Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body Armor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Damn, BU, those specs and weight look outrageously tempting! However, at $699 a plate, I'll just have to hump the extra weight, if I ever actually need it, for now.
    I've read that the FBI uses those U210s. Half inch thick and 3.7lbs is nice for incog, but, yeah, you pay for it (if your employer won't).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are my thoughts and experiences.... Like everything in life it's worth what you paid for it.

I took a 2 day shoot house class at Alliance Police Training. I needed to have body armor for the class. I had already spent $450 for the class, plus the cost of the trip there, the ammo and the cost of hotel stays. I picked up a set of Semper Fi (same company that did plates for ERA3) armor plates (AR500). They had a sale buy one get one half off or something like that. I think I paid $150 for the pair. I believe mine were touted as 8.5lbs each?

I also picked up a simple condor carrier ($60?).

That has been the one and only time I've worn the plates/carrier other than for a couple photos here and there.

I was ready to take the plates off as soon as I got out of the shoot house. It wasn't comfortable. And it was the middle of summer and HOT.

For the purpose, I was happy with them. If I took classes more often where I needed armor I'd probably like something lighter. If I had to wear armor for work, there is no way I'd buy these.

So there you go. Plan on wearing them once for a class or infrequently? Probably they'd be fine.
    Planning on wearing them for SHTF? Again, maybe fine? Better than nothing?
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Truly, my rig was conceived for a SHTF scenario. I would want lighter gear if I was in a pistol fight. I do have another "no name" brand chest rig that seems very sturdy. Could put lighter plates in it. Not sure that I would ever voluntarily walk into a situation where I'd likely need one, as in a cop..etc. and it would probably just hang around in the closet.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is so much to unpack on armor...

First and foremost if you want AR-steel type armor buy from CATIARMOR -> https://catiarmor.com/copy-of-cati-a...b-multi-curve/ <- their multicurve AR600 CQB plates are probably the best AR-steel type on the market (they have contracts with CBP from what I understand).

Second, the less the plate weighs the more the plate costs multiplied by the type of ammo the plate can stop multiple hits of.

My recommendation:

First figure out what type of threat / ammo you want the plate to able to stop.

Then figure out how much you want it to weigh.

Then figure out how much you want to spend on it.

If you try to get a steal for a standalone special threat plate, you are probably buying old/expired garbage.

If you buy ceramic, but new and certified, as ceramic plates can (and will) crack.

If you buy poly-ceramic plates you will be spending top money on them.

I have used about a dozen plate types over the years, some daily, some for training.

Right now I am running chase tactical DEA complaint special threat cqb plates ->https://www.chasetactical.com/produc...t-multi-curve/ <- These are good to go.

One thing I would also recommend is buying some lvl 2 / 3 soft plate backers. Getting shot in the plate sucks, it sucks even more if the energy transfers into your rib cage or spine more. Plate backer are like $99 or cheaper, they don't have to top quality they just need to be the same size as the plates. I usually tape them to the plate.

As far as PC's go...that's a whole different conversation.