Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Downloads
    Uploads

Trucks

I'm contemplating a new Truck sometime in 2021, so nothing too soon.

So what do you guys like? I've got no brand loyalties in the Truck arena....

Probably just a 1/2 ton, full size pickup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can only speak to the 2015 F150 in the half ton. The F150 didn’t ride like a truck—super smooth—and the ecoboost had authority. I’d get another.

A consideration is also service departments. Make sure it has a good reputation and closer to home. I negotiated a loaner into my purchase. I always got a car/truck to use for a few hours when my truck needed maintenance and repair.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been driving a 2015 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8 FX4 for about 3 years now and love it. I had been a Chevy guy my whole life but I think I've had to replace the transmission in every GM product I've ever owned. I bought a used truck and put the money saved from not buying new to cover the cost of upgrading the suspension, wheels, grill, bumper, and few other things, loosely copying the Roush Performance F-150. I ended up getting exactly the truck I wanted and my inner-16-year-old is very happy (except that it took almost 30 years for me to get there). When it dies (or becomes my son's), I'll probably do something similar but go with the ecoboost V6. Maybe even go strait to a Raptor but I like buying used so I don't feel as bad when I scratch it, and while I don't use my truck like a rancher, I do get into the mountains and for chores around my property.

When I first got the F-150, I was really impressed at how well it handled on the road, just like Fledge says. After my suspension and wheels update, mine rides a bit more like you'd expect from a truck.

I think the Silverado's look sharp, too. Tundra doesn't have the reputation the Tacoma does, but are a good value. I think the only reason people buy Dodge is because it's what their Daddy raised them in, but that's probably true for most brand loyalties when it comes to trucks.

Edit: corrected engine spec to 5.0L
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 29 May 2020 at 18:19.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I can only speak to the 2015 F150 in the half ton. The F150 didn’t ride like a truck—super smooth—and the ecoboost had authority. I’d get another.

A consideration is also service departments. Make sure it has a good reputation and closer to home. I negotiated a loaner into my purchase. I always got a car/truck to use for a few hours when my truck needed maintenance and repair.
    Yes, Service is a huge thing. Honestly that's my number 1 reason for staying with BMW for my every day drivers. I'm personal friends with the service manager and he's helped me out more times than I can remember. I know he won't screw me over, and when a large maintenance bill is due, he'll try to time it up with a coupon or discounted rate as best he can.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I've been driving a 2015 F-150 Lariat 5.7l V8 FX4 for about 3 years now and love it. I had been a Chevy guy my whole life but I think I've had to replace the transmission in every GM product I've ever owned..
    Good info, upon inital browsing, I really like the GMC version, the Sierra. Never owned a GM product other than an old G6 my wife bought into the marriage back in the day.

Tundra is another option, maybe even a Tacoma. Not sure I need an actual full size. Seems like the compact trucks now, Tacoma, Canyon, Ranger, ect are just as big as full size trucks from 15 years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Boiler-I think your still stuck on Chevy..Ford has no 5.7, but Chevy does .. lol

I’m a ford guy thru and thru, early 2000’s f150/lariat/5.4/4x4 - solid trick and no major problems in 228xxx miles..

You couldn’t pay me to get one of them new Chevy tricks——UGLYYYY front end to start..

For you , wife and 1 kidling..and if you don’t haul much...The Toyota pickups are a good choice..Better on gas (model dependent)

Or, like myself if I had the coin for a new pickup ( never had a NEW NEW rig) I’d go strait for the Shelby SVT Raptor..$120 k ‘ish....lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Good info, upon inital browsing, I really like the GMC version, the Sierra. Never owned a GM product other than an old G6 my wife bought into the marriage back in the day.

Tundra is another option, maybe even a Tacoma. Not sure I need an actual full size. Seems like the compact trucks now, Tacoma, Canyon, Ranger, ect are just as big as full size trucks from 15 years ago.
    I was dreaming about getting a Tacoma for several years until I ended up with a free upgrade to an F-150 when I rented a truck for a hunting trip north of Spokane. The smooth ride and spacious cabin changed my mind, plus my wife was all in for a full size as we have two kids, a dog, and were planning on getting a camping trailer. I'm very glad I went with the full size as we did end up buying a small Airstream and the full size pulling the camper makes for excellent road trips.

On the service side, I live between two dealerships (Renton and Issaquah) and I'll just say that one is exceptional is the other is kind of what you'd expect from any dealership, so whichever you go with shop the dealers, too. I've had to take mine in to fix the sunroof twice and both times Ford took care of it at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Boiler-I think your still stuck on Chevy..Ford has no 5.7, but Chevy does .. lol
    Oops, you are right. It's a 5.0L. I wanted the V8 because I still have a little reluctance to buying things with turbocharges due the maintenance issues, but I'm coming around as I know the technology has come a long way. I just bought a Kubota tractor with a turbocharger so maybe that will get me past my hangups.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya the 5.0 coyote motor is a beast.. I’d like to put one in a foxbody mustang..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm contemplating a new Truck sometime in 2021, so nothing too soon.

So what do you guys like? I've got no brand loyalties in the Truck arena....

Probably just a 1/2 ton, full size pickup.
    I drove a fully loaded 4wd Tacoma for several years (until it got totaled in an insane accident). I have been thinking about getting another truck since then.

