Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magpul B.A.D.

Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul B.A.D.

I got my Magpul BAD a couple of weeks ago and I've taken it out shooting to test it out. So far, which I hope is just a training issue for me, is that I sometimes hit the BAD with my trigger finger instead of the trigger. One I have my finger on the trigger, it is no problem, it is just when going from the finger indexed position to placingmy finger on the trigger that I have to get used to. I have skinny fingers so that isn't the issue.

Anyone else have that problem? Any pointers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what I use and have not had any issues. I index below the mag release just forward of the trigger. The lever arm is located high in the trigger area and formed to fit close to the receiver.

http://www.redi-mag.com/Shop/pc/view...1&idcategory=5

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a Redi-Catch also, two actually, but they aren't really apples:apples as the RC only allows you to lock the bolt to the rear, not release it. And it does it in the opposite direction (push down to lock it, while the BAD releases when pushing down) If Boonie Packer could find a way to make their lever do both I would prefer it.

Paulo, on your issue I'm not sure I'm understanding what's happening to you.

I have an article coming out in the next couple of months that covers the proper use of the BAD levers because there seems to be so many misconceptions on how to use it.

To perform an emergency reload...

1) trigger finger (TF) begins on trigger when firing until empty
    2) TF moves to mag release button & presses in & releases empty magazine
    3) TF hangs out there while the support hand inserts the fresh mag
    4) once fresh magazine is seated (push/pull), TF moves downward from button to trigger, sweeping the BAD along the way
    5) TF returns to trigger and resumes firing

What is your normal "index position" when you aren't firing?
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I go from finger indexed like in the picture below, to putting the finger on he trigger, the BAD sometimes gets in the way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Possibly start indexing on the trigger guard to prevent it from happening?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a video to show what I am talking about. I figured it would be easier to show it, then explain it. A video is worth a thousand pictures.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could see how that would cause a potential issue. My finger is always either lower or higher. I'm supposed to take some photos this weekend for my article. I'll try to post some version of them here.

ETA:
    Is that a MOE or a MIAD? If a MIAD, is it the largest size backstrap? One downside to all these fat grips that a lot of people don't realize is that they may seem to make your trigger finger land nicely on the tip, they put you further away from the controls.

It it's a MIAD with the large backstrap I'd knock it down to the medium, or MOE-size.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is the Miad with the fatter grip. I tried the smaller grip and it was worse. It moved my finger forward even more, which made it worse. I ended up removing it altogether. Another thing that I noticed is that I would sometimes also hit the BAD instead of the magazine release. I think this thing was a BAD idea for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been following this since you posted it.......maybe you just have long fingers......lol.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing a cut-off wheel couldn't fix, just take a little off the end.
    American defense... preferred by 9 out of 10 small countries!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was on business in Aurora, CO two weeks ago and met a guy missing all 4 fingertips at the joint on his right hand--he seemed to function fine, although I did not seem him handle a firearm.
    - Federalist22

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss356 View Post
    Nothing a cut-off wheel couldn't fix, just take a little off the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by federalist22 View Post
    I was on business in Aurora, CO two weeks ago and met a guy missing all 4 fingertips at the joint on his right hand--he seemed to function fine, although I did not seem him handle a firearm.
    LMAO. I think it would be less painful to cut off the BAD, but I'm not going to mess with it or my finger.
    I've been shooting fine without the BAD, so I'll just keep it off. Not knocking it, just doesn't work for me. Just like the Redi-mag/Redi-mod doesn't work for me since I like to use the magwell hold a lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright, I just ran a bunch of dryfire and figured out why you have a problem and I don't.

I am 99% of the time using the magazine release button as my ready spot. It's a good index point for the trigger finger tip as it is rough in texture so I can be consistent with placement by feel. If the bolt is locked back and the BAD protrudes then I need to hit it on the way to the trigger anyway. If the bolt is forward and the BAD is recessed, I never even notice that it is there.

But, it's not for everyone, and if it doesn't work for you or you find that it modifies your TTPs too much, then I'd skip it.

But I still think that large MIAD is too big for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rob, I'll give that a try and see how it works out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I figured it out. I re-installed it and I moved it slightly forward so that the lever is touching the magwell. Now my finger doesn't really hit the BAD anymore. I can actually index my finger by placing it on top of the BAD and still have enough room to get to the trigger.

All is finally happy in Santos Land.