Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for a 20” (possibly longer) .223 barrel

I’m going to be competing in a tactical division next year which requires you shoot either .308 or .223. The Open division has all the hot rods like the Creedmoors, 6GT/Dasher/etc etc.

My current 16” Ultramatch barrels are fantastic but I want to step it up a notch for velocity’s sake. Currently, I’m pushing 75gr Hornadys around 2650fps. 4” extra would probably add somewhere around 80-100fps, and I think I’m going to start using 73gr ELDs for said matches, so all in I want to be closer to or hitting 2800fps, which is definitely doable

I also have a ton of 77gr TMKs which would be greatly accelerated as well....my load for them is in the low 2600s but they’re darn accurate. Of course I’d be re-working my loads

I’m getting off track.

I’ve been looking at quality barrels and the two I’m comparing to start with are:

20” Rainier UM Mod 2 SDM ($380)
    https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...sion-20-satin/

1/2x28 threads
    1:7.5
    Fluted
    .750 gas block seat
    2lbs 6oz

20” Criterion 223 Wylde ($340)
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod84773.aspx

1/2x28 threads
    1:7.5
    Fluted
    .750 gas block seat
    2lbs 3oz

They’re VERY similar all the way around and both have good reputations.

I checked WOA barrels and the ones I liked were either unthreaded or 5/8x24.

Any other sub $400 barrel worth looking at? The corresponding Lilja barrel I liked was $500

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Any other sub $400 barrel worth looking at? The corresponding Lilja barrel I liked was $500
    I bought a Lilja barrel a few years ago. I had to send it back to them to re-cut the chamber. They're not all they are cracked up to be ...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I bought a Lilja barrel a few years ago. I had to send it back to them to re-cut the chamber. They're not all they are cracked up to be ...
    Glad my top two choices are less expensive! Thanks for the heads up

Downloads
    Uploads
    Craddock is always solid. I looked at their 223 barrels and they have none listed over 20”. I’m sure he can turn one for any length you specify.

https://craddockprecision.com/ar15-barrels/

If a Bartlein, you can choose your twist rate. But that’s above $500.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Craddock is always solid. I looked at their 223 barrels and they have none listed over 20”. I’m sure he can turn one for any length you specify.

https://craddockprecision.com/ar15-barrels/

If a Bartlein, you can choose your twist rate. But that’s above $500.
    Yeah with my options it was a hair over $800 lol

That’s a taaaaaaad bit out of my league I think

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whoa, that’s up near Proof territory.

Curious what options you selected.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Whoa, that’s up near Proof territory.

Curious what options you selected.
    Craddock Bartlein w/ Straight fluting, Superlative Gas Block + tube, and a head spaced bolt. $842. “Free” options: 1:7.7, 1/2x28 threads, .875” seat

I selected the Craddock Criterion 20” barrel with identical options as above and came out to $570. Fluting wasn’t standard on that particular Criterion barrel as it is with the one in my first post. To be fair, the $570 includes the gas block and tube I’d be buying anyways which is about $110, so it’s more like $430 vs $570 for the two Criterion barrels.

One more option I’ve found and heard good things about:

Faxon 20” Heavy Match Nitrided 223 Wylde ($320)
    1/2x28 threads
    1:8 twist/5R rifling
    Fluted
    .750 gas block seat
    2lbs 1oz

https://faxonfirearms.com/match-seri...lon-extension/

I’ve read good things about this barrel. Definitely adding this to the list for consideration

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Craddock Bartlein w/ Straight fluting, Superlative Gas Block + tube, and a head spaced bolt. $842. “Free” options: 1:7.7, 1/2x28 threads, .875” seat

I selected the Craddock Criterion 20” barrel with identical options as above and came out to $570. Fluting wasn’t standard on that particular Criterion barrel as it is with the one in my first post. To be fair, the $570 includes the gas block and tube I’d be buying anyways which is about $110, so it’s more like $430 vs $570 for the two Criterion barrels.
    Ah, gotcha. Was curious because I played around with it some after Fledge posted the link (been debating something more accurate for a 16”) and actually used most of the same options as you, except no gas block or bolt. So yes, I can see how that drove cost up.

Another barrel maybe to consider, a buddy of mine has a BCM 20” 410SS barrel that he can pull 1/2 - 3/4 MOA 5 shot groups with. At least with 77gr hand loads. About 1 MOA with 77gr Razorcore.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just on brand and quality alone, I’d choose the Ranier UM over Faxon. Isn’t the UM made from Shilen blanks? If they are anything like my 18” SMOS shilen barrels, I would be very happy with that. It’s beyond its price point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just on brand and quality alone, I’d choose the Ranier UM over Faxon. Isn’t the UM made from Shilen blanks? If they are anything like my 18” SMOS shilen barrels, I would be very happy with that. It’s beyond its price point.
    Gen 1's were Shilens, Gen 2 they changed, not sure who makes the blanks... but they are all turned by a company named in this thread... which is probably why they're such great shooters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Gen 1's were Shilens, Gen 2 they changed, not sure who makes the blanks... but they are all turned by a company named in this thread... which is probably why they're such great shooters.
    Yeah, I’d go with the UM. Do they still have the satisfaction warranty?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I’d go with the UM. Do they still have the satisfaction warranty?
    Correct, all RA barrels have the 90 day money back guarantee

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeaaahhh....I’ve currently got three Ultramatch barrels in use (One Shilen/Mod 1 and two Mod 2s) and have had six RA barrels total. No reason to switch now I guess. I’d still love to know who tunes them but secrets gonna secret, and the results are obviously there

Was reading a Snipers Hide thread from 2018 about a guy testing four new Mod 2 RA barrels (300BLK, 223 Wylde, 224V, and 6.5CM). Wish I had that kind of time!! He was getting High 2700s/Low 2800s with 73gr ELDs and 77gr SMKs in a 20” just like I was looking at, which are exactly the figures I was hoping for. I really need a sponsor for next year lol. We’ll see how I do overall this year and go from there....I’m just happy that I’m learning so much more about shooting than I ever would’ve just pinging steel and playing around with new hand loads every outing

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is this a run and gun kinda course or stationary timed

If run and gun I’d take the 16” , for such a small gain-FPS. But if sitting, I’d take the longer barrel

Not trying to buzzkill your new build idea..just don’t totally see why.. don’t ya have a 18” UM?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Is this a run and gun kinda course or stationary timed

If run and gun I’d take the 16” , for such a small gain-FPS. But if sitting, I’d take the longer barrel

Not trying to buzzkill your new build idea..just don’t totally see why.. don’t ya have a 18” UM?
    I used to have an 18” but I sold the barrel.

It was a weird intermediate length to me...like either go 16” or shorter or go 20” or longer. Sort of like .40 S&W....it just doesn’t make sense

The matches I’m doing have a little of both. It’s all on the clock and some stages are more stationary and some have a lot more movement, changing positions (like inside a vehicle to outside on the hood) or from a boat etc etc etc. A 24-26” barrel would be excessive because regardless I’ll be using a can and that would be super long