Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post your FIRST EVER AR15 Thread:

mods.. if this thread is not okay.. just removed it...

Of course we need to dig some old pix to post on this thread. You can always remember your first time.

here's my first AR15.. she is damn ugly for my taste.. although she undergoes some massive plastic surgery later but she ain't complete yet.. i will post her new looks once she is finished..

it's a Vulcan Lower with YMM rails..

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first-ever AR-15 has long since come and gone, but it was an interesting Colt Sporter II Carbine. I bought it in 1986 for something like $600, and in most respects, it was a typical early (non-flattop) A2 configuration, though the upper was equipped with a conventional A1 style drum sight. All other features (forward assist, brass deflector, etc.) were pure A2.

The prevailing story at the time was that these uppers were built for the Canadian Army, who wanted to adopt most of our A2 upgrades, but not the "fragile" A2 sight. Whatever the case, the carbine wore a Colt 4x on the carry handle for most of it's life, and I kept it for about 10 years before trading it off, and moving more toward M1/M1A shooting.

When I got back into the AR business a few years ago, I started (not suprisingly) with an LE 6920 HB. A quality barrel is particularly important to me, so Colt and Noveske pretty much get all of my business today.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SKULL View Post
    she is damn ugly ... massive plastic surgery later ... i will post her new looks
    So far, that comes out to three references to cosmetics, and none about function -- are you sure that you haven't confused this with another forum?

Ugly is all relative, anyway: tell us how it -- or, if you insist, "she" -- shoots.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    So far, that comes out to three references to cosmetics, and none about function -- are you sure that you haven't confused this with another forum?

Ugly is all relative, anyway: tell us how it -- or, if you insist, "she" -- shoots.

AC

i have a confession to make.. although this is Weapons Evolutions not AA anonymous..

i lived in an occupied communist state named Kommifornia...

we are pretty much fvcked up when it comes to AR15's basic function. we are pretty much deprived from function that we often go for looks.

have you guys heard of bullet button? monstermans grip? maglock? owning an AR15 in Kommifornia is not for the faint heart. You have 2 choices... neutered your AR15 by going featureless to be able to use the mag release or use a maglock/bullet button and use a tool to drop the mags. However we tried to make the most of it.

We Californians are in the front lines to preserved our 2nd A rights and WE are winning. We just got Nordyke and resulted to the incorporation surprisingly from the 9th circuit which is the most liberal of 'em all.

Back to the topic: Yes.. my AR15 was a mess.. it's a Vulcan receiver and they epoxied a 10 round mag with a pin to locked the magazine to the magwell. i have to break it open to top load and always have feeding problems. so i have to drill a hole on the receiver and use a dremel to removed the epoxy and the 10 round mag then install a bullet button. It was a mess really.

but she shoots fine though....
    Last edited by SKULL; 25 April 2009 at 05:54.

Downloads
    Uploads

WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads

My first was a stock RRA A4 rifle. The upper has since been sold, and the lower was used to build a carbine.

'Yote

Downloads
    Uploads

This is just a stock pic, as the rifle is LONG gone, but it was a Bushmaster Super Varminter. I wanted the plain varminter, but my gunshop could only get one of these. I doubt I put more than a couple of hundred rounds through it, and it just wasn't for me. Too long, kinda cumbersome, and rather homely. The polished SS barrel wasn't exactly made for "varmint" hunting, either. It may have been accurate, but it was way too flashy(for my tastes).

This is my 2nd, after spending some time on WEVO. Got it last April, but sacrificed it in order to get a pair of DDM4s for myself and my brother. It's a Noveske Recce Low Profile, coyote killer. It was flawless in every way, and someday I'd love to have another, probably a 14.5, though.

So here is my current rifle, the DDM4. I've shot this one in the month or so that I've had it, more than any other rifle I've had, and it is my favorite. I would even go as far as saying I like it more than the Noveske, and other than the obvious difference in barrel material, which I could probably never tell the difference anyway, it is on par with the Noveske. I might even say it's "good enough".
    More of a history of my rifles than a "first ever".

