sling I have goes, I confirmed that it's a post MS3 version of the sling. The adjustability of the sling seems ok to me. 99.9% of the time I won't be in any race or gunfight with anything except a group of wild hogs. The way I have it attached is the sling is looped through the slot on the stock near the butt pad in a non QD configuration (it's a Magpul SLK) and the front is on the QD socket near the back of the hand guard.

I do think, now that you guys mention it practicing more shooting left handed could come in useful. I will add that to the other stuff I have been doing. I will try switching shoulders and such as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses.

So far I think with something very similar to what I have now will be a pretty good go to for MY purposes. 99.9% of the time I won't ever need to 'sling out' but I could practice that just for the hell of it. All of my sling action is going to be on short barrels so typically I won't be shooting long distances.
    You do you, as you know what you need, but something to keep in mind...slinging out, regardless of the weapon, isn't about shooting long distances necessarily. It's about steadying the shot without fatiguing. Maybe that means a small target area at 50m and not just a man-sized target at x00m.

It's just something to be aware of to have in your toolbox, even if it isn't normally applicable to your everyday use.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    You do you, as you know what you need, but something to keep in mind...slinging out, regardless of the weapon, isn't about shooting long distances necessarily. It's about steadying the shot without fatiguing. Maybe that means a small target area at 50m and not just a man-sized target at x00m.

It's just something to be aware of to have in your toolbox, even if it isn't normally applicable to your everyday use.
    That's definitely something to think about. For sure. Thanks for posting this up. For real.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just learned something new... I didn't know I could put a QD socket there.

Name:  MAG626-double-41-15.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  39.4 KB

I am going to have to think about this and see if I want to get some QD sockets for my stocks.

Another thing I do want to get is some kind of way to stow the sling by wrapping the sling around the back of the stock and securing it.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 6 July 2019 at 10:16.