Downloads
    Uploads

GWOT-Clone blaster. To paint or not to paint?

LMT GWOT Clone. KAC drop in RAS, SF M951, Picatinny 600m rear, Comp M2 etc

No more upgrades save for maybe an ALG ACT.

It needs paint. Solid tan? Tan and some brown? Post example pics. Don’t care about resale as it’s for a friend who is fine with a paint job

Name:  D0B5B05D-A8D7-49C8-9ECF-F8B30825439D.jpeg
Views: 3014
Size:  820.2 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    I figured you'd be the expert when it comes to actual clone paint schemes!

Personally when it comes to clones, I like them black, but beat up looking, some raw aluminum showing through the anodozing.

This one needs MOAR SOPMOD and PEQ2!

Downloads
    Uploads
    lol peq2 would be cool. But the LMT SOPMOD was a little out of budget at the moment as I had to buy some new gear.

Planning on shooting my Rainier UM Mod 2 and 224 Valkyrie in an 8 match precision rifle comp series in 2020 and have been preparing for that. Not being a sponsored shooter (yet) is expensive but I gotta pay my dues and move up on leaderboards for that

Definitely not clear coating this so it’ll wear down nicely

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some steel wool and scotchbrites along with some oil is a way to do it. Then "seal" it with a clear coat for corrosion protection if that's your thing. I've never done it, but I'm worn-curious.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve never tried to accelerate the wear on a paint job. Naturally earned wear can’t be replicated quite the same

I’ve already done a mesh laundry bag camo; might find something with a wider mesh like a fishing net or something for a little contrast

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post

I’ve already done a mesh laundry bag camo; might find something with a wider mesh like a fishing net or something for a little contrast
    I use a large-holed laundry bag for mine and I like it better than the fishing net sized pattern. I agree it helps with the contrast and makes it hard to tell where shadows start and end in the light. Obviously it's all subjective, but I just prefer the pattern more. Of course none of this is needed, but it's fun to do, and the tan paint does actually keep the rifle cooler in the sun at competitions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I use a large-holed laundry bag for mine and I like it better than the fishing net sized pattern. I agree it helps with the contrast and makes it hard to tell where shadows start and end in the light. Obviously it's all subjective, but I just prefer the pattern more. Of course none of this is needed, but it's fun to do, and the tan paint does actually keep the rifle cooler in the sun at competitions.
    And they’re actually harder to see under NVGs...at least green tube Gen 1-3. Haven’t used white phosphor or the Quad tubes. Black rifles contrast like crazy against uniforms, foliage, etc

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I've heard that before, but not sure I understand the why. Seems to be more than just the latent heat. It must reflect at just the right wavelength for the NVGs. The brown boots that we were issued would always glow slightly on goggles, too. It seemed that the worse the shape they were in (scuffed/worn), the more they glowed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Onion bags are a favorite of mine to use

Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’ve never tried to accelerate the wear on a paint job. Naturally earned wear can’t be replicated quite the same

FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another part to this.

What color/brand paint you using?

Skit of colors are okay. But most too shiny.. never tried the aervoe paint, but a few colors look good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rustolem "Camoflage" line of spray paint from Walmart. With light dustings for each layer, it dries super-flat and has a very light textured quality initially until you start handling it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Rustolem "Camoflage" line of spray paint from Walmart. With light dustings for each layer, it dries super-flat and has a very light textured quality initially until you start handling it.
    Same same

Except for using a lighter brown. The Rustoleum Camo “earth brown” is VERY dark. To get the M81 brown, I used Flat Brown #214085

When I sprayed my “black multicam”, I used Rustoleum camo black and deep forest green and their non camo Deep Slate #312818. It was flat finish but not matte so I sprayed a bit of clear matte on it to drop the sheen. Worked great