Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up What Would Stoner Do?

I ran across this series of videos on YouTube called "What Would Stoner Do?" where a couple of (IMO) insightful guys with a lot of experience performed a thought experiment, and then brought it all the way to fruition.

I agree with many of their conclusions. What are your thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I can’t stand to watch or listen to them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Funny story...I randomly ran across one of the WWSD segments (the one about the Cav Arms / GWACS receiver with Karl & Ian sitting on the couch) a couple of years ago, before I'd "discovered" Forgotten Weapons & InRangeTV. I thought it was cool that a couple of gay dudes were doing weapon reviews. (Don't anyone get all PC on me, I'm not saying gay people can't review weapons. I just thought it was an interesting dynamic between the two of them).

Now that I'm up to speed & aware of Karl & Ian, I don't get that vibe from them any more. I found the series to be informative, and appreciate that they actually try stuff out IRL, doing honest head-to-head comparisons of different pieces of kit for the rifles. I've had a Cav Arms CAV-15 receiver for about 15 years now, that I originally bought to make into a .45 using an Olympic arms upper & grease gun mags. Still have the Hahn buffer & mag well adaptor but never bought the .45 upper.

After rewatching the 2017 WWSD, and then seeing the WWSD 2020 promo where they announced the project will be revisited and KE Arms will be making Gen3 receivers, I went ahead & built up my own WWSD rifle to see how it performed. I deviated slightly in that I used a MI free float handguard and an Armaspec captured buffer spring, as well as a Radian Raptor LT charging handle, Radian Talon safety and a LaRue MBT2S trigger, due to cost & having everything on hand already. Minus optics, the complete rifle is only 5 pounds, 2 ounces. Definitely looking forward to seeing what, if any, different conclusions or upgrades they arrive at this time, and also getting one of the updated Gen 3 receivers.
    Last edited by PJD642; 18 December 2019 at 10:30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    KE Arms has taken up manufacturing for the updated WWSD 2020 rifle, and Brownells is doing pre-orders to gauge interest (I suppose).

I pre-ordered 2 of them

Check it out here

Downloads
    Uploads
    $1700........

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    $1700........
    Time is money friend. If I built one myself it would take a lot of time, research, etc. To me that's worth it.

I can always make more money. I can't make more time. Simple as.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I watched some of them awhile back. They went with a drop in trigger which I have and did and like. The AR needs a light and Stoner would probably agree with everyone on this. Other than that I think he thought he built the perfect rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's an interesting video about the history of monolithic polymer AR lowers. My WWSD2020 rifles should be shipping soon! Stoked!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got an email & subsequently spoke with Brownell's today...my KP-15 stripped lower in black is being moved from "pre-order / hold" to "released / shipping". So, fingers crossed, I should have it by the middle of January.

I've modified the upper specs somewhat since I'm not really enthused about a carbon fiber free float rail...Aero flat top upper w/out FA, Aero Atlas S-one 12" free float rail, Faxon 14.5" mid-length pencil barrel w/ integral flash hider, FCD NP3'd BCG, Radian Raptor CH, Arisaka 600-series light body w/ Surefire clicky tailcap & Modlight PLHv2 head, and an Aimpoint T2 on a Scalarworks mount. Lower parts are gonna be KE Arms SLT-2 trigger, FCD bolt catch, Radian Talon ambi safety, and an Arms Unlimited ambi mag release with a FCD button.

Currently, the rifle weighs 6 lb, 12 oz with a Sabre Defence aluminum lower equipped with an A5 RET and A5H2 buffer, Magpul fixed carbine stock, and Magpul K2 grip, unloaded. I'm eager to see how much weight I can shave off using the polymer lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think if he had access to all the modern materials and manufacturing capabilities we have today and he started designing today, the rifle would probably look nothing like an AR-15.

The AR was revolutionary for its time, but much has changed in 50+ years. If he had a clean slate...who knows. Titanium, carbon fiber? A completely different rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    I think if he had access to all the modern materials and manufacturing capabilities we have today and he started designing today, the rifle would probably look nothing like an AR-15.

The AR was revolutionary for its time, but much has changed in 50+ years. If he had a clean slate...who knows. Titanium, carbon fiber? A completely different rifle.
    I think you're right, however we still have modern firearms that look and operate much the same. There are plenty of manufacturers building brand new stuff, where is the "Plasma gun in the 40-Watt range"?