Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    anyone have a 458 Socom or similar build?

    im thinking of building up something in 458 Socom. a pretty basic setup with a tromix 14-16 pinned barrel. I like the idea that I can swap out the follower and turn a 30round USGI magazine into a 9-10 round 458 Socom only magazine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,482
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    A couple of guys here have 458 builds and like them. They certainly have a punch, and those hard cast bullets weigh a ton and pack a hell of a whallop. I toyed with the idea of building one myself, but I shoot my guns a lot, or I don't keep them. To do justice to owning a caliber like that, I would have to join the ranks of reloaders, and until recent events, ammo just hasn't cost enough to drive me to that end. That might be about to change! Every time there's a huge run on ammo, there's never a guarantee that prices will come back to "normal". So yeah, so far price has influenced me to avoid the .458 SOCOM round as an extravagance, while shooting as much as 3k rounds of 5.56 in a month because it has been so cheap. I know that doesn't help, but it does pay to really analyze why you want that caliber, and can you keep it properly fed, or will it become a safe queen, rarely coming out to spit a few rounds of awesomeness, or harvest some hogs? It's like optics; the rifle is the cheap part!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,796
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    A couple of guys here have 458 builds and like them. They certainly have a punch, and those hard cast bullets weigh a ton and pack a hell of a whallop. I toyed with the idea of building one myself, but I shoot my guns a lot, or I don't keep them. To do justice to owning a caliber like that, I would have to join the ranks of reloaders, and until recent events, ammo just hasn't cost enough to drive me to that end. That might be about to change! Every time there's a huge run on ammo, there's never a guarantee that prices will come back to "normal". So yeah, so far price has influenced me to avoid the .458 SOCOM round as an extravagance, while shooting as much as 3k rounds of 5.56 in a month because it has been so cheap. I know that doesn't help, but it does pay to really analyze why you want that caliber, and can you keep it properly fed, or will it become a safe queen, rarely coming out to spit a few rounds of awesomeness, or harvest some hogs? It's like optics; the rifle is the cheap part!
    Same here. I really thought about one, but after some serious sober reflection, I thought about what it would cost vs. how much I would actually use it. The things that I would use it for, maybe a pig hunt and possible deer hunt, I figured I could do with a bolt action rifle. Also the cost of ammo, since I no longer reload would be pretty costly, so I just dumped the whole idea.

    However, what seems like a bad idea for me might be a really good idea for the OP especially if he hunts in big bear country or alligator alley or he just might plain want one for the sake of having it, he'll just have to decide for himself, but if he's like me, I'd give it a thumbs down.

    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    i don't hunt. and don't have many places outside to shoot. so it'll mainly get shot maybe once a year. but the magazine issue alone would make it worth it to me i think.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    14,486
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I've always thought .458 SOCOM was cool in theory. Ammo costs, even those that roll their own make it pretty cost prohibitive. If you're going to shoot it once a year and know that it's a novelty for you, then yeah, the AR platform is great in that manner.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,174
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    A couple of guys here have 458 builds and like them. They certainly have a punch, and those hard cast bullets weigh a ton and pack a hell of a whallop. I toyed with the idea of building one myself, but I shoot my guns a lot, or I don't keep them. To do justice to owning a caliber like that, I would have to join the ranks of reloaders, and until recent events, ammo just hasn't cost enough to drive me to that end. That might be about to change! Every time there's a huge run on ammo, there's never a guarantee that prices will come back to "normal". So yeah, so far price has influenced me to avoid the .458 SOCOM round as an extravagance, while shooting as much as 3k rounds of 5.56 in a month because it has been so cheap. I know that doesn't help, but it does pay to really analyze why you want that caliber, and can you keep it properly fed, or will it become a safe queen, rarely coming out to spit a few rounds of awesomeness, or harvest some hogs? It's like optics; the rifle is the cheap part!
    +1

    I second all that was said. I AM a reloader and even in that caliber to reload is expensive. While I don't doubt it will be a hoot to shoot, but keeping the thing stocked on ammo is the hard part. It wouldn't take long to shoot up thousands of dollars worth of ammo in that monster.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I hear all the concerns with ammo prices but now I saw the v-seven 458 socom fluted barrel and im wondering if those concerns matter. hahaha. In my mind im picturing this build with a cmt-tac slick side upper. either a 16" v-seven fluted barrel and bolt carrier group and some pinned muzzle brake (maybe something similar to the Barrett 50 brake just to be over the top) or the tromix 14-16 pinned barrel/brake combo. and a noveske hybrid rail mlok in 13.5". normally I'd go with the 15" rail on a 16" barrel but maybe not on this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    14,486
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    If the ammo prices don't worry you, I say go for it. I'm sure you like many other people have enough AR's in 5.56. Nothing wrong with a fun, budget busting build!

