Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy $$$ Build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    I hate to throw cold water, actually I don't, so tell me OP and others, exactly what will your huge bucks AR do that my mil spec AR won't do?
    Depends.... what do you have?
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here we go lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate to throw cold water, actually I don't, so tell me OP and others, exactly what will your huge bucks AR do that my mil spec AR won't do?
    You don't get called a big poor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I currently have 3 12.5 SBRs. Have them all set up differently. The best all around barrel i have is the Ballistic Advantage 12.3 Hanson Profile barrel. It is light weight and still ridged enough to hang a can off the end. It is also a solid sub MOA barrel. The fact that it comes with a pinned gas block it an extra bonus.
    Interesting to hear BA is your best all around. I would have suspected something other than that. What are your other 2? I’m leaning on the Hodge, waiting for one to come in stock somewhere.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Interesting to hear BA is your best all around. I would have suspected something other than that. What are your other 2? I’m leaning on the Hodge, waiting for one to come in stock somewhere.
    I have a Noveske CHF (Carbine Gas), and a Rainier Arms SS Mid Gas (It is a laser, my best is .41 MOA 5 shot group at 100 yards... but they don't make them any more). I have had the Noveske CHF for about 10 years now. I replaced a first run Noveske SS 12.5 that I shot out to a point that it was about 3 MOA (about 15k or so to that point with it and it is a solid MOA gun with about 12k thorough it. I really like the Rainier Arms Mid SS 12.5. It is a great shooter with an A5 Buffer system with a #1 buffer. Super soft with and without a can. I use the AAC Mini4 cans on all of my 12.5 guns.

To be honest, I don't know the fascination with the Hodge barrels. Most are gassed to run only with a can and that is an epic fail in my book. If you want a CHF 12.5 barrel I woul look at the Noveske or the Daniel Defense. I have used both and they are both great barrels. I have also used Centurion Arms 12.5 barrels and like the Hodge, I feel they are gassed for a can. Not enough to properly run properly with total crap ammo without a can on it.

I really like the BA Hanson 12.3 for a few reasons. You do not have to wait like 9 months for them to come in stock. They have a great profile for weight savings but ridged enough for a can. They have a pinned gas block (a must for me). They are a true MOA barrel, or better. If not they will give you a new one. I build one for a good friend and he got 19 of 20 hits on full ipsc silhouette steel targets at 800 yards with hand loaded 77 gr SMK.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    That gives me more to think about and puts the BRT back on the table to. Intention is to run adjustable gas to optimize for 5.56 and be able to open it up if for whatever reason all I have access to is crap ammo.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    That gives me more to think about and puts the BRT back on the table to. Intention is to run adjustable gas to optimize for 5.56 and be able to open it up if for whatever reason all I have access to is crap ammo.
    I HATE adjustable gas blocks. They are like putting a tourniquet on a arterial bleed. It will STOP the main issue but it does not FIX it. If you cannot get your rifle to work by adjusting the buffer and carrier then there is a much larger underlying problem.

And the too much gas in the face is total crap. I was blasting away with a MK18 and a KAC can and I lived.... and I had no issues shooting the weakest ammo without a can on it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I HATE adjustable gas blocks. They are like putting a tourniquet on a arterial bleed. It will STOP the main issue but it does not FIX it. If you cannot get your rifle to work by adjusting the buffer and carrier then there is a much larger underlying problem.

And the too much gas in the face is total crap. I was blasting away with a MK18 and a KAC can and I lived.... and I had no issues shooting the weakest ammo without a can on it.
    I hate excessive reciprocating mass.

May I suggest an alternate way to think about it? The Gas Port (size, location), reciprocating mass (BCG + buffer) and Spring are all elements of a system that needs to be in proper balance for reliable and efficient operation for the ammo and suppressor configuration being used. Overgassed ports sacrifice efficiency for reliability so the easiest way to solve for that is to restrict gas at the port. I'd argue that adding a heavier buffer to compensate for an oversized gas port is more of band-aid solution than an adjustable gas block. If you want reliability over a wide range of scenarios, you have to solve for the lowest gas combination and accept over-gassing everywhere else. Adding reciprocating mass to compensate for a gas port that is improperly sized is much less desirable to me personally than an AGB. And by 'efficient', I mean that over gassed systems are subjecting the weapon to higher temperatures and cyclic rates than needed the produce additional wear on the equipment and unneeded discomfort to the shooter (and potential additional health risks as that crap ain't exactly great to breathe in).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Adjustable gas blocks allow you to tune the proper amount of gas for your particular setup. Instead of a barrel maker having 1000 different port size options for the various configurations the end user has, it allows the end user to configure the rifle and adjust accordingly

