Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I've never used Lancers before. Do you have the same potential issue of bending a feed lip if you drop the mag on a hard surface, or is there still a polymer shell around them to help take the blow?
    According to their website they use hardened steel for the feed lips. Not aluminum or whatever. I would think it would withstand a lot more abuse but who knows.

Here is a quote from the Lancer description:

"The L5AWM’s exclusive hybrid design includes a hardened steel feed lip assembly molded into a proprietary polymer body with aggressive surface texturing to create the ultimate rifle magazine tough enough for military, law enforcement, and competition applications."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Defensive weapon and all stored mags are USGI. I had some P mags loaded for about 2 years and they without question bulged. 6 or 7 of the 10 (known good and used in a particular weapon) would no longer drop free.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I mentioned the springs due to ideal conditions. Ideally, they should be fine. Experience has led me not to trust them at all.

I’ve had a PMag spring snap randomly, I was one of the many soldiers subject to the dust + checkmate Beretta mag cluster, I’ve done my own tests on Glock factory mags with compression (which had some of the rounds just loose and falling out, no tension...(I lost all the photos when Photobucket stopped being free). Again under perfect conditions I think they’re fine. But conditions are rarely that. I keep a good stash of Colt & Center Ind USGI mags along with Gen 1-3 PMags. I like both for various reasons.

Mags to me are wear items. I inspect and maintain the ones I use and rotate them out when needed. I’ll gladly strip a follower out or keep whatever’s good and trash whats left. I usually don’t even think about it until threads like this pop up

Downloads
    Uploads
    The metal is over the polymer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gotcha. I figured that would have to be the way to do it, kind of like Glock mags.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Mags to me are wear items.
    Exactly. Luckily, most common mags are fairly inexpensive, especially for the AR. I don't have many systems that take $100 mags.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of...

Godspeed, my friend. It gave several years of reliable service until the 5.45 bullets finally started puncturing the polymer. (Ignore the scrapes on the outside of the feed lips...that was from today when I was trying to crack the body, which I failed at)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The main complaint I've heard about the Lancer AWMs is that the feed lips can rust and thus cause malfunctions as the drag from the rust prevents proper feeding; this was observed by a friend who saw this occur during training rotations at Ft. Polk. The translucent ones are also in theory more vulnerable to solvents, as I am told that the poly carb is protected by a coating that can wear off over time.

I've had the little plastic tabs at the front of the magazine break off on my AWMs; Lancer has told me that this will not adversely impact functionality, but it is a bit irksome.

For vehicle storage, I would be concerned about the temperature cycles and how that might affect the powder and primer in the cartridge, as I have heard conflicting statements on whether or not it would affect reliability. I would not worry about the magazines, though, as long as they are from quality manufacturers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I would not worry about the magazines, though, as long as they are from quality manufacturers.
    I agree with this. With modern springs/polymer, I don't worry about magazines very often. Maybe 15-20 years ago this was more of an issue, but not so much now. You have to make sure you use those magazines that you've set aside for actual use to ensure function.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I’ve had a number of Gen 2 pmags loaded to full capacity for around eight years. Finally decided to shoot them all and reload them with 75gr ammo for storage vs. the M193 I had in them. After sitting loaded, to full capacity, without those silly clips, every single one was totally fine.

However I’ve come to prefer DD’s 32 round mags. Thus far they seem just as tough, but have 2 more capacity with seemingly less spring pressure on the feed lips. Bc of this they also load on a closed bolt easier. Never had a malf with one either.
    great

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always find the 28, 29, full mag philosophies/debate interesting. Like most things I guess.......it’s different strokes for different folks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    I always find the 28, 29, full mag philosophies/debate interesting. Like most things I guess.......it’s different strokes for different folks.
    I used to sweat that. But with today's modern mags, I don't sweat it anymore. I do take them out of the safe once in a while and dump them at the range. Then I just rotate some more back in. Haven't had a mag problem for a long time now.
    FT.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper