Downloads
    Uploads

shorten a 16” mid length barrel

I have an extra 16” mid length 223 wylde barrel I’m considering have cut down to 12”, recrowned and threaded so i can run a suppresser.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this, how it worked and what to expect. Will the rifle function with properly with a mid length gas port? Did you enlarge the gas port? did you change the buffer, etc.

I’d like to find out what to expect before I have the barrel cut in two pieces.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A few people have tried to offer factory 12.5" Middy barrels. I still have a Rock Creek one from Rainier that runs suppressed. I'm not sure what the gas port is, but its enlarged for sure.

If you know a competent smith who is able to properly cut it down and open the gas port up, go for it. However, keep in mind there's a good reason not a lot of people are offering this configuration. It may or may not run reliably.

Downloads
    Uploads
    UWone77, thanks for your feedback. I tend to agree, short mid length barrels are certainly not common. I really don’t want to have a perfectly good barrel cut up as an experiment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Monty was offering a mid-length 12.5" recently, too. No info on how it runs, but I'm sure it's solid coming from him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 2 12.5” mid lengths. Love that setup. I only shoot them suppressed and have no issues. One has a A5 buffer system with A5H2 and a green sprinco rifle spring and the other has a Blue Springco carbine spring and a H2 buffer. One is a factory Triarc and one is a chopped White Oak.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I have 2 12.5” mid lengths. Love that setup. I only shoot them suppressed and have no issues. One has a A5 buffer system with A5H2 and a green sprinco rifle spring and the other has a Blue Springco carbine spring and a H2 buffer. One is a factory Triarc and one is a chopped White Oak.
    If you shoot them suppressed like SINNER, you'll likely get enough pressure to cycle. I mention in another thread that I cut down a couple of 14.5's to 10.3" and they run only when suppressed... which is fine because that's their dedicated job. I suppose it really depends what you hope to accomplish with this set up. I wouldn't trust funky gas ports/lengths for a Go-To gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    If you shoot them suppressed like SINNER, you'll likely get enough pressure to cycle. I mention in another thread that I cut down a couple of 14.5's to 10.3" and they run only when suppressed... which is fine because that's their dedicated job. I suppose it really depends what you hope to accomplish with this set up. I wouldn't trust funky gas ports/lengths for a Go-To gun.
    My intention is to run it suppressed, thank you the info.