    I'm starting to lean back to 13.5-14" handguards on 16-18" barrels on non-suppressed setups myself. I think it'll look good. Especially since you want your hand no where near that brake!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If the ammo prices don't worry you, I say go for it. I'm sure you like many other people have enough AR's in 5.56. Nothing wrong with a fun, budget busting build!

    I'm starting to lean back to 13.5-14" handguards on 16-18" barrels on non-suppressed setups myself. I think it'll look good. Especially since you want your hand no where near that brake!
    only 3 in 5.56. I know, I know. those are rookie numbers. ammo prices don't worry me, but they also don't make me happy. I don't reload so im looking at $2 a round give or take. but I doubt ill even go through 200 rounds a year. Hell, ill probably go through 100 rounds the first time I take it out and never shoot it again. I mostly just shoot handguns when I go to the range as there aren't any good outdoor ranges in NJ

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,796
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

    I'm starting to lean back to 13.5-14" handguards on 16-18" barrels on non-suppressed setups myself. I think it'll look good. Especially since you want your hand no where near that brake!
    Duh, I can attest to that.

    I was shooting my .308 in an indoor 100 yd. shooting range. My bipod collapsed (my fault, I modified it and had the "pressure plate" installed backwards). At the exact same time the barrel fell, my hand slipped forward, and for a second, I thought I'd blown it off.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Duh, I can attest to that.

    I was shooting my .308 in an indoor 100 yd. shooting range. My bipod collapsed (my fault, I modified it and had the "pressure plate" installed backwards). At the exact same time the barrel fell, my hand slipped forward, and for a second, I thought I'd blown it off.
    Now I’m second guessing my original plan of a 14” barrel with a linear comp inside a 15” rail. Just two inches or so of comp hanging out.

    Either way. First part ordered.
    http://www.jsesurplus.com/AR-15SBUBi...EXCLUSIVE.aspx

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    so I may have backed myself into a little of a corner. that stripped upper I mentioned one post above is huge. and it doesn't look great with the rounded lines of a mil-spec lower.

    so im looking for some suggestions on billet lowers that'll match up aesthetically with this upper a little better than a mil-spec lower.

    currently considering:

    aero precision m4e1 billet
    centurion arms billet
    radian ax556 (would really like to find something like this that isn't Ambi)

    and if I can find one I assume the best fit would be a mega gtr3-h
    Last edited by n4p226r; 31 July 2020 at 11:00.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,482
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If the ammo prices don't worry you, I say go for it. I'm sure you like many other people have enough AR's in 5.56. Nothing wrong with a fun, budget busting build!

    I'm starting to lean back to 13.5-14" handguards on 16-18" barrels on non-suppressed setups myself. I think it'll look good. Especially since you want your hand no where near that brake!
    A buddy and I put 140 rnds through my M5 .308 recently, switching off Shooter vs. Spotter roles to T&E the SIG BDX/Sierra combo. Sitting to shooter's right, outdoors, with only the blast off the MD (a Griffin Flashcomp, of course*) was miserable! Our spot had no place to get distance from, or above/behind the shooter. It was like getting knocked upside the head with a NYC phone book! I can't imagine doing that with .458!

    *I've never put a muzzle brake on a rifle of mine yet (.50 BMG!). The Flashcomp is no longer a true compensator; more of a hybrid brake design. Still looking for a v.1 Flashcomp, I might just go with something else.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    A buddy and I put 140 rnds through my M5 .308 recently, switching off Shooter vs. Spotter roles to T&E the SIG BDX/Sierra combo. Sitting to shooter's right, outdoors, with only the blast off the MD (a Griffin Flashcomp, of course*) was miserable! Our spot had no place to get distance from, or above/behind the shooter. It was like getting knocked upside the head with a NYC phone book! I can't imagine doing that with .458!

    *I've never put a muzzle brake on a rifle of mine yet (.50 BMG!). The Flashcomp is no longer a true compensator; more of a hybrid brake design. Still looking for a v.1 Flashcomp, I might just go with something else.
    even on 5.56 muzzle brakes can suck being behind and off to the sides. in NJ, we have to pin/weld a muzzle brake to be legal. flash hiders aren't allowed and threaded barrels aren't allowed. that's why I went with surefire Socom brakes and a surefire warden for when I shoot indoors or in close proximity to people.

    unfortunately, they don't have a warden or other manufacturers making anything similar for 458 Socom from what I can tell.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    So after going to a local FFL and seeing a Troy “other firearm” I think that might be the route I take with this one. I can’t own a SBR or An AR pistol so I’m stuck with a 12” barrel, pistol brace, and a vertical forward grip (probably a magpul). But then I can have it totally not neutered.

    These laws are so dumb.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •