Aero bcg
    Timney trigger
    Tubbs flat wire buffer spring
    Spikes T2 buffer
    Radian charging handle
    Trijicon MRO
    Magpul stock
    Streamlight protach

Shoots really well and has been 100 percent reliable. Just wondering what some of your experiences has tought you and what you would have done differently. I'm new to building, done 3 so far and this is the best one yet. Not going for pin point accuracy, I'm going for smooth recoil and fast fallow up shots. Please, share some knowledge!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice build. I have one that is similar. As far as things I would have done differently: personally, I'm an SLR fanboy and would have used a Sentry for the AGB, even though I think highly of Seekins; I prefer a stubby VFG as a reference point instead of the angled forward grips; never used a Timney trigger but I've heard good things. The only other thing I'd do different is take the phone in a "landscape" layout when taking the picture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice build. Welcome to the forum.

If it works for you, don't change anything!

Personally... if you decide to go with no suppressor, I wouldn't worry about an adjustable block. Stubby VFG is my personal preference over the AFG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am wondering why you went with the heavier buffer? On any 16" AR I've never seen the need for that. Also I am with the guys above. VFG is also my preference. I am also a huge fan of SLR. Their gas blocks are awesome.

That said I would also echo, if you are not suppressed why the adj gas block?

Also after a lot of trial and error on my part... see that QD socket hole that is facing up on your stock? Try plugging your back QD stud in there instead of of on the plate and try it out. Let us know what you think.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Nice build. I have one that is similar. As far as things I would have done differently: personally, I'm an SLR fanboy and would have used a Sentry for the AGB, even though I think highly of Seekins; I prefer a stubby VFG as a reference point instead of the angled forward grips; never used a Timney trigger but I've heard good things. The only other thing I'd do different is take the phone in a "landscape" layout when taking the picture.
    Thanks, and I've tried the vfg but it's unnatural feeling for me. I'm sure with some practice I could get comfortable with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice build, and welcome to the forum.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to have another builder here. That green looks great!

Much of what I would do different is just personal preference like an Arisaka finger stop and Geissele or Larue trigger.

If intended for defense and not only a fun gun I would upgrade the BCG. The Sionics NP3 and LMT Enhanced (spendy) are my favorites. Colt or BCM I would also trust. I would definitely ditch the Spikes buffer. As I have no experience with the flat wire spring I can't say what weight would work best. Get a standard and H buffer and use whichever feels better making sure it functions with the weakest ammo you will be using.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks everyone! As far as the buffer weight and AGB goes, I did some reading on it and people were saying it give it a real soft recoil... i know 5.56 is not a larg recoil round lol but I have a shot timer and practice speed drills and wanted to see if it actually helped or was bs. The combination of AGB, muzzle break, flat wire spring, and buffer did make it softer shooter than my stock rifle. What combination did the most, I dont know... I can try a normal weight buffer and see if that changes anything. With all the reading I've done, it seems over gassed rifles are common. That's another reason I tried an AGB, probably dont need it...boy isn't it fun being able to build and swap around parts as we see fit! Thanks again for the replies and tips!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    If intended for defense and not only a fun gun I would upgrade the BCG. The Sionics NP3 and LMT Enhanced (spendy) are my favorites. Colt or BCM I would also trust.
    While I love a BCM, Colt or LMT BCG as much as the next guy, I would ditch or distrust an Aero BCG just based on brand name alone. I think the Aero's have proven themselves.

I would definitely ditch the Spikes buffer.... Get a standard and H buffer and use whichever feels better making sure it functions with the weakest ammo you will be using.
    Why do you say this? The T2 is pretty much a H buffer except the Tungsten is powder so you don't get the rattle and it actually dampens recoil a bit over the solid weights. As far as I'm concerned the T2 is an upgrade over an H. Do you have some data to suggest I'm wrong here? I do agree that it's worth trying a 3oz buffer. The main reason i run AGBs on .223 builds is so I can run lightweight BCGs and pull down the reciprocating mass as low as possible. Not something I'd do on a duty gun, of course, but for a range toy or competition gun it can be fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Boiler. I don't remember where I saw the video, but slow motion showed significant bolt bounce with the powdered Spikes buffer compared with standard steel/tungsten weights. I have used both and can’t tell a difference, but I defer to the judgement of several SME’s that I respect.

