Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for a place to do DLC

So I’m debating having a carrier and cam pin done up in DLC. Anyone know a good place that would do it?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have a direct answer but I would think it would be like other things that I asked about before regarding nitride treatment.

I was told that it doesn't make sense to do stuff like that on a one by one basis and that it would be very cost prohibitive. What I was then told to do was to let a gunsmith add my part (s) to an existing batch that they are sending out and it would be fine but that's really the only way.

Basically you have to find a gun smith that is sending things out and tag it along. Apparently lots of gunsmiths at least in my area talk to each other and will pool all the parts together for specific things that make a big enough batch to warrant a run.

It might be totally different for DLC but I would imagine it would be about the same thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eh, may not be worth it then. Would have just been extra icing on an already exceptional cake.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just grabbed one of the forward controls cam pin for my latest project.. nice little piece

There’s plenty of carrier options out there now that I don’t see the reason to spend more money on such a part..

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want to go super Gucci, get a Cryptic Coated one.

A lot of companies quit doing one off coatings. I'm guessing it wasn't cost effective or the demand wasn't there. Robar went out of business not too long ago, and I know in January, WMD stopped taking individual orders for Nickel Boron.

To make it cost effective, I think the only route would be if you knew someone that DLC'ed their existing product and asked to send your parts in with the batch. Long Shot obviously...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve actually got a Mystic Black carrier that I like a lot. I got it from another member here with something like 20k rounds on it, and it stills looks pretty good considering. Also got a Mystic Bronze for my wife’s rifle that she loves.

In this case though, the carrier in question is an LMT E-Carrier that I was wanting to get done just because. I’ve started looking at Cerakote Elite options, which is supposed to be way better than regular Cerakote and rival Teflon in terms of coefficient of friction. I reached out to Mad Custom Coatings about their Mad Black Plus, which I think is the same thing, but am still waiting on a reply.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    I just grabbed one of the forward controls cam pin for my latest project.. nice little piece

There’s plenty of carrier options out there now that I don’t see the reason to spend more money on such a part..
    Yeah it’s not really necessary for me, but I enjoy custom one-off parts and am incorporating several of those into an ultra high end build I’m doing. Custom laser engraving on a lower, got a titanium flame anodized Sentry 7 gas block coming from SLR... stuff like that. It’s part of building I really enjoy.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Yeah it’s not really necessary for me, but I enjoy custom one-off parts and am incorporating several of those into an ultra high end build I’m doing. Custom laser engraving on a lower, got a titanium flame anodized Sentry 7 gas block coming from SLR... stuff like that. It’s part of building I really enjoy.
    I'm way more on board with this line of thinking than I was before.

You can only have so many purpose driven rifles, sometimes you just want different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve actually got a Mystic Black carrier that I like a lot. I got it from another member here with something like 20k rounds on it, and it stills looks pretty good considering. Also got a Mystic Bronze for my wife’s rifle that she loves.

In this case though, the carrier in question is an LMT E-Carrier that I was wanting to get done just because. I’ve started looking at Cerakote Elite options, which is supposed to be way better than regular Cerakote and rival Teflon in terms of coefficient of friction. I reached out to Mad Custom Coatings about their Mad Black Plus, which I think is the same thing, but am still waiting on a reply.
    I did the Mad Black on a couple of phosphate BCG a few years back and they still look amazing. They’ve supposedly improved upon it since then and I’ve haven’t heard a single negative about it from anyone. Not sure price now, but it was relatively cheap if I remember correctly and turnaround was pretty quick.

I’ve purchased a Cryptic BCG for some added bling and had great luck with it also.

I’ve also went a little crazy and purchased a titanium Carrier for a .300 build.

As others have stated, it’s kind of interesting/enjoyable to try different stuff out on builds that aren’t exactly purpose driven.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I just talked to to Mad on the phone and it’s $85 for a BCG and $25 for a charging handle for the new Mad Black Plus. Definitely think I’m going to go with that.

Awesome to hear your positive experience with it!

Undecided if I’m going to do a build thread or not. I don’t build guns for the internet and I can’t take WEVO worthy pictures, but this is my first ever actual “Money-no-object” build, and I think it’s going to be REALLY sweet and a rockstar performer.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I just talked to to Mad on the phone and it’s $85 for a BCG and $25 for a charging handle for the new Mad Black Plus. Definitely think I’m going to go with that.

Awesome to hear your positive experience with it!

Undecided if I’m going to do a build thread or not. I don’t build guns for the internet and I can’t take WEVO worthy pictures, but this is my first ever actual “Money-no-object” build, and I think it’s going to be REALLY sweet and a rockstar performer.
    Dude... Money-No-Object build and there's no thread?

Sound criminal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well when you put it that way...

I’m out on a twelve day rotation right now. Once I get back home and can catch a breather I’ll see about getting one up.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well when you put it that way...

I’m out on a twelve day rotation right now. Once I get back home and can catch a breather I’ll see about getting one up.
    Please do. We need more entertainment around here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone here did a torture test on the cryptic BCG a while back anyone remember that thread? Can't seem to find it...

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

$140 and 6 weeks to DLC a bolt carrier group.