Downloads
    Uploads

Help me visualize going to a 20 MOA base.

So, I’m looking to get a new QD mount for my .223 medium range build. I’ve got a Vortex PST 4-16x50 MRAD that I’m pretty happy with. According to the turrets, I’m pretty centered (Call it 10 MRAD from the bottom). Literature shows that this scope has 21 MRADs of elevation adjustment. So if I invest in a 20 MOA QD mount (looking at a Bobro), that will make my POI go up about 6 MRAD. I will dial down 6, and in doing so, I will still have 4 MRAD to play with at closer range, and giving me 17 to adjust at long range.

So the reason behind this, if I choose to build an AR-10 rig for longer range, I can still swap the scope over, and really utilize fully on both rifles, all with one scope.

Am I analyzing this correctly?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What kind of distances are we talking about here for all of the rifles in question?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you took the same scope and dropped it on a 20 MOA base on the same rifle and ammo combination and didn't touch the dials it would hit about 20 MOA high at 100 yards.

For a 223 I can dial my vortex scope up to 800 yards and still have room left over. A 20 MOA base would not be useful at all for the stuff I like to do. At least not on that rifle.

A 308 will need a lot of dialing up past 800 yards. I've shot a 308 where I had to max out the scope and then use the reticle to get on target. In that scenario a 20 MOA mount would be great.

Basically for 308 anything past 800 yards will see a lot of good things from 20 MOA base.

Another thing is the zero stops on the scope will be a pain when you swap rifles. Also so will the turrets. You will need to remove the caps and probably adjust the zero stops every time you swap guns.

To me that is not worth it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    What kind of distances are we talking about here for all of the rifles in question?
    On the current AR I can see going 300-600. With a 0 MOA base, I'm good to 1000 yards with 77 grainers at 2550 FPS, dialing 10MRAD and holding 5 on the reticle.
    With the AR-10 I plan on putting together, 600-1000 yards, perhaps longer. Looks like with 0 MOA base, I'm good to almost 1200 with 140 grain at 6.5CM @ 2550 FPS, dialing 10MRAD and holding 5 on the reticle.

Presently, I only have 10.4 MRAD available up adjustment before topping out.

Going with a 20 MOA would not only get me more adjustment, It would be more in the center field of view, which should be crisper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Another thing is the zero stops on the scope will be a pain when you swap rifles. Also so will the turrets. You will need to remove the caps and probably adjust the zero stops every time you swap guns.

To me that is not worth it.
    I understand the re-zeroing, But with a repeatable RTZ, I could get a ball park re-zeroing data from one to the other, and it should only take a few minutes to reset the turrets, and zero stop if I choose to use it. Upgrade to one nice scope instead of 2 decent scopes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems like outside of 600 max, a 5.56/2.23 is pretty worthless for anything but flogging paper (Not that there's anything wrong with that). I don't know if there's a way you could hear steel at that distance, for lack of energy to make a sound. It'd be cool to do once, and then boring. Larger caliber, different story.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Seems like outside of 600 max, a 5.56/2.23 is pretty worthless for anything but flogging paper (Not that there's anything wrong with that). I don't know if there's a way you could hear steel at that distance, for lack of energy to make a sound. It'd be cool to do once, and then boring. Larger caliber, different story.
    On the 223 rifle, It seems to me that I will still be in good shape as I would have to dial down 6M and still be on the money with enough adjustment.
    And with the 6.5CM rifle, enough elevation on the turrets to easily get to 1000y if I find a nice spot.