If I were to do it all over again I would not do the 1/2 cab option. It's just in my opinion better to go with the full double cab unless you have specific needs otherwise.

Also it's wise to be realistic about the terrain. I had a 4wd that would drive through just about anything. That said I ultimately drove it on the street most of the time and that really chewed up the tires. At more than $1600 for a set of four that adds up over time. If you really need 4wd it's great but in general it's just a 'cool factor'. I had that truck buried up to the doors and where you couldn't see out the windshield for all the mud and it never got stuck. But 90% of the time I drove it to work so the trade off wasn't ultimately worth it.

Also the gas mileage pretty much sucked. I was originally thinking a smaller truck would have better gas mileage but not so. Whatever you look at, also look at and compare to the next size up and with a bigger power plant and you might be surprised.

I will probably get a truck again at some point but this time it will have a full double cab and be bigger overall.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Something to keep in mind if you like to park your vehicles in the garage... Whatever you end up looking at, make sure it will fit. I've been in the "hmm, what would I get" stages for months trying to figure out if I'd replace my 4Runner. I was contemplating the double-cab Tacoma, and it's huge, along with most pickups. It won't fit in my garage with my workbench in there. So, back to day dreaming about 4Runners or smaller.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Something to keep in mind if you like to park your vehicles in the garage... Whatever you end up looking at, make sure it will fit. I've been in the "hmm, what would I get" stages for months trying to figure out if I'd replace my 4Runner. I was contemplating the double-cab Tacoma, and it's huge, along with most pickups. It won't fit in my garage with my workbench in there. So, back to day dreaming about 4Runners or smaller.
    Good point, my garage will be 24' deep on the first 2 bays and 30' deep on the second 2. Should be plenty of room.

I've always wanted a double cab Tacoma. In 2002, I wanted an extended cab Pre-Runner, but could not strike deal. They were mid to high 20's back then, it's amazing how much value Tacoma's retain as I still see them for 7-10k all day long, depending on condition and mileage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Toyota ruined the Tacoma and 4 runner lines with that snake-looking front end they put on it. I've driven Fords since the mid-90's and have no intention of changing. I buy a two year-old with low mileage and enjoy the newer vehicle that's had the bugs worked out. One thing I do is replace every vital fluid with synthetic, down to the transfer case and diffs. I'm a low mileage driver, so I change the oil once a year and call it good. Extends the reliability and MTBF, IMO.

Yoda does have an edge on price. Tacomas run mid 30's to low 40's and even the new Ranger is close to 50 grand with decent options. Hell, I would love to have a Raptor, but those are stupid expensive to the point of having no practicality for occasional off-roaders. Pushing 80 grand is not a vehicle in my eyes, that's a weekend river cottage here, with a little bit of land to put it on!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Toyota ruined the Tacoma and 4 runner lines with that snake-looking front end they put on it. I've driven Fords since the mid-90's and have no intention of changing. I buy a two year-old with low mileage and enjoy the newer vehicle that's had the bugs worked out. One thing I do is replace every vital fluid with synthetic, down to the transfer case and diffs. I'm a low mileage driver, so I change the oil once a year and call it good. Extends the reliability and MTBF, IMO.

Yoda does have an edge on price. Tacomas run mid 30's to low 40's and even the new Ranger is close to 50 grand with decent options. Hell, I would love to have a Raptor, but those are stupid expensive to the point of having no practicality for occasional off-roaders. Pushing 80 grand is not a vehicle in my eyes, that's a weekend river cottage here, with a little bit of land to put it on!
    That's why I'm kind of looking at the Toyotas... they're cheaper. Not as fancy as you can build up the Fords and GMC's. Honestly, this is more for utility than anything else. Still surprised how a mid-level truck is going for mid 40's. Cars have become really expensive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Toyota ruined the Tacoma and 4 runner lines with that snake-looking front end they put on it. I've driven Fords since the mid-90's and have no intention of changing. !
    There's things about the 6th Gen 4Runner that I like, but the front end isn't one of them. Why they keep market momentum is because they're relatively simple and still do what they originally were intended to do...4-wheel stuff. And they do it very well stock. Even if you don't use it all that often (like me), they continue to be impressive with their abilities if you need them.

I have a 5th gen (2007) and would love to get better gas mileage (and a little more modern cabin). I looked at the new Rangers, and they look like a neat option, but they start to lose me when they only sell a turbo 4. I've rented one and the gearing was bizarre, as it was always trying to find the "best" gear, causing delays in acceleration when needed. They seem to be capable in many respects, but I'm just not convinced the overall market reliance on turbo-4 bangers will show the long-term reliability that inline/V-6 motors do when put under load.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If there was an aftermarket headlight that took away that bug eyed snake look, it'd be a huge improvement to at least tolerable levels of ugly. The F series Fords are the best looking trucks right now. Chevy/GM has been in a boxy phase forever and Dodge is just Meh, better off catching on fire than sinking to the bottom of every mud puddle and getting stuck. I'm really wanting to find a good bed for my old Ranger and drive on. It runs like a top, isn't ugly and there's no mortgage to it.

A buddy has an F-350 King Ranch with a powerstroke diesel and its beautiful, but he's a doc, so he can afford the damn thing. Not many people can justify that for a daily driver outside of commercial application.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!