Downloads
    Uploads

Magpul bipod modification (45 degree throw)

I was shooting on Saturday, prepping for an upcoming match, confirming my dopes and chrono’ing my loads etc. One type of shot I was taking off a 55gal barrel on its side was too tall for legs extended and too short for legs closed on the Magpul bipod. It made me really wish I had the 45 degree setting like an Atlas.

I’ve never looked at the Magpul bipod as an Atlas competitor, just a Harris replacement. It took away the two things I always hated about the Harris (spring reverb and the legs dragging on the frame during deployment).

I like the Magpul bipod except I wish the lowest/shortest setting was a little lower than what it is, and a 45 degree leg position would solve that but they aren’t capable of that.....until now! I took the legs out of the frame (one solitary Allen key machine screw and a nut), and you can get all the goodies out (don’t lose the spring...it’s keeping tension on the unlock button).

You need a drill bit or a dremel grinding wheel that fits the notches in the legs already. Mark the correct side on each leg, and get after it!

Don’t go too deep; you can always reassemble and test fit it and remove more material. You can’t undo a huge mistake.

I used some polishing cloth where necessary. I lubricated everything really good and cleaned off any metal shavings and reassembled. The clamp slipped when I had mine on the drill press and I took a teeeeeeeny bit too much off the right side, so I have to cant it about a millimeter or so due to a little extra “sag”, but it was my first time and I was figuring it out as I went. I’m happy with it. Might do one of my others soon

Before:

After:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brilliant! I’d love to try this if you could clarify a bit where and how much to dremel. I don’t have a drill press. Are the legs still locking in place at 90 degrees?
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did most of it with a dremel but only used the drill press to get the project going. I had a grinding wheel that fit the notch perfectly. I gauged the depth based on the pre-existing notch that was already there for the 90* function and they still lock out fine standing upright like normal

I marked off with a silver sharpie where I wanted to dremel out, leaving a shelf in between the factory cut notch and the one I was making so you have a tactile *click* when the button locks into place with your new notch and it requires unlocking to go out to 90*.

You want something like this:

Make double sure you’re cutting the new notch on the correct side!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Sounds pretty straightforward.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice. Thanks for the info and the write up.

And. Nice rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -NRA Life Member

-Harleys. Mustangs. When in doubt, throttle out!