Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Downloads
    Uploads
    12.5" is a great length. I have 2 Noveske Crusader 12.5" builds and they are handy and function reliably. Many years ago I did a ton of research on this. From what I remember, pressure drops off pretty significantly around 12.5" for the standard 55gr XM193 round. I can't seem to find the graph online. Any shorter, you get minimal dwell time, a lot more unburned powder at the muzzle resulting in decreased velocity, a huge fireball, super loud, etc. I can't remember who it was that wrote the article but I think it was on DefenseReview.com? Pat McNamara or maybe Kyle Defoor? Any way I decided that 12.5" was the right length for me. I also had a GemTech suppressor that specifically said in the instructions not to use it on a barrel less than 12.5" so that was the clincher. These days I don't think I'd even bother with the SBR thing; I'd just get a 14.5" with a pinned/welded flash hider and call it a day. Way too much hassle to save a couple inches, and we need to quit supporting this NFA nonsense IMHO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It may have been D4. I know he was singing its praises at a class I was at (after I had already discovered the length myself). He was actually quoting Monty, though, when he said it was an optimal length.

Then again, D4's praises and lamentations can change with the wind, so maybe it wasn't him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    These days I don't think I'd even bother with the SBR thing; I'd just get a 14.5" with a pinned/welded flash hider and call it a day. Way too much hassle to save a couple inches, and we need to quit supporting this NFA nonsense IMHO.
    With the SOLGW Nox you can get a 13.7 barrel out to 16” and use the dead air can. That’s only a functional 1.2” longer than the 12.5 and a savings of $200 and other hassles. That would be a handy little bolt gun length.

12.5 is my personal favorite too for 556 but if I had to “do it all over again....”

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    The website shows all 3 of his 11.5” barrels are cut for 5/8x24 threads....that’s a no go for me
    I believe I saw a post that he will be doing 1/2 x 28 models also & now a tapered shoulder for us Q fanboys

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a follow on question that isn't exactly NFA in nature, sort of.

The concept I have in mind is to maybe do something a little bit different from my other rifles.

My others are all billet and not exactly light weight. For this 12.5 though I am thinking about building a lighter weight 12.5 inch SBR.

I don't know if I like the skeleton receiver sets so excluding those which receiver sets would be lighter than billet?

I'm not sure if I want to go full on ultra light because I'm not sure about reliable function in an SBR format with those ultra light carriers and in my mind it doesn't warrant the cost per the last time I priced those out.

I am not set in stone here but doing something like a carbon fiber hand guard or other lighter weight things might be an interesting twist.

What do you guys think?

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice! Stuff like that is exactly what I was thinking about. I want to get a vision in my head before I jump on it. It could be a pretty fun rifle if I decide to go that route.

I will try to find a light weight hand guard that would match that set as well.

I would bet all together I could shave off a lot of weight.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Very nice! Stuff like that is exactly what I was thinking about. I want to get a vision in my head before I jump on it. It could be a pretty fun rifle if I decide to go that route.

I will try to find a light weight hand guard that would match that set as well.

I would bet all together I could shave off a lot of weight.
    This Balios build weighs 5 lbs 11 oz dry and that's with a 16" barrel and 12" handguard. Not sure what role a lightweight SBR would serve, though? Well, as I type that, I'm thinking a similar build with a 12.5" 6.8 SPC barrel would be nice for deer hunting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    This Balios build weighs 5 lbs 11 oz dry and that's with a 16" barrel and 12" handguard. Not sure what role a lightweight SBR would serve, though? Well, as I type that, I'm thinking a similar build with a 12.5" 6.8 SPC barrel would be nice for deer hunting.
    I got curious and weighed my latest build and with the optic, sling, empty mag, suppressor and everything (except ammo) it came it at 7lbs 15oz. My 5.56 SBR is probably about the same and my 16" is definitely more..."Light" is a relative term how I am using it. "Lighter" would probably be more accurate.

If I stripped everything down I think it would be about 6lbs 5oz or so...

I would think it would make a perfect hiking and camping rifle. Maybe something you could carry around in a lot of different scenarios.

That said I am not married to the idea just yet. It was just something I thought about and I said "that might be an interesting concept"... I am not totally sold on the idea just yet, but it definitely has me curious.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This one isn't NFA and it weighs in at 4.95 lbs. Hmmm. Gives me something to think about. Not sure if it would be reasonable to chase a pound.

https://faxonfirearms.com/fx5500-ultralight-ar15/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been wanting to do an sbr on an Ascend lightweight set but haven't heard anything on them since Triggrcon2018
    Name:  9727__2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  25.8 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I've been wanting to do an sbr on an Ascend lightweight set but haven't heard anything on them since Triggrcon2018
    And you won't for now.

Ascend is going through some major changes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Personally, I like dedicated platforms. Switching uppers maybe more practical and economical, but that's not how I like my rifles setup. I just like to grab and go.
    This is how I am as well...but I only have 2 at the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got my mostly Rainier parts SBR in 10.5" so far. Working on an 8" 300BO using an Aero M4E1 lower and a no FA upper. I've got 2 more M4E1 lowers I have plans for and
    thinking of grabbing an M5 set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    There's another manufacturer out of Gilbert, AZ that has a similar looking receiver set. Quentin Defense has set called ARQ that has an interesting (to me) look.

https://www.quentindefense.com/produ...ceiver-set-fa/

Ric

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sak007 I went with a pistol and standard set, still one of the nicest billet sets I have worked with period.
    Name:  wevoascendarmory.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  1.22 MB
    “Fast is fine, But accuracy is final.” Wyatt Earp