Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Streamlight Microstream USB vs AAA LED

To start off, I LOVE my USB Microstream AAA. I’ve had one for about 4 years. I lost the first one I had (came unclipped during a hayride one Halloween and fell out of my pocket). I’ve had the replacement ever since. It’s small/compact, lightweight and has a great battery life with a common inexpensive replacement.

I thought I’d lost my current one about three weeks ago and my wife got me the USB model in brown (there’s a slight difference between the black version, will describe down below) as a last minute stocking stuffer but I found my AAA version a couple days before Christmas woo Hoo.

Size comparison with 55gr 223 Rem:

AAA Specs:
    C4 White LED bulb
    45 Lumens/2.25hr runtime
    3.6”
    1.1oz

Light test outside:

USB Specs:
    50 Lumen/3.5hr run time
    250 Lumen/1.5hr run time
    3.87”/1.2oz
    4hrs to recharge, battery lasts 300 full recharges (red indicator by charge slot turns green when charge is complete) and then only has 60% charge capacity. New battery is $8.50 on Amazon.

Light test:
    Low:

High:

USB Low setting compared to AAA LED:

The Coyote brown version I have goes High beam to Low beam, which requires a double click I haven’t mastered the rhythm of yet. I do a Michael J Fox Morse code until I get it right. The Black version goes Low to High, which I think would be more my preference AND have less run time on the battery. I didn’t know there was a difference until I started using it and my wife sure as hell didn’t when she bought it.

The Microstream AAA is still an awesome light but the USB version blows it away even with a small Lumen difference (on Low), the color warmth makes a massive difference to the eye when using it. I’ll probably get a Black version since I use the low setting more and use the Coyote version as a backup in my GHB or something

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw these and was curious. Your timing is impeccable.

I've had the surefire titan for a while now and it's the neatest thing since sliced bread. I have it with me 24 hours a day.

I was looking for last minute stocking stuffers when I saw the USB version and that made me curious.

Thanks for the write up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did they make the switch any better? I have a few AAA lights and I never liked the tailcap switch on the MicroStream. It's a LOT harder to press than any other light ... I just find it kind of annoying. Been carrying a Fenix twistie AAA on my keychain for like 5 years now ... never leave the house without it.

Aside: Stay away from the Olight i3s - I had two of them come apart on my keychain - they don't have enough thread engagement and eventually the head falls off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice write up..thanks for the info..been intrigued by the usb models

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hadn’t really compared the clicky-ness difference between the two. I know constant on requires more pressure than a momentary hold does but never thought it was tough but I haven’t really used another brand of “pen light”. The button on the AAA version is shorter and more rounded off, while the button on the USB is slightly taller and flatter with more squared off edges. This might provide more purchase or a better feel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I hadn’t really compared the clicky-ness difference between the two. I know constant on requires more pressure than a momentary hold does but never thought it was tough but I haven’t really used another brand of “pen light”. The button on the AAA version is shorter and more rounded off, while the button on the USB is slightly taller and flatter with more squared off edges. This might provide more purchase or a better feel.
    Cool. Might try one again someday, if my Fenix ever dies or disappears ... I think I've finally reached flashlight saturation, after a decade of trying the different varieties. Remember when the best in class was a Maglite AA with a standard, yellow, dim bulb even on a brand-new battery? Man, things have changed SO much in just a decade ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was looking at one of these too. I "upgraded" from my Protac 2AA to a rechargeable 18650 light (powertac). it's really nice actually. I do like it. But man it's big for front pocket carry.

Great comparison by the way. These are the types of posts that I love about WEVO.
    Last edited by Pyzik; 6 January 2020 at 06:31.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got a few AAA microstreams for duty work, like SFST's etc. They work well. Never tried the USB version but it probably works just as well.