Buffer spring and buffer weight swaps are the bandaids in the situation, not the other way around

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Adjustable gas blocks allow you to tune the proper amount of gas for your particular setup. Instead of a barrel maker having 1000 different port size options for the various configurations the end user has, it allows the end user to configure the rifle and adjust accordingly

Buffer spring and buffer weight swaps are the bandaids in the situation, not the other way around
    You have it completely backwards, if you are talking about durability.

It is fine for a hobby grade AR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have it completely backwards, if you are talking about durability.

It is fine for a hobby grade AR.
    Yes, "tuning" for minimum reciprocating mass at the bleeding edge of reliability is for hobby or competition guns. i was being a bit hyperbolic there. But what I'm trying to say is that you have to balance the system for an intended purpose and there is a point at which excess gas doesn't serve any useful function in even a military grade rifle. There are some barrels out there that are well known to have gas ports that are larger than they need to be even for "durability" so there are perfectly rational reasons to use AGBs in certain situation. I know we're talking about SBRs here where a heavy buffer and FA BCG is the norm for reliability in that system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends.... what do you have?
    It is not what I have, it is what it will do and that is my point. My AR cycles just fine, it has not had any sort of jam or misfire in at least 6 months. I use a two point sling. I use iron sights. I use a $140. drop in trigger, M4 dual heat shield hand guards, a Elzetta light mount under bayonet lug with a light.

But when I had trick hanguards, it overheated, I had to keep wiggling my hands around or put shields and gloves on, the expensive attachments for the handguard wiggled lose, the prism sight scope bit me in prone, I got snared in a fancy sling.

I am not trying to piss you off or be a wise ass, but at my more simple level and expectations, a more mil spec rifle seems to be a more reliable rifle. So I practice at doing the simple things as well as possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is not what I have, it is what it will do and that is my point. My AR cycles just fine, it has not had any sort of jam or misfire in at least 6 months. I use a two point sling. I use iron sights. I use a $140. drop in trigger, M4 dual heat shield hand guards, a Elzetta light mount under bayonet lug with a light.

But when I had trick hanguards, it overheated, I had to keep wiggling my hands around or put shields and gloves on, the expensive attachments for the handguard wiggled lose, the prism sight scope bit me in prone, I got snared in a fancy sling.

I am not trying to piss you off or be a wise ass, but at my more simple level and expectations, a more mil spec rifle seems to be a more reliable rifle. So I practice at doing the simple things as well as possible.
    You're actually living in the Golden Age of AR's in my opinion. Hobby grade AR's are better than ever, and the costs have only gone down... especially just prior to the pandemic.

If you're someone that goes to the range once a month a few times a year, you'll likely never have any problems with your AR. If you shoot several thousand rounds a month (I mean lets be honest, most people shoot very little if you average it out per month) you want a higher quality AR. The best analogy I've ever heard is if you bought a shirt from Kohls for $20 and a $100 Nordstrom shirt. Both shirts look the same, fit the same, and you likely won't notice a difference.... until you start washing it. The more often you wash it, the difference will be more apparent, as one will wear out faster than the other.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is what i thought. I see qhat you are saying and if it does what YOU want it to then it is good for you.

I prefer the maximum performance and versatility in mine. To get that i have to pay more. I understand that.

As an example, can you use yours with Night Vision equipment? That is a must for me, so i have to pay a a alot of $$$$ to get that.

That is all I am saying.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Yes, "tuning" for minimum reciprocating mass at the bleeding edge of reliability is for hobby or competition guns. i was being a bit hyperbolic there. But what I'm trying to say is that you have to balance the system for an intended purpose and there is a point at which excess gas doesn't serve any useful function in even a military grade rifle. There are some barrels out there that are well known to have gas ports that are larger than they need to be even for "durability" so there are perfectly rational reasons to use AGBs in certain situation. I know we're talking about SBRs here where a heavy buffer and FA BCG is the norm for reliability in that system.
    I absolutely agree with what you are saying. There are plenty of barrels out there that are way under and way over gassed. I stay away from them like i do a liberal with a anti gun agenda.

Hince the no need for an AGB commitment. With a good barrel it is not needed.