Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many SBR'ed lowers do you have?

I recently finished up my second SBR and I am really digging the ambi lower I have.

I have two lowers that are SBR but now I am thinking about doing a few more while the waiting is short.

What other calibers have you guys done your SBR's in and how many do you have?

Here is my initial short list:

A 12.5 inch 5.56 just because I've always wanted one in that length.

A 12.5 inch 6.8 SPCII because the ballistics are awesome. The downside to this mags, brass, and bolts are not plentiful that I can see.

I've never been that attracted to 6.5 Grendel but I am open to ideas. Seems like it would be in the same boat as the 6.8 SPC.

If I decide "for sure" on one or two of these I might buy a couple of lowers and just SBR them and it might take me a year or two to finish them up but at least I will have the lowers.

What do you guys think? SBR more lowers or just use the ones I already have? That would probably be a lot more practical but I like having a whole gun not just a an upper :)

Also keep in mind that I like the tinker factor. I like the build and reload and shoot process so it's not a whole lot of tactical bullshit that is making me wonder about this.

I do have at least two more cans that I want and more like six but that's another story.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I like dedicated platforms. Switching uppers maybe more practical and economical, but that's not how I like my rifles setup. I just like to grab and go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    10.5 5.56
    7 300blk
    extra Ar lower - probably gonna build a 4.5 22lr
    11.5 7.62x39 Akm
    Plans to sbr a 10/22 , Bolt gun & 308 Ar in anticipation for a 12 8.6 Creedmoor & that Wa will probably ban "pistol" braces

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have “enough” AR flavor lowers.

In general, 556, 6.8, and 300blk cover the general small frame options.

An AR308 lower would be good from an established brand (and a few upper receivers that match just in case).

Would personally like an SBR 10/22 takedown to switch out barrels now that that market has taken off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I have “enough” AR flavor lowers.

In general, 556, 6.8, and 300blk cover the general small frame options.

An AR308 lower would be good from an established brand (and a few upper receivers that match just in case).

Would personally like an SBR 10/22 takedown to switch out barrels now that that market has taken off.
    My plan for the 10/22 is to add an Innovative Arms integral charger barrel on an Odin chassis with a Sig mpx/mcx folding skeleton stock unless Aeroknox finally drops his .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Planning on doing a 10.5" in 5.56 to go with my .300 BLK. Other than that, nothing else is compelling. Longer is too close to 14.5" not to be frivolous. Shorter than 10.5" is just a jack-off gun (IMHO). Not a fan of pistol AR's, either.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    None

It’s bad enough having to register a suppressor, but my rifles on top of it? Not down with that plan. I travel a lot out of state with varying destinations on short notice. If I wanted to take a <16” gun, I may not have enough notice for a permission slip from the ATF

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    None

It’s bad enough having to register a suppressor, but my rifles on top of it? Not down with that plan. I travel a lot out of state with varying destinations on short notice. If I wanted to take a <16” gun, I may not have enough notice for a permission slip from the ATF
    This is where I’m at. I keep/kept thinking I want to do one, but realistically my folding .300 pistol kinda ticks all the boxes. If I need more than what a short .300 can give me, I have 16” 5.56’s that’ll do nicely.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    None

Yeah, if interstate travel is a common consideration and you are limited in options, that makes sense. I find I travel enough that I can’t keep all the laws straight anyway. Most of my collection is for keeping in-state. I prefer travel with a legal-in-all-50-states option to give me one less thing to think about when on the go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Planning on doing a 10.5" in 5.56 to go with my .300 BLK. Other than that, nothing else is compelling. Longer is too close to 14.5" not to be frivolous. Shorter than 10.5" is just a jack-off gun (IMHO). Not a fan of pistol AR's, either.
    You planning on running a can on that 5.56 ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Already have one. Will I buy another? Perhaps, but I don't have that "gotta have it" thing anymore. Unless some of that comes back, I might have maxed out..

But yeah, I see what you're getting at. .556 is a flame thrower at 10.5" as well.
    Last edited by Joelski; 21 July 2019 at 10:20.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me I've already gone down the rabbit hole of SBRs. I do have to say that I like it a lot. It's a whole different thing. Also for me at least up until now, and probably forever, hopefully I will have a relatively permanent place to store firearms if needed.

I think the whole NFA thing is stupid for a variety of reasons, especially suppressors and short barrels are about the stupidest thing ever to have to pay extra for. There is no technical reason at all for it, but I definitely see the aversion to the whole government bullshit.

I was surprised to see .22 SBRs on people's list...That's something new. I will have to think about that one. It might be a pretty cool idea to run a .22LR CMMG kit on one of my lowers. It would be interesting to see what other ideas some of you guys have. I saw this from SLR rifleworks the other day and it looks really cool. Theirs is also full auto.

Name:  67406210_1585903338211063_1663072935432159232_o.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  70.7 KB

As for now my only other semi sort of itch for an AR platform SBR is the 12.5" 5.56. That one I am about 90% sure I will do. The 6.8 SPC I would be 90% on as well but I don't see a whole ton of support for that cartridge right now. Just mags at least where I was looking were like $30+ per mag... I don't want to get into something that I would always have to be wondering if it will fall off support or not. It seems like it would take a slightly bigger investment to get into that but on paper it looks fantastic.

Another idea I have is to see about building a very light weight 5.56 SBR build. Do one of those where you try to use the lightest components possible might be interesting.

I still am very much on the fence about pistol caliber ARs...so for now no big thing there (yet) at least until I can find someone with one that I can run and see if I like it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Already have one. Will I buy another? Perhaps, but I don't have that "gotta have it" thing anymore. Unless some of that comes back, I might have maxed out..

But yeah, I see what you're getting at. .556 is a flame thrower at 10.5" as well.
    I have a 10.5but my next 5.56 build is going to be in an 11.5 as every gun i run is suppressed and their are better options in 11.5 with reduced gas ports to make some really nice shooters in that length . The combo I've found that works really great on short guns is a LMT enhanced carrier , A5 buffer tube , h2-3 buffer & green Sprinco spring .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I have a 10.5but my next 5.56 build is going to be in an 11.5 as every gun i run is suppressed and their are better options in 11.5 with reduced gas ports to make some really nice shooters in that length . The combo I've found that works really great on short guns is a LMT enhanced carrier , A5 buffer tube , h2-3 buffer & green Sprinco spring .
    That's interesting. Maybe I just had good luck or something like that. I run adjustable blocks on mine and I tuned it just right.

Does an adjustable block create the net effect of a smaller port size?

Anyway I run an extra power spring and an H2 with my adjustable blocks and they are very reliable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    As for now my only other semi sort of itch for an AR platform SBR is the 12.5" 5.56.
    Let's assume NFA isn't an issue for a moment, if I had to give up all of my ARs except one, i would keep my VSeven 12.5". If I could only keep two ARs, it would be the VSeven and my Centurion Arms 12.5". One is configured as a Mini-Recce, the other with a RDS, and between the two (or just one that can be reconfigured), at the end of the day either one does everything I really need.