Downloads
    Uploads

What do you do...

...with your extraneous old accessories?

For example, I have a bunch of older stuff like a couple of old MOE handguards and some other random things that aren't worth the cost of shipping even if someone did want to buy them. I can't quite bring myself to throw them away and clog up a landfill, but not sure what else to do with them and they're taking up room in my office.

Is there some sort of Goodwill for gun parts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have this problem as I keep my excess stuff in check. Spare parts tend to sprout roots and grow into guns for me.

That said I think a noob builder thread would be great. We could pitch in and do a Frankenstein build or give them to people who are interested in building an AR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I don't have this problem as I keep my excess stuff in check. Spare parts tend to sprout roots and grow into guns for me.
    gator is referring to parts so beneath him, he could never sprout new guns with those parts.

Same here, MOE handguards, stocks, ect.... I got a big bin of stuff. Normally what I do is I'll have my LE guys come over and pick out stuff they need. I too have cannot bring myself to throw stuff out, just because I know I'll never use them doesn't mean it'll be some great accessories for someone else who will literally buy 1 AR their entire life, but not want to dump money into it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the MOE handguards must mate and create more baby MOEs. I had one that was my first handguard that I eventually replaced with something free-floated. Then I "won" a Rifle length one at a Magpul course, then another one came on an upper I bought that was immediately taken off. And god knows how many Colt M4 handguards and KAC 11-rib panels I have. I did try and keep the Colt handguards in check, but they still jump out of the corner of a closet every so often and make their self known.

Oh, and the MIAD back straps! They're everywhere.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post

Oh, and the MIAD back straps! They're everywhere.
    Literally the reason I stopped buying MIAD's.... was getting tired of just having a bin full of extra straps. Kinda like Glock straps, mag springs/end plates when I swapped them out.

Come to think of it, just having bins of bags with various guns labeled on them with parts to return them to stock configuration. I guess that's just my OCD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve thought of creating an eternal box of AR parts for a local forum. I’d put in $200+ worth of parts making sure some was obvious desirable. Sell for $50. Buyer takes out what he wants and adds enough to keep the value up and relists. Hecklers could shame guys who added only junk. What do you think?
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    I’ve thought of creating an eternal box of AR parts for a local forum. I’d put in $200+ worth of parts making sure some was obvious desirable. Sell for $50. Buyer takes out what he wants and adds enough to keep the value up and relists. Hecklers could shame guys who added only junk. What do you think?
    Done something like that only for the most part it was free. You just paid shipping to the next guy. I got it once and it had like 2-300 clips for 5.56 ammo. Score

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I sell items I throw things like this into a "package deal". People love free shit

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mostly just give them away. Sometimes I find new parts that I ordered for some reason or another. Usually, someone can use spare parts.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    We had a box like this locally years ago. We started a box with a lot of good shit donated by guys like me with lots of extras. We'd pass it to a guy via drawing. You'd add an item, and took one item out. What ended up happening after the box was exchanged a dozen times... a shit ton of non-firearms related stuff, like broken computer speakers, keyboards, random tools, useless gun parts (like used Front Sight Posts, rail covers, ect)

It basically stopped when someone allegedly had a burglary at their house and the box was stolen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    ...with your extraneous old accessories?

For example, I have a bunch of older stuff like a couple of old MOE handguards and some other random things that aren't worth the cost of shipping even if someone did want to buy them. I can't quite bring myself to throw them away and clog up a landfill, but not sure what else to do with them and they're taking up room in my office.

Is there some sort of Goodwill for gun parts?
    I thought you were just supposed to wait until you have enough parts to build another rifle and then....build another rifle?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    We had a box like this locally years ago. We started a box with a lot of good shit donated by guys like me with lots of extras. We'd pass it to a guy via drawing. You'd add an item, and took one item out. What ended up happening after the box was exchanged a dozen times... a shit ton of non-firearms related stuff, like broken computer speakers, keyboards, random tools, useless gun parts (like used Front Sight Posts, rail covers, ect)

It basically stopped when someone allegedly had a burglary at their house and the box was stolen.
    Yeah, that is kinda my fear. It devolves into junk and I get the blame for starting it. Maybe I should just do a pay it forward here where to get the choice items you have to take the other also. If you toss stuff it’s not on me. Just throwing away some A2 grips and flat trigger guards about made me hit the confessional. And I’m not Catholic.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Literally the reason I stopped buying MIAD's.... was getting tired of just having a bin full of extra straps. Kinda like Glock straps, mag springs/end plates when I swapped them out.
    I just stuck with something that worked. Not sure what other options out there that give you that longer grip length. I don't smell like cabbage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the MIAD problem (on a much smaller scale), but then BCM brought their Mod 3 to market. The Tang Down steep angled battle grip is good too.

I throw novel stuff in when I sell and ship stuff too. Its kinda neat to hear the buyer's reaction, makes a new friend, perhaps and is just general good will. When I sold and shipped guitars a lot, I would pack them in Tee shirts. That helped me keep my excess Tee shirt problem in check and again, it gave buyers something they could choose to wear, or use to polish with instead of clogging the landfills.

What about taking the PIF thread a little farther and starting a page people can post parts needed as well as parts to get rid of for the asking? Shipping is on the poster, but could be taken care of by the receiver as a courtesy for the parts, but is not necessary.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post

What about taking the PIF thread a little farther and starting a page people can post parts needed as well as parts to get rid of for the asking? Shipping is on the poster, but could be taken care of by the receiver as a courtesy for the parts, but is not necessary.
    Interesting idea. I'm going to start cleaning out some stuff and put it up for grabs.