Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VCROWN vs HST

Downloads
    Uploads
    And more..there’s all kinds on sale

200 Round Case - 9mm Luger 147 Grain GDHP Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection Ammo - 23619GD

http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer-...l-protection-a

Downloads
    Uploads
    250 rounds of 9mm 124gr HST police Trade-in for $95: https://www.recoilgunworks.com/trade...d-p-52155.html

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    250 rounds of 9mm 124gr HST police Trade-in for $95: https://www.recoilgunworks.com/trade...d-p-52155.html
    Good find! Thanks.

I already bought 150 rounds... which is way more than I will ever need but it's plenty for my testing and carrying. I paid $71 bucks including shipping.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Good find! Thanks.

I already bought 150 rounds... which is way more than I will ever need but it's plenty for my testing and carrying. I paid $71 bucks including shipping.
    From where?

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just clicked through again and I guess I caught em at the right time Should have bought 4 boxes instead of 3. I'm guessing it was a Black Friday sale or something.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a smoking deal but it requires me to send in LEO creds.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/prod...hst-jhp-p9hst1
    alamo, if you buy the $30 membership when you place your order and that "cancel/OK" thing pops up, you hit ok and your items go in the cart.
    The money you save on pricing can/will pay for the membership.

I got 100rds of HST 124+P for $40 plus shipping.

Ric

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the ammo isn't on DocGKR's list, you'll not convince me to use it as carry ammo. HST is. VCROWN ain't.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fairlanericky View Post
    alamo, if you buy the $30 membership when you place your order and that "cancel/OK" thing pops up, you hit ok and your items go in the cart.
    The money you save on pricing can/will pay for the membership.

I got 100rds of HST 124+P for $40 plus shipping.

Ric
    I bought 150 rounds. Not sure if I am a member or not :) As long as I can get good deals on ammo I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    If the ammo isn't on DocGKR's list, you'll not convince me to use it as carry ammo. HST is. VCROWN ain't.
    It was really a whim purchase. Money burning a hole in my pocket. I will do my tests and if HST runs reliably then that's my go to.

It's been proven. That and hydro shock would both be ok. From what I've read HST works great even in shorter ish barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been proven. That and hydro shock would both be ok. From what I've read HST works great even in shorter ish barrels.
    Hydra-Shok ain't on the list either.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR
    Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. These older bullets tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing; they also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's interesting for sure. Terminal ballistics is definitely interesting to study. I used to love back in the day watching all the gel tests and so forth on YouTube.

Now especially with the trend of really small guns I think it's important to pay attention to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm partial to 147-150 gr HST's in my carry guns. HD guns get +P Critical Duty. The little extra helps with barriers over Critical Defense, according to Hornady. I'm a big fan of XTP's for training and summer carry. Ya gotta put the money into practicing with what you carry, IMO.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    I'm partial to 147-150 gr HST's in my carry guns. HD guns get +P Critical Duty. The little extra helps with barriers over Critical Defense, according to Hornady. I'm a big fan of XTP's for training and summer carry. Ya gotta put the money into practicing with what you carry, IMO.
    Why do you prefer heavies? Any particular reason?

Where I live we do not have bad winters. You could live your life with a light jacket most of the time. Only every once in a while (or if you are working outside) will you need a heavy coat. All together it might be a month added up throughout the year.

As for overall carry, I've always gone with 124 grain. That said above and beyond any ammo...to me it's all about practice. I got a new carry gun and so far I've put several hundred rounds through it. I am checking the function of the gun but also seeing how I shoot it. I definitely have had to make a few adjustments. Today I was out shooting a 4 inch square at 10 yards...Eventually I want to get to where I can hit that from a draw without thinking about it too much, at least that's the goal. I definitely think I need to shoot a lot more.

I can just go shoot and get proficient with the weapon but I still would like to take a class. Just because I can shoot doesn't mean I am good at fighting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Less muzzle flip out of short barreled pistols. I usually carry something with a 3" to 3.5" barrel for concealment purposes. With a lightweight, short barreled pistol, it will flip with 115's, the little bit more weight helps stay on target. And yes, you can shoot the ass out of a goose at 1,000 yds, but if you don't have the nerve to pull the trigger when that time comes, you'll be just as dead, but heavier by the weight of an un-used defensive firearm. Ayoob does a great mindset lecture.

Why do you prefer heavies? Any particular reason?

Where I live we do not have bad winters. You could live your life with a light jacket most of the time. Only every once in a while (or if you are working outside) will you need a heavy coat. All together it might be a month added up throughout the year.

As for overall carry, I've always gone with 124 grain. That said above and beyond any ammo...to me it's all about practice. I got a new carry gun and so far I've put several hundred rounds through it. I am checking the function of the gun but also seeing how I shoot it. I definitely have had to make a few adjustments. Today I was out shooting a 4 inch square at 10 yards...Eventually I want to get to where I can hit that from a draw without thinking about it too much, at least that's the goal. I definitely think I need to shoot a lot more.

I can just go shoot and get proficient with the weapon but I still would like to take a class. Just because I can shoot doesn't mean I am good at fighting.
    Last edited by Joelski; 5 December 2019 at 13:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's some great info from Mr. Butler himself.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B5wLknS...=1bshi1pzf3kxy