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a NOOB -

Just completed this build with the Larue upper which just arrived yesterday.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bushmaster 16" HBAR. Removable carry handle, fixed A2 stock, no bayo lug, ten round magazine.

Qucik, guess when?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally get to contribute something other than a crap phone pic:

Armalite M15 16" Midlength, LMT BCG. After tinkering with the Magpul equipment from Larue, and the several Pmags I now have, call me a Magpul fanboy now, great stuff. I like the MBUS so far aside from the roll pin front sight "lockdown". Pics shot today shortly after zeroing at the back yard range. I doubt I'll change anything unless I manage to find the elusive Noveske 14.5" Afghan, and add a Timney 4lb trigger.
    Last edited by GriffonSec; 5 May 2009 at 20:06.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my first - a bastard rifle built from a 20" AR that I bought from a guy locally - sold the upper and bought the one shown - both on eBay of all places. (yes - it was a while ago).

If I recall correctly - I sold it to buy a camera.

Todd

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first ar15 is a spikes tactical st-15 I bought in jan. of 09 !! I still can't believe I passed on a chance many years ago to buy a colt sporter from a friend for $350

s.m.
    sandman99an9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Coming from New Zealand I hadn't had a lot of time with the AR. So my first was a Bushmaster M4 Type with the 14.5" bbl and permanently attached flash hider.

Needless to say it evolved with DD Omega rail, TD VFG, EOtech, Krylon etc. I sold it to fund another LMT SBR. No regrets, it ran 100% but the LMT SBR is a much better carbine.

FIRST AR15

LATEST AR15
    Last edited by Cameron; 3 December 2009 at 12:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first, a RRA CAR-A4 has evolved into this.

Shad
    ------
    I knew where I was when I wrote this..
    I don't know where I am now.

Les Baer PII .45
    STI Duty One 9mm
    RRA CAR A4
    Daniel Defense M4

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first ever AR-15 was built right after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, using parts online, and from John at Rainier Arms. At the time, I don't think Rainier Arms was a full time thing for John yet, as we met in a parking lot in Federal Way, hahaha. I purchased the GG&G BUIS, CMT BCG, and handguards for this particular rifle from him. I picked up the LMT 16" upper online, and the Oly Arms lower and RRA LPK from a local gun store. Pictured below with a ginger friend.

The red dot sight was a peice of airsoft junk, didn't even clamp onto the rail really. I was so bad at shooting i couldn't even zero my rifle... The range nazi at Tacoma Sportsman who claimed to be a retired marine wasn't much of a help either. I guess those years spent shooting airsoft in high school did not translate into real firearms... AT ALL.

Luckily, I met another retired marine at Issaquah Sportsman, who was a true gentleman and marksman. He showed off his AR-10, LMT MRP, the groups he could get with them, and also taught me the fundamentals of marksmanship.

My current go to rifle reflects my current taste of having a practical and light rifle. I would have preferred the LITE rail, but the upper came with a pinned muzzle device... and i couldn't see myself destroying the $100 suppressor mount, and spending $50 to get another $100 suppressor mount attached.

I managed to snag a M4-2000 for way under MSRP to go with the perm attached suppressor mount.

Anyway, this rifle was a huge step up from my very first rifle.... but it was the upgrade in the shooter that made the biggest difference, lol. Along the way I probably went through 3-5 different types of rifles. Denny's Operator + ACOG + DD Lite was a good combo, and I tried out a few more LMTs too.

Now, I'm a big proponent of the "spend your money on training, not gear" school of thought. I'm attending a magpul class this summer, woot!

Current Config

-Noveske N4 14.5"
    -Aimpoint T-1
    -DD Omega
    -Magpul CTR/MIAD/MBUS
    -TD VFG
    -Surefire G2 with VTAC mount
    -Vickers/VTAC sling depending on my mood
    Last edited by Fontaine; 26 May 2009 at 13:45.