Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy $$$ Build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    I absolutely agree with what you are saying. There are plenty of barrels out there that are way under and way over gassed. I stay away from them like i do a liberal with a anti gun agenda.

Hince the no need for an AGB commitment. With a good barrel it is not needed.
    Well, when you put it that way I'm probably on the same page. I use AGBs a lot but most rifles probably don't "need" them, but I'd rather dial the gas back a click or two rather than adding heavier buffers or springs because I'm pretty comfortable that I won't be giving up any durability. I don't mind heavy buffers so much, but I really don't like using heavier springs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aragorn, talk to Clint at BRT about gas. He will let you know how his 12.5 is ported. He will tell you to make all the adjustments, when going suppresses and unsuppressed, by changing buffers rather than an adj gas block. He will also sell the barrel with the gas block pinned, if you buy from him and make that selection.

The new Hodge barrels have larger ports for running unsuppressed. I have an earlier version in which I have to run a light buffer for unsuppressed use. I am rarely unsuppressed though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Again

BRT barrel or even their brt reduced size gas port , gas tubes.. which I’m gonna try on one of mine. Nothing but rave reviews about them.

As I’m ocd and I’m beginning to tune all my crap for what I shoot and softest shooter I can make

Downloads
    Uploads
    About BRT...

I own one of his original Optimum 16’s and like it a lot. About reaching out to Clint, I emailed him a couple weeks ago about my exact proposed set up.

He never replied.

The increase muzzle velocity and special port location are what draw me to this option though. Really I think it’s between this and a Hodge now that they’re ported a little more open.

As for the buffer, I’m a huge fan of the JP SCS and already have one to use with this rifle, and that combined with flopping back and forth to/from suppressed is why I’m wanting an adjustable GB. Easy enough to open a few clicks if I ever run across weak ammo. All I ever buy is full on 5.56.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That is what i thought. I see qhat you are saying and if it does what YOU want it to then it is good for you.

I prefer the maximum performance and versatility in mine. To get that i have to pay more. I understand that.

As an example, can you use yours with Night Vision equipment? That is a must for me, so i have to pay a a alot of $$$$ to get that.

That is all I am saying.
    And I think night vision is a great example. If you are shuffling around in a parking lot at night, NV is wonderful, you never have to look down. But if you are in a deep forest with broken terrain, your magnified night vision is of no value and your unmagnified night vision is, what, good for 50 yards in reality? Night vision may be great for clearing houses but this is not Iraq. Nobody in their right mind would repeat all that. They would just announce that in 60 sec. we are burning down the building. So what is NV's worth? Give me a weapon light able to positively identify opposition at 200 yards. I think the world will soon go to LEP as opposed to LED weapons lights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The other responses I got were about the durability of shirts and shooting 3K a week. OK then. Where, what component, or what combination of components, is proven more reliable than mil spec? This is exactly my position. Once you achieve mil spec, from that point on, you are financing a vacation to Hawaii for somebody else.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Irons View Post
    The other responses I got were about the durability of shirts and shooting 3K a week. OK then. Where, what component, or what combination of components, is proven more reliable than mil spec? This is exactly my position. Once you achieve mil spec, from that point on, you are financing a vacation to Hawaii for somebody else.
    Don’t be a condescending dickhead. There are ways to phrase questions without having an attitude about it.

Carry on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the board.

If you want to start a thread on why you believe more than mil-spec is a waste of money, feel free to do so.

Otherwise, doing so in someone thread where they are looking for suggestions on a high end barrel is not appropriate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will concede that if you are shooting 3K a week, then a CHF barrel would be in order.

Downloads
    Uploads
    And I think night vision is a great example. If you are shuffling around in a parking lot at night, NV is wonderful, you never have to look down. But if you are in a deep forest with broken terrain, your magnified night vision is of no value and your unmagnified night vision is, what, good for 50 yards in reality?...So what is NV's worth? Give me a weapon light able to positively identify opposition at 200 yards.
    I think there is some basic misunderstanding on what NV can offer. There's plenty of value in NV, even in low-light situations such as increased visual acuity (20/40 vs 20/200), reduces the potential for counter-detection (depending on what's on the shootey side of the weapons system), and can allow you to both see and utilize a targeting system that doesn't require looking through multiple devices.

I don't shoot with NV, so I'm sure there's plenty of other examples, but I have used NVGs for my job for the last 20+ years and their value far surpasses their limitations, if it's an environment where such a thing is helpful (which certainly isn't always the case).

Downloads
    Uploads
    And I think night vision is a great example. If you are shuffling around in a parking lot at night, NV is wonderful, you never have to look down. But if you are in a deep forest with broken terrain, your magnified night vision is of no value and your unmagnified night vision is, what, good for 50 yards in reality? Night vision may be great for clearing houses but this is not Iraq. Nobody in their right mind would repeat all that. They would just announce that in 60 sec. we are burning down the building. So what is NV's worth? Give me a weapon light able to positively identify opposition at 200 yards. I think the world will soon go to LEP as opposed to LED weapons lights.

Have a great life. And please ever respond to me again.
    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Downloads
    Uploads
    On with out regularly scheduled programming...

The 13” forend is in the mail to be exchanged for a 10.5” version to accommodate the shorter barrel. Also heard from the laser engraver yesterday and I should be able to pick up my receivers with their new artwork early next week! Pics to follow once they’re in hand.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hehehe... Ah, you gotta love the commercials. This thread is about a specific build, with a specific purpose in mind. We work hard for our money and theres nothing wrong with spending some of it on something we really want. Whether its a car, gun, boat, motorcycle, hobby, stocks, investments etc,etc... If we choose to throw our money at something we like to do then well, it is what it is. Mil spec is a base line that was created so the guys that go out and defend our country dont have sh$t blowing up in their faces. Nothing wrong with mil spec, but the technology in the firearms industry has advanced exponentially over the last decade or so and taking advantage of it is not a bad thing. It all comes down to confidence. Confidence in the tool your using, if you are confident with an off the shelf mil spec rifle, thats great. If your not and would like to increase your individual confidence in the reliability and durability of your tool then take advantage of the latest technology. Its not an apples to apples comparison. Its like saying what does your BMW do that my chevy sonic doesnt do? They both get you from A to B dont they? Yes, they do but thats not the whole story... Carry on...
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    On with out regularly scheduled programming...

The 13” forend is in the mail to be exchanged for a 10.5” version to accommodate the shorter barrel. Also heard from the laser engraver yesterday and I should be able to pick up my receivers with their new artwork early next week! Pics to follow once they’re in hand.
    So which receiver set did you go with?
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brace Built MC6 Chassis, we talked about it on page one.

Though to be fair there were only links and no pictures and I know how y’all are.

Pics coming I promise!
    -One Nation, Under God