Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reliable full capacity mags for odd AR calibers is the big issue with me. I had 2 S&W 5.45x39 ARs I finally sold because no mag would feed a 28 rounder.

I jumped into 6.8 SPC when Magpul came out with a specific mag and they feed flawlessly. Unfortunately the only lowers for them are expensive LWRC and Sulzer (mine) which was sued out of business. I’m kind of surprised Magpul would develop a mag for just a single company. Maybe they got a piece of LWRC in the deal.

300BLK got me because Magpul and a specific (D&H?) metal mag both have zero problems. A local reloader sold me several thousand processed LC brass cheap which was also a factor. But I’ll likely expire before I shoot all my factory stuff. A young family reloader is going to like my will - mucho fixins’ for 4 calibers.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    As for some of the other things said here, in ways I kind of agree. That said there is a method to the madness so to speak.

Is 6ARC a reliader's cartridge? Yes absolutely, depending on how you use it. For anything in any caliber on any platform that for me would be somewhat true depending on the purpose of it that is.

Shooting anything long range, hand loading gives so much better results at a fraction of the cost compared to equivalent factory ammo. Junkie ammo is frustrating to try and shoot at any kind of distance.

For 300BLK it's 98% about cost. Reloading is way cheaper by a lot. The only downside to 300BLK is that you can't use just any old case to form brass. Some of them have wall thickness that is too much.

As for just forming brass, that part is very easy. The forming isn't bad. What sucks is the trimming, especially 300BLK. Fortunately when I do forming I do as much as possible and put the stuff I'm not using in storage. It's literally a once and done type of thing and then I will have enough brass for 5-10 years probably.

If I had to do all that every time I reload I probably wouldn't reload.

For me I save all my brass. I have a brass catcher so I rarely lose anything. 1K cases tends to last me a really long time.

In those contexts where reloading has the most value is in longer range and/or precision applications.

Just wanting to make bulk ammo to "save money" may or may not be true depending on what it is.

Specifically for 6ARC or literally any other cartridge that will be shot to 1K or beyond reloading can easily be the difference between success and failure. In that instance reloading is worth way more than just cost. Again it just depends on what you are doing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think we have different case users here, discussing this cartridge. No one is saying that it cannot perform.

However what we are saying and it's an undeniable fact, that both factory ammunition and component limited availability and lack of reliable magazines at 20 or above capacity, is what's hurting this cartridge.

And yes, you can save money when reloading for bulk. But not the way one think it would in the traditional sense. If someone say has limited fun money funds, they can buy a bit here, buy a bit there, and suddenly they have it all ready to make the ammunition meanwhile no bills went unpaid, there's still a roof over their heads, and they can still eat food and get gas for traveling.

I want this cartridge to take off. But Hornady needs to relinquish their precious to the masses to produce, and companies doing the same with components. I want bulk because if I am not training with this cartridge from simple drills to longer than 5.56 engagement ranges, with a big enough stash to sustain, then what's the point here because there isn't from where I stand.

Junk ammo that's brass cased is great for drills and great for brass harvesting. Hornady 308 in almost all flavorings of is pretty meh, but their brass is great in 130 TSX or TTSX. Just one such example. Another is M855 or M193 sourced from LC. Decent bulk ammo but when harvested they make for some really good brass for 77 SMK.

Just imagine a 12 inch mini recce with mid length gas SBR in 6 ARC with a reliable 25 round magazine. Lightweight LPVO like an ATACR 1-8 in night vision height, piggybacking an ACRO P2 for CQB and night vision passive aiming, and an RH25 clip on thermal in front. Cloud Defensive Rein 2.0 18350 tube, and whatever can of your choice in front. This would literally be the GOAT jack of all but master of none do all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not quite sure of your question. I have experimented with two bullets but that is mainly because of availability. The first ones I tried were 112 grain Barnes but I had mixed results accuracy wise.
    pikashow apk
    ppsspp gold apk

Downloads
    Uploads
    2024 AAC (Palmetto State Armory) will be manufacturing 6mm ARC ammo. From the horse's own mouth.

A cheaper alternative for training and practice ammo will come to fruition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
    2024 AAC (Palmetto State Armory) will be manufacturing 6mm ARC ammo. From the horse's own mouth.

A cheaper alternative for training and practice ammo will come to fruition.
    Link?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Link?

