Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Considering an RDS for my Glock 19. Questions inside

I’m about to summon Alamo’s long post skills here so bear with me

I’ve been debating getting a reflex sight for my Glock 19 (Gen 3). Primarily for range and suppressed shooting but would also be my daily carry.

I would need to have the slide milled or buy a new slide.

For the milling, online I’ve seen places like Battlewerks offering this service ($75 for the cut, $60 for either nitriding or cerakote, another $35 for a cover, etc). If there’s a better option thats reasonably priced for the service, I’m all for

OR

Brownells has a RMR slide for a Gen 3 G19 for $169.99 and $79.99 for the parts kit to build it out (~$250 total. But that pigeon holes me into an RMR which leads me to the next two questions:

With the adjustable LED RMR, which would be ideal, the 3.25 MOA or the 6.5 MOA dot?

I see there is a non adjustable RMR but I wonder if the self adjustment feature would leave me wanting. Also, the dual illum. RMR seems better suited on rifle mainly due to reticle choice but I may be wrong...I’d consider it with the 7 MOA dot if so.

Is there an alternative around the same $400 price point that’s worth considering?

Leupold Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA or 7 MOA
    Sig Romeo1 Reflex 3 MOA

The following are somewhat cheaper so I’m curious if they’re in the same league and even worth considering:
    Vortex Venom or Viper (3 MOA or 6 MOA), both around $200 on Amazon
    Burris FF3 3 MOA or 8 MOA (Currently $230 at Optics Planet, normally about $290 so I worry about durability etc)
    Others I’ve left out?

The SRO and the ACRO are both more than I was wanting to pay

Thanks a bunch and I hope to learn from yalls experience since this is one thing I haven’t really done yet gun related

Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll never match the King. LOL

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the actual topic though watch some of the videos from Tactical Toolbox. He goes through and shows the pros and cons of the various types of plates and mounting systems and all that. It's worth watching if for no other reason to see them side by side.

Downloads
    Uploads
    RMR 07 6.5 MOA Dot Hands down. Think about pistol engagement distances. 95% 10 yards and in. The bigger dot is also easier to pick up. We zero our department guns at 10 yards, and consistently get hits up to 140 yards with that zero on our pistol RMR's

I wouldn't get something milled out. Just get a Glock 19 MOS. If you insist on a mill out, I'd get a complete slide.

I'd also consider a Holosun 507C. Same screw pattern as the RMR's and take a look at Sage Dynamics' review. 10k rounds with it, broken glass, still holding zero.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    RMR 07 6.5 MOA Dot Hands down. Think about pistol engagement distances. 95% 10 yards and in. The bigger dot is also easier to pick up. We zero our department guns at 10 yards, and consistently get hits up to 140 yards with that zero on our pistol RMR's

I wouldn't get something milled out. Just get a Glock 19 MOS. If you insist on a mill out, I'd get a complete slide.

I'd also consider a Holosun 507C. Same screw pattern as the RMR's and take a look at Sage Dynamics' review. 10k rounds with it, broken glass, still holding zero.
    The 507C uses the same mounting footprint as an RMR, so the G19 RMR cut slides are a direct match, correct? That’s a solid option....

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Correct, I have 4 myself installed on RMR footprint slides.

Sage Dynamics video:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  5S3A8367.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  242.3 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stay away from the Romeo’s, they’re trash in comparison to the RMr or holosun
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like a good excuse to pick up a Gen5 MOS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Seems like a good excuse to pick up a Gen5 MOS.
    Yeah I’m leaning towards this option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At first I’d say just build out a p80 and grab a brownells slide..but you said you wanted to carry with it..whole other story

I just don’t like the goofy look the mos have with the mounting plate...but that’s getting picky...but again my p80 project with brownells rmr slide, Glock guts on sale, AA barrel on clearance and overwatch trigger, ameriglo sights is well under a new Glock..

Or.. grab a cheap Glock frame and a nicer slide, barrel, trigger and get Gucci with it...options..lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Something else to be aware of with a miniature RDS is how the emitter and glass can interface with each other and the ambient light. I've found with early to mid-morning sun, it's very easy to find the right angle where the sunlight comes back through the glass and reflects off the emitter. The result is you get multiple, smaller red dots that make it harder to find the actual, true red dot. Some RDS suffer much more than this than others. I've found the RMR to be very good at preventing this. Delta Points and Docters are terrible. I don't have any experience with the Holosun.

Is this a rare issue that won't affect most people? Quite possibly. I can say it's a huge issue at the range I shoot at, just because of how it's laid out and where the sun is. How much it's an issue for you for carrying...I don't know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My two cents: I just returned a Brownell's G17 slide with RMR cut. My reason for doing so is that it consistently cut the web of my hand just behind my thumb when firing. None of my stock Glock slides, Gen 2-4, (variously a 19, 17, 34, 21, 36, 43 & 48) have ever done this. The Brownell's slide appears to have sharper lower rear corners than Glock brand slides. The Brownell's slide also does not have the two front support posts that most of the milled slides incorporate. Just an FYI.

I ended up sending my G34 slide to Jagerwerks to have the slide milled for an RMR/SRO cut and black nitride refinishing. They're also bobbing the nose. It's been about 4 weeks now, so I should have it back in another 2 weeks or so. I'll post pics once it arrives. An optic-specific milled slide will generally seat the optic lower than an optic-ready slide from Glock or whomever with the various mounting plates, since the optic-specific slides doesn't have the layer of mounting plate between the slide and the optic body. Granted, it's not a LOT of height difference, but if you're trying for concealment and not open carrying on a duty belt it might be a concern. Plus the fewer parts, the better IMHO.

As far as optics, consider the Holosun 407C - same as the 507C, but you just have the single red dot, not a circle dot / dot only / circle only sighting options and costs $80-$100 less, plus RMR/SRO footprint if you decide to upgrade later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It has been my experience that nothing in the RMR type world works as well as the ACRO. The issue is always, and has always been, being able to find the dot on the draw, I wrote an article on this issue and it's still hasn't been overcome by anything other than the ACRO (from my personal experience).

I would HIGHLY recommend not carrying with an RMR type optic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    The issue is always, and has always been, being able to find the dot on the draw
    This right here.

What you make up with accuracy, you lose with speed. Picking up the dot will be an issue. I also found a lot of people initially look for that front sight instead of the dot when they first start shooting with an RMR.

I still carry a stock, unmodified (except sights) G43 or G19 off-duty.