Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy $$$ Build

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Crazy $$$ Build

So the day finally came where I said “F*ck it. I’m gonna build the rifle I want.”

An End-of-the-World Race Recce built with the best synergies from the combat, race, and lightweight realms of AR’s.

No compromises. None, whatsoever, of any kind. Money no object.

To do this I made and followed a thought tree for part selection.

Function > Ergonomics/Interface > Weight

Function of the given part first and foremost. Of everything available, which can do the job best? What’s toughest and least likely to fail? What additional benefits can be gained?

Following function was ergonomics and interfacing considerations. We’ve all handled weapons that felt great, and we’ve all handled weapons that haven’t. Small differences can make a very tangible difference. I wanted to address this and put together a weapon that felt molded as much as possible for the human to machine interface. As a parallel, I wanted the weapon to have a soft and silky smooth recoil impulse.

Once these conditions were met, or when they were non-applicable or at a performance tie, weight was the deciding factor. Decided by the differences down to the ounce and gram.

The parts list:

Tip to Tail

Barrel:
    * Proof Research 16” Carbon Fiber 1/8 w/ Intermediate gas
    * SLR Multicolor Anodized Ti Sentry 7 GB w/ Nitrided Gas Tube

Receivers/Forend
    * Modern Carbine Brace Built MC6

Upper Components:
    * Forward Controls EPC
    * V7 Ultra Light Minimal FA
    * V7 Straight Dust Cover Rod
    * Radian Raptor CH

BCG:
    * LMT E-BCG
    * V7 Cam Pin
    * JP One Piece Gas Ring

Lower Componets:
    * Brace Built Receiver Matched Pivot Pins
    * Forward Controls ABC/r v3 Bolt Catch
    * V7 Ti Grip Screw
    * BAD Mag. Catch
    * Forward Controls EMR-H (Mag. Release)
    * Forward Controls Mag. Catch Spring
    * Umbrella Grip 23
    * V7 2055 Aluminum Lithium Carbine Buffer Tube
    * V7 Lightweight Castle Nut / End Plate

Trigger
    * JP Roller Module & Safety

Buffer System:
    * JP SCS

Stock:
    * Magpul SL w/ Limbsaver Recoil Pad

Sights:
    * Rainier BUIS

Optic:
    * Kahles K18i -1x8
    * Scalarworks Leap 30mm Mount

Pics of the receivers and other parts on hand. (Nevermind)

I’m going to do a back to back shootout with a few different muzzle devices and roll with whichever performs best. Goal with that is minimal flash and a flat muzzle.

The MC6 Chassis was chosen due to the incredible level of detail they put into it. 7075 for the receivers and even the forend. It had all the features I wanted without any I didn’t. I wanted something lightweight with a flared magwell, forward assist, and without the addition of ambi controls. I ALSO wanted something that was a true free float, which this is as the rail does not contact the barrel nut. The MC6 has ALL of that plus a little. Upper receiver tensioning and the inclusion of a cam pin track in the upper receiver to prevent dragging and scarring. Very nice. The set is cerakoted in what looks like, to my eye, a dark charcoal. It DOES have a crap ton of machine marks. You can see the lines of pretty much every single cutting operation of the CNC machine. HOWEVER, it is consistent and symmetrical and the former machinist that still resides within me is unbothered. In fact I actually kind of like it. Combined with the color and parts selection, it seems like it’s almost going to come together with a bit of a neo-industrial feel, which I think is kind of cool.

I went with an intermediate gas system for maximum system smoothness, and combined with the adjustable gas block, LMT E-Carrier, and JP SCS should be wicked smooth.

*A note on the gas block... my original intention was to use a BRT gas block with a micro tune gas port set for 5.56 (as 5.56 is all I buy). The issue I had with this was I would be limited to only 5.56 which didn’t really fit the whole... end of the world... mind set for the rifle. However I also read a piece of wisdom that said “Plan for the 99.9% of the time, not the 0.01%” which I found to be sound advice. The adjustable gas block gives me both. I can tune for total reliability with 5.56 and brass cased .223, and should 0.01% happen and the undead begin munching brains or Chinese fighters are buzzing around overhead, I can easily open the gas to run any kind of ammo.

Other things. The BCG and charging handle are currently at MAD Custom Coatings getting refinished in MAD Black Plus, their signature black of Cerakote Elite which is supposed to be harder/stronger/all the things better than regular Cerakote while having a working coefficient of friction that rivals Teflon. This fits well into my criteria for both ruggedness and smoothness.

The optic is going to be a Kahles 1-8 riding in a Scalarworks 30mm mount. Optic was a hard choice for me and eventually I came down to the Kahles and the S&B PM2 Short Dot CC. I wanted something where I could PID targets within the effective range of a 5.56 75-77gr. OTM and engage them with precision. I want that while giving up nothing in across the room speed and performance. Not the easiest choice I’ve ever made. I ultimately went with the Kahles for the ultra wide FOV and weight. I just couldn’t realistically see much difference between the two at 1x. Scalarworks mount chosen because I love the one for my MRO and it’s the lightest available that’s quick on and off.

All parts are bought and paid for, most in hand. I’m just waiting for the scope to show up from Brownells, and the barrel which is potentially 12 weeks out. (Buzzkill)

To further personalize and make the rifle unique, I’ll be having some custom artwork deep laser engraved.

TL;DR: I’m building a super badass rifle. There’s a pic of the receivers somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 22 July 2021 at 15:33.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nevermind no pics.

Can’t upload direct to WEVO from an iPhone, iPad, and for whatever reason not Flickr either. So after about 6 conniptions and one iPad destroyed from a high velocity impact, I gave up.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Nevermind no pics.