It was posted in TOS, under tech in the ammo section. Look for 6.5 Grendel in the header.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To me, high capacity equals shorter range shooting conditions, be it range, plinking, or defense. Well, do we need a round besides M855 or SS109 out of a 5.56 rifle to achieve that purpose? Longer range OTOH, equals precision, slower firing intervals, and usually higher cost per round. In shooting in all practical situations I've found that 20's work best (for me) in any situation simply because I don't just shoot sitting or standing. Since I shoot mostly on private land, I'm not confined to shooting lanes and will use anything to improve my firing position, be it a tree, the ground, or anything else helpful. I'm not competing or getting my war on, so YMMV, but I like the mid size mags the best for positioning off a bag or bipod.

I get shit for being anti-cork sniffer when it comes to rounds, but I'm not putting anybody's choices down, just stating what works best for me. I only piped in because of the issue with mag capacity. I don't see the need for a full 30-40 rounds of niche ammo, so educate me; what application makes having 5-10 more rounds expedient vs. swapping to a fresh 20-ish rounder?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    To me, high capacity equals shorter range shooting conditions, be it range, plinking, or defense. Well, do we need a round besides M855 or SS109 out of a 5.56 rifle to achieve that purpose? Longer range OTOH, equals precision, slower firing intervals, and usually higher cost per round. In shooting in all practical situations I've found that 20's work best (for me) in any situation simply because I don't just shoot sitting or standing. Since I shoot mostly on private land, I'm not confined to shooting lanes and will use anything to improve my firing position, be it a tree, the ground, or anything else helpful. I'm not competing or getting my war on, so YMMV, but I like the mid size mags the best for positioning off a bag or bipod.

I get shit for being anti-cork sniffer when it comes to rounds, but I'm not putting anybody's choices down, just stating what works best for me. I only piped in because of the issue with mag capacity. I don't see the need for a full 30-40 rounds of niche ammo, so educate me; what application makes having 5-10 more rounds expedient vs. swapping to a fresh 20-ish rounder?
    I agree with your assessment. That said, specifically with the 6 ARC, from what I understand, the Special Forces guys are using it in more of an SBRish setup. In that type of use case it definitely has a lot more performance and a lot more range than anything 5.56 could offer out of a similar sized setup. Outside of that scenario there is not much that is compelling about a 30 round mag for this particular cartridge.

While I have toyed with the idea of a 6 ARC SBR (and I still might do it later on at some point), in general though for my use I prefer shorter mags for prone or other shooting out of my rifle. For me, 6 ARC is a much cheaper option than a competitor round for similar performance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like 20 rounders (and 10s for .308) for all the comfy reasons stated. But I want every semi I leave my heirs to have the optional and optimal “war mode” of higher cap mags. The same logic applies to ammo. I can have both match and Geneva Convention-be-damned in my stockpile.

I’m not knocking niche guns. If I had more than probably single digit years left I’d have a bunch of them.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all subjective. If you were to read the AAR of the Tongo Tongo ambush, something in 6 ARC in a reasonable capacity would most likely have saved some lives and would have given La David Johnson more standoff range because he was alone, outgunned by support weapons, and could only suppress for so long. If you were to read some of the AAR's from battles such as COP Keating in Afghanistan, it would have given them a more effective edge at those taking potshots far out. In fact, one such soldier who was at Keating prior to that battle, took lessons learned there and when he rewrote then fixed the broken US Army's marksmanship and qualification programs, he used lessons learned from there mostly to do it with. Marines that were experiencing almost the same things, then began to follow form and rewrite their own programs too. But that's in the weeds.

For me, I am fine with just a 20 so long as it's reliable. But I'd also like a war stock of both ammo and higher capacity magazines that are just as reliable as a just in case. The odds of me having to need let alone use, almost nil. Haven't had to use a fire extinguisher yet, yet I will always have some available and current.

I too also shoot outdoors, and not on established ranges. I too also use boulders, rock formations, stumps, tree branches, trees themselves, and other barricade types. It's just a discussion over semantics though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great feedback, thanks guys. Love the fire extinguisher rationale. I will use that soon, I'm sure.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Starline will soon be (maybe is now) offering 6mm ARC brass.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    Starline will soon be (maybe is now) offering 6mm ARC brass.

I heard that too, but I could not find any official information about it. Do you have a link or know any kind of timeline?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of Starline... they are now taking backorders for the new 6 ARC brass.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/6mm-arc-brass