Downloads
    Uploads

Handguard Question

I’m FINALLY finishing up my 9mm pistol build after 2yrs...yeah, I know, hush. Lol...Anyway. I bought a 9” Guntec MLOK handguard from Optics Planet for it. Well. When I originally bought it, I checked the fitment to the upper and the MBUS sights on the Aero upper and the handguard. Upper, is perfectly good. Its Aero. It should be. The handguard however, is not. I put the sight on, and it wiggles around. Thats a problem. So last night, I got all the parts back out along with my digital caliper and checked the pic rail widths. The upper checks in at .8275”, and the handguard comes in at .8165”. No, it doesn’t seem like much, but still. A gap is a gap. I emailed O.P. then and said I would have to go through Guntec instead of them. 1) anybody ever had this problem with a handguard? And 2) anybody ever dealt with Guntec? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -NRA Life Member

-Harleys. Mustangs. When in doubt, throttle out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only heard of guntec, but I know they're regarded as lower tier.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to things like rails. Tolerances sometimes get loosey goosey. I'd contact guntec and see what they have to say.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Inexpensive = decent for the money

Cheap = Get what you pay for

There is not another industry where this is truer. There are lots of folks who shoot once a year, maybe a couple times and lower cost stuff works for them. There is nothing wrong with having something within a person's means. Some look down their nose at these folks and wave their fancy, gucci gear around and spout off about trusting your life with this or that... You won't find that here, though many of us appreciate nicer things. Many of us are older, non-fudds with a common interest in nice stuff. Most of us don't have a buidling full of stuff, but that's okay. A few nice things and I'm a happy guy*; life isn't all about possessions and who has the most. That's the difference between here and some "other" places on the interwebs is you won't get shamed for what you have. Like what you got and nobody else's opinion matters.

That said, you know Aero is solid. Maybe pass the Guntec off to a newbie and scoop up an Aero rail at their labor day sale? You'll know you have a gun that's every bit the quality of a Colt, for less bucks to boot!

* Except guitars. God wants me to have more guitars!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I've only heard of guntec, but I know they're regarded as lower tier.

You definitely get what you pay for when it comes to things like rails. Tolerances sometimes get loosey goosey. I'd contact guntec and see what they have to say.
    Yeah. The more I looked around, the more I got that notion. I was figuring since O.P. carried them, they’d be at least decent. Guess not. It’d probably be fine if you just wanted a handguard for a handguard, and run an optic only on the upper, but not so in the case for me.

Yeah. I think I will. Maybe. Or. Just scrap it and count my losses and get a good one. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Inexpensive = decent for the money

Cheap = Get what you pay for

There is not another industry where this is truer. There are lots of folks who shoot once a year, maybe a couple times and lower cost stuff works for them. There is nothing wrong with having something within a person's means. Some look down their nose at these folks and wave their fancy, gucci gear around and spout off about trusting your life with this or that... You won't find that here, though many of us appreciate nicer things. Many of us are older, non-fudds with a common interest in nice stuff. Most of us don't have a buidling full of stuff, but that's okay. A few nice things and I'm a happy guy*; life isn't all about possessions and who has the most. That's the difference between here and some "other" places on the interwebs is you won't get shamed for what you have. Like what you got and nobody else's opinion matters.

That said, you know Aero is solid. Maybe pass the Guntec off to a newbie and scoop up an Aero rail at their labor day sale? You'll know you have a gun that's every bit the quality of a Colt, for less bucks to boot!

* Except guitars. God wants me to have more guitars!
    There is definitely a difference. And right now, I’m feeling pretty stupid, honestly. I was on a budget when I bought it. (Out on disability for back surgery). And planned on building it a LOT sooner than now, so, I tried to skimp by. I should’ve known better. On that note, I don’t look down on people who don’t run a BCM or LMT or a Larue, or whatever else. Like you said. Within your means. And I am not one to just shoot once or twice a year. My stuff WORKS. My 20” frankenstein gun is a .75MOA, north of $1k, piece of art, WITHOUT the scope on it. Lol. I’m just really kicking myself in the arse right now over this handguard thing. I still get on those *other places* here and there, but I’ve grown to REALLY like this place for that exact reason. People with a common interest who don’t bash others who want to help each other. It’s how it SHOULD BE.

I’m definitely shopping again for another handguard. Maybe they’ll take this one back and I won’t be out anything and put it towards a different one. One can only hope.

Yes. Always more guitars! (I’m a watch and sunglasses collector. Lol)

-NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    You going with another 9" ?

Personal faves... CMT HDX Rails, Centurion Arms' new C4 MLOK's, CMR's... you could also go with an Aero 9" Atlas, or even enhanced.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    You going with another 9" ?

Personal faves... CMT HDX Rails, Centurion Arms' new C4 MLOK's, CMR's... you could also go with an Aero 9" Atlas, or even enhanced.
    At least 9”, or a 10” if I can find one I like. I found one, from a company called Stingr. I was referred to them in an FB group. Made in Texas. Apparently higher quality. I don’t know. Heard of ‘em? I just checked out some Aero after getting an email from them. 1) sale 2) coupon code for even more off blem stuff. Everything I liked was out of stock. Go figure. Haha. I’ll have to check out the others you mentioned. But first, bed time. Turkey hunting in the morning.

-NRA Life Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearhead View Post
    Yeah. The more I looked around, the more I got that notion. I was figuring since O.P. carried them, they’d be at least decent. Guess not. It’d probably be fine if you just wanted a handguard for a handguard, and run an optic only on the upper, but not so in the case for me.

Yeah. I think I will. Maybe. Or. Just scrap it and count my losses and get a good one. Haha.

There is definitely a difference. And right now, I’m feeling pretty stupid, honestly. I was on a budget when I bought it. (Out on disability for back surgery). And planned on building it a LOT sooner than now, so, I tried to skimp by. I should’ve known better. On that note, I don’t look down on people who don’t run a BCM or LMT or a Larue, or whatever else. Like you said. Within your means. And I am not one to just shoot once or twice a year. My stuff WORKS. My 20” frankenstein gun is a .75MOA, north of $1k, piece of art, WITHOUT the scope on it. Lol. I’m just really kicking myself in the arse right now over this handguard thing. I still get on those *other places* here and there, but I’ve grown to REALLY like this place for that exact reason. People with a common interest who don’t bash others who want to help each other. It’s how it SHOULD BE.

I’m definitely shopping again for another handguard. Maybe they’ll take this one back and I won’t be out anything and put it towards a different one. One can only hope.

Yes. Always more guitars! (I’m a watch and sunglasses collector. Lol)

Haha, I spent two months being a "man of leisure " after back surgery last year. I know exactly what you mean.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Geissele and SLR have 10" rail too. It seems like SLR has tons of fractional lengths to get the perfect rail.