Thread: Need a plinker

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Need a plinker

I need a .22 LR rifle, both for plinking, and to ease newcomers into a comfortable beginning shooting experience. I've had Rugers in the past, and a breakdown in a backpacker stock is definitely a prime option, but what about the AR look-alikes? I am looking at the M&P 15-22, but everybody has those. What, if any is the opinion of the HK 416 replica that Rainier has? I don't like me, or my stuff looking like everybody else's (unless there's a performance advantage, of course). I want a rifle that will blend in with my other rifles, but also create less an image of training wheels for new shooters.

Thoughts? Thanks guys.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not handled the 416 replica, sorry, wish I could. You might want to consider a nice bolt gun in 22LR. With a good trigger, and nice glass, it has proven to be a confidence builder when working with new shooters. Can have the appearance of "big game" rifles, and would not have to look like all the black rifle units seen at the range. Just a thought.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Or a little Henry .22 lever action.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Or a little Henry .22 lever action.
    I just got a Henry Youth 22 Lever gun for my son for Christmas as a step-up from his single shot Savage Rascal. The Henry is a funny little rifle and I've heard of adults buying the youth version just because it's so compact and is still easy to shoot. The lever action is a fun bridge between a bolt action and a semi auto.

That said, every gun owner should own a 10/22. Ton of aftermarket support. I put so much aftermarket into my 10/22 that I was able to rebuild my Ruger back to the original rifle with the spare parts. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I just got a Henry Youth 22 Lever gun for my son for Christmas as a step-up from his single shot Savage Rascal. The Henry is a funny little rifle and I've heard of adults buying the youth version just because it's so compact and is still easy to shoot.
    Nice, so did we..lol

After looking it over it’s a nice piece for the money. The front sight setup though...what the hell henry..plastic band that just sux...sight moves around.. humm..well quick google search and seems it’s been a common problem for a while. Supposedly fixed. So I emailed them and not a reply back but a new steel front sight/band just showed up in the mail. I have the part number on the paper somewhere if you want it.

Crappy quick pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Nice, so did we..lol

After looking it over it’s a nice piece for the money. The front sight setup though...what the hell henry..plastic band that just sux...sight moves around.. humm..well quick google search and seems it’s been a common problem for a while. Supposedly fixed. So I emailed them and not a reply back but a new steel front sight/band just showed up in the mail. I have the part number on the paper somewhere if you want it.
    Just checked and ours came new with the metal cover over the front sight

Downloads
    Uploads

Not an AR clone but worth taking a look at: https://www.tombstonetactical.com/ca...gray-laminate/
    Last edited by Stone; 14 January 2020 at 07:34.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have a look at Nordic Components. They stopped making their AR uppers years ago, but I just looked them up and it looks like they're making them again.

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/nc-22rb-upper/

I have an older one and it's absolutely fantastic. It doesn't have true bolt-hold open, but otherwise everything works like an AR and attaches to a regular AR lower. I couldn't tell you how many rounds I have through mine, but I've shot mine out to 200y with a red dot and it was very repeatable (once I found the 3-foot holdover). I also used to run mine in rimfire matches. Lots of fun.

I think I wrote something up about them here a long time ago....ah, here it is: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...-22&highlight=

When I lived out in CA, I bought a 15/22 for my wife to use since it is much lighter. That is a nice thing about the M&P as a trainer. But otherwise, the NC22 is the one I prefer to shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great suggestions so far, and weight is a consideration for all day outings as well as new shooters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Check out the Sig 522 if you can find one ... it's a great little plinker with a REALLY good trigger, and it uses standard Bad Dog (Big Dog?) magazines (CMMG as well).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    ...and it uses standard Bad Dog (Big Dog?) magazines (CMMG as well).
    Black Dog. "The" go-to .22 magazine for AR-style rimfires (that aren't M&P).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another vote for the Nordic if you want AR style. Regret getting rid of mine years ago.

10/22 always has my vote.

Summit Rifle from Volquartsen also has my vote. The action was original developed by PWS and it's sooooooooo smoth. Keep meaning to get one.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/...2-summit-rifle

Downloads
    Uploads
    So did mine. The hood and sight are metal/some special “alloy”

But the band that goes around them is plastic/or again some weird alloy they say.

The new sight/band is all metal. Much better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some nice flame on that stock. Fair trade for a piece of plastic!

Kinda leaning toward a 10/22 in a backpacker stock. Seems like it's going to be as light, or lighter than most AR style rifles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does have a cool pattern, might stain up/stripe the friend to match...not anytime soon though needs some character first.

A 10/22 backpacker seems like a cool idea..but not really what I need past my old 10/22 (early eighties)

The 15-22 we have is all stock beside some Magpul furniture, it literally gets shot the most when it goes out with the women, kids or new shooters.. Light, easy to aim and shoot (still runnng std irons on it) mags are cheap , and just flat woks, only had mane one or two hiccups and that was cause I was test g out what ammo would make it hiccup.. no rem stuff and about very the mag wise feeds perfect.