Can’t upload direct to WEVO from an iPhone, iPad, and for whatever reason not Flickr either. So after about 6 conniptions and one iPad destroyed from a high velocity impact, I gave up.
    If you use Tapatalk on iPhone, uploading pictures is straightforward and easy. You simply click on the pictures icon, choose which album, then which pics you want, and upload them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds killer! Especially with the kahles as a cherry on top. I did a no holds barred build a while back and dont regret it one bit. Take a look at precision armaments AFAB, its top notch at hiding flash and shoots real flat. In fact I have it on all my rifles. https://precisionarmament.com/produc...r-compensator/

Is the proof 556 or 223 wylde?
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I’ve got the AFAB and the EFAB. I like both. I saw on the data sheet that the EFAB is like 6% better as a brake than the AFAB for braking, but I’m a little curious how something like FC 1815 does in comparison at just holding a muzzle down in terms of pure flatness. But yes, there’s a very very strong probability I’ll end up with another EFAB, or the slightly shorter and lighter AFAB.

Is there a thread or some pics of your no holds barred build floating around somewhere?
    Last edited by Aragorn; 31 May 2020 at 18:55.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Somewhere. Not sure where though. If I cant find it I can post some pics for you tomorrow.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I cant find it and dont think I did a thread on it. I do have the pics from the build and a parts list. If you want I can post them here or shoot me a PM and I can email them to you...

Downloads
    Uploads
    So what do you think of the Brace Built ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Is the proof 556 or 223 wylde?
    Sorry Stone I totally missed this. It’s a Wylde chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    So what do you think of the Brace Built ?
    I’ve got a whole lot of praise and two complaints. The ingenuity and pure thoughtfulness they put into it is amazing. Barrel installation couldn’t be easier. No timing and uses a barrel nut that may weigh an ounce. The forend is 7075-T6 and auto indexes itself to the upper. It’s a true free float as the barrel nut does not contact the forend. Receiver and forend lines flow and blend into each other cleanly and artfully. Weight has been tastefully brought down without looking forced or gaudy. The cam pin track is a tasteful addition that I didn’t immediately notice, and totally invalidated my purchase of a V7 cam pin. (I tend to buy V7 cam pins for their rounded shoulders to help reduce cam pin wear/drag in the upper.). A small channel is milled just to the left of the bolt catch roll pin so you’re less likely to garf up the lower while driving in that roll pin. I mean they put a LOT of thought into this.

The downsides are in the fit and finish. You can see every cutting line the CNC made. It’s clean and symmetrical, but they could have easily been hidden by just anodizing instead of using cerakote. It doesn’t bother me personally, but I’m betting it would a lot of people. The other thing is that my particular set, the upper and lower fit together very poorly. I mean it DOES have an upper receiver tensioning screw, but that doesn’t change the fact that they are literally the worse fit upper to lower pair I’ve ever ran across, INCLUDING randomly paired receivers.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 1 June 2020 at 10:08.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on the all out build...

That’s quite a list. Good stuff of form and function.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't own any Brace Built stuff, but I got to handle some at Rainier. I like the looks of the receivers, nice lines, but you're right, if you're a fit/finish guy, the fit seemed ok, but the finish was kind of on the just ok side. i think my no-budget build would center around the Radian lower myself because of ambi.

The Kahles 1-8 will be off the hook! More pics when you're done!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Congrats on the all out build...

That’s quite a list. Good stuff of form and function.
    Thanks! I’ve just been wanting to do it for so long, and I’m about to be shifting gears this year and putting money into other interests so it was getting to be now or.... possibly sometime in the unforeseeable future, which could include never.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I don't own any Brace Built stuff, but I got to handle some at Rainier. I like the looks of the receivers, nice lines, but you're right, if you're a fit/finish guy, the fit seemed ok, but the finish was kind of on the just ok side. i think my no-budget build would center around the Radian lower myself because of ambi.

The Kahles 1-8 will be off the hook! More pics when you're done!
    I actually almost went that route and purchased a radian set, but I don’t really have a need or desire for an ambi, save for the CH.

And yes! I’ll definitely be posting up pics as things progress; laser engraving, completion and all that. Gonna be awhile though before that barrel shows up.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a great build, extremely thoughtful. Looking forward to the finished product, both pictures and range report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright guys, I’ve reached an impasse.

Proof barrels don’t exist. Full disclosure, I cancelled the order. Too much going on, rather have the money in these times.

So. Barrel options. I can either wait to purchase a Proof later.... probably way, way, WAY later as I’ve looked at every single retailer that sells proof several times over the past few months. At this point, I’m feeling kind of over waiting.

The other option that really has me thinking about it is to get a Black River Tactical 14” MPC (medium profile). And yes that’s 14”, not 14.5” which would work perfectly with something like an AFAB or EFAB. I’ve got their 16” LPR (light profile) and frankly I love how the gun wearing it handles. The tapered profiles are very nice for weight and balance. The 14” weighs the same as the 16” I have, so it would still be light and handy, and should have superior thermal and accuracy properties just due to being the same weight while shorter. I also know these barrels are super smooth shooting, which is one of my criteria.

So, lighter/handier... presumably as good from a practical accuracy standpoint. What are y’all’s opinions? Will the velocity loss be noticeably detrimental over distance? Am I restricting myself if I do this? There’s also the gains in weapon handiness to consider.

My last option... well... I DID find ONE PLACE that has 16” proof barrels, but it’s a middy and not an intermediate, weighs 1 oz. less because of it. Wouldn’t be as smooth as the intermediate or the BRT barrel... but it is a proof and it is available. For the moment.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why did you want a Proof barrel in the first place? Weight? Carbon Fiber look?