I’m not an Aero hater. Currently building a .308 with an Aero M5 Freedom lower/upper. But as I consider the BCG the most important component for a defense gun I prefer to spend a little more (only $50-60 in 5.56) for peace of mind.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Boiler. I don't remember where I saw the video, but slow motion showed significant bolt bounce with the powdered Spikes buffer compared with standard steel/tungsten weights. I have used both and can’t tell a difference, but I defer to the judgement of several SME’s that I respect.

I’m not an Aero hater. Currently building a .308 with an Aero M5 Freedom lower/upper. But as I consider the BCG the most important component for a defense gun I prefer to spend a little more (only $50-60 in 5.56) for peace of mind.
    Thanks, I'll have to look into the bolt bounce issue with the Spikes. I'd never heard that before.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To my logic (which doesn't always match Sir Issac Newton's...) a ton of steel = a ton of feathers, volume notwithstanding. There must be some crazy physics at work if a bolt can discern powdered metal from solid of equal weight. Reciprocating mass is reciprocating mass. It must be something else. I seriously doubt that everything else is equal in this comparison. Under those conditions, I doubt the SME's Phil is referring to are gunfighters. They're probably lab rat egghead types. No offense to anybody that geeks out on numerical data! :D

Where are Scotty and Mr. Spock when we need them?!?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads

I think Aero has come a long way when it comes to QC. They're using 9310 bolts, where the top tier manufacturers are still using C158. 9310 is stronger than C158 when treated properly, which I'm sure Aero stays on top of... but I know many don't. I've seen plenty of broken 9310 bolts over the years vs C158. If you want that piece of mind, just go KAC E3, or LMT Enhanced. I think LMT is still using Aermet, which is 50% tougher than C158

That being said, I'd have no issues running a full Aero gun on duty or HD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends on how the mass is balanced or counter balanced. If the powder is not equally or properly balanced against force and resistance like with a solid tungsten insert or steel insert then the end result will have counter consequences. If the powder has extra movement at the end of the resistance cycle that should have been achieved, then there is still more energy exerted when the energy cycle should have been exhausted and the counter balance or spring should have been in play. Thats how I understand it...
    https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-bal...ng-masses-done
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It depends on how the mass is balanced or counter balanced. If the powder is not equally or properly balanced against force and resistance like with a solid tungsten insert or steel insert then the end result will have counter consequences. If the powder has extra movement at the end of the resistance cycle that should have been achieved, then there is still more energy exerted when the energy cycle should have been exhausted and the counter balance or spring should have been in play. Thats how I understand it...
    https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-bal...ng-masses-done
    Correct, or to put it in more layman's terms, the bolt slams home due to the spring/buffer, but like a basketball, the bolt wants to bounce back slightly against the static force of the spring/buffer. The "free-weight" in the buffer nullifies the bounce because it hasn't yet reached the end of its stroke, so as the bolt is just about to bounce back, the weight is hitting buffer face, which imparts energy to the carrier, which prevents the bolt from actually bouncing (or is supposed to).

Broadly speaking, I wouldn't put a ton of stock in blaming just the Spikes buffer setup. I think there's some other variables that need to be considered like gassing, spring force, etc. The HK 416 is often criticized about it's bolt bounce because HK used a solid weight rather than a conventional dead hammer blow type system in the original design. That said, practically speaking, plenty of 416s work just fine, even on select fire.

While the science may back up the T2 buffer to being "worse," I don't think it's that cut and dry. And FWIW, I have one in a very well-gassed rifle and it is an incredibly smooth shooter without any kind of cycle issues. But again, the whole system is what is (or isn't) working, and not just the one component.