Downloads
    Uploads

Light mount and control options

I am not really asking about the light itself but rather various options for mounting a light.

Here is my issue. On my 10.5 rifle I have an Arisaka offset mount with a momentary tail cap. I really like that setup. Everything is exactly where I need it and have basically grown into it more or less. I run a vertical fore grip on that rifle and on my 9" 300BLK.

The problem is on my 300BLK the hand guard is shorter and there isn't enough real estate to effectively mount mount a similar light setup in the same way.

Can you please show me some various (good quality) options to solve this? I am not at all opposed to mounting the light on the top or opposite side of the hand guard and maybe using some sort of wired pressure switch to be able to do momentary light discharges or whatever.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1” shorter rail makes it a problem? I don’t see how

I run a arisaka offset, but looking at the Modbutton to try out..once back in stock

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    1” shorter rail makes it a problem? I don’t see how

I run a arisaka offset, but looking at the Modbutton to try out..once back in stock
    Exact difference in total length of the hand guards is 1.4 inches. If I put the light back basically an inch and a half it's a bit wonky, unless I remove the VFG and all that. I could probably run one with a VFG and one without, but before I do that I want to explore options on the light controls.

The Arisaka mount is awesome. I would buy another in a heartbeat. But if I can flip it to the other side of the hand guard and find a different way to control the light, then problem solved and I can keep my VFG.

I will definitely check out the Modbutton. Never heard of it before.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just watched a short video on the Modbutton. It looks interesting for sure. With something like that I would probably get two of them and move both lights to the other side of both rifles. I have never used a constant on so that works great. I need to read up on those buttons some more though. I am guessing they are good to go. I also have to see what kind of lights they work with. If they are compatible with the type I have now that would be great. I could order a light and a mount at the same time from Will and be on my way.

Any other similar options or no?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Just watched a short video on the Modbutton. It looks interesting for sure. With something like that I would probably get two of them and move both lights to the other side of both rifles. I have never used a constant on so that works great. I need to read up on those buttons some more though. I am guessing they are good to go. I also have to see what kind of lights they work with. If they are compatible with the type I have now that would be great. I could order a light and a mount at the same time from Will and be on my way.

Any other similar options or no?
    With a short rail, you might want to consider / experiment with running a forward finger stop instead of a VFG. I run my MPX SBR this way with an Arisaka in-line mount and using the tail cap switch on a Streamlight 1 (the short one) and it works pretty well. I tried running a pressure pad for the light on the top rail but the handguard is so compressed it was awkward for me to use but the tail cap was quite natural.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve been having this same problem while reconfiguring my .300

Probably going to end up with a 10.3” barrel and a 9.7” SLR forend just to buy more rail space. I have a Unity Tactical Hot Button on another rifle and love it. I’m setting up to be able to use one again on the .300 in lieu of other options, or just in case none of them pan out. Seriously though, check out the Unity Tactical Hot Button.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    With a short rail, you might want to consider / experiment with running a forward finger stop instead of a VFG. I run my MPX SBR this way with an Arisaka in-line mount and using the tail cap switch on a Streamlight 1 (the short one) and it works pretty well. I tried running a pressure pad for the light on the top rail but the handguard is so compressed it was awkward for me to use but the tail cap was quite natural.
    I have a finger stop somewhere already (I think it's from SLR) but as you all know I am fairly scientific about things to a degree. This basically makes me only want to modify one thing at a time until I get the desired results (that of course depends on a lot of other things though). Of course I am not opposed to trying new things at all. As it sits now, on my 300BLK when I use the grip I normally use without any modification my thumb sits right on the second to last cut out towards the end of my hand guard and my hand puts rearward pressure into my shoulder pocket.

Trying to eyeball things based on the video below, that would give me a near perfect placement if I were go with the Modlite. If I need to ultimately move my VFG back half a space or whatever that's not a problem at all. Little tweaks are not as big of a deal so to speak. With my 5.56 SBR I can move my thumb to the light or just roll with my thumb on or near the light all the time as the situation dictates. The Modlite would alter things a bit but that could be a good thing, especially since I am still a relative noob. I will take it where I can get it basically.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    I’ve been having this same problem while reconfiguring my .300

Probably going to end up with a 10.3” barrel and a 9.7” SLR forend just to buy more rail space. I have a Unity Tactical Hot Button on another rifle and love it. I’m setting up to be able to use one again on the .300 in lieu of other options, or just in case none of them pan out. Seriously though, check out the Unity Tactical Hot Button.
    I will definitely check them out too. I like to measure twice (or more) and cut once so to speak...

Another thing I saw from Unity Tactical is the Fusion Lightwing Adapter. Are you familiar with that?

"ModButton is compatible with the Unity FUSION LightWing adapter which is designed to extend the light out to clear lasers or help push the light out in order to help reduce or eliminate shadow from suppressors."

https://milspecretail.com/product/fi...entary-switch/

Depending on how far out it can push the light that might be very interesting as well as I tend to just leave a can on all the time and at night the shadow from the suppressor is pretty prevalent. I don't have all that other stuff on the front of my rifle but a mount that could extend the light forward could be an interesting concept for sure. That said I am not sure how much difference it really does make though. It might not be worth it at all. Maybe somebody here knows...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know it's a little bit of a different topic but it's along the same lines. I found this picture of the lightwing adapter. I use this kind of light and based on an educated guess if I were to adopt this system in that exact setup it would put the bezzle of my light about 3.5 inches behind the very end of my 30cal suppressor (vs almost almost 8 inches behind). I am pretty sure that would significantly decrease the ghosting effect. On my 5.56 it would be roughly 2-2.5 inches behind the muzzle of the can.

Any thoughts on this as well would be appreciated.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  110.5 KB