Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bipods

Downloads
    Uploads

Bipods

I’m on the market for a bipod. 5.56 AR platform. I don’t feel like I need anything crazy as I’m not a sniper or hunting in the mountains. I more concerned about something rapidly deployable and that doesn’t bounce. My only experience was years ago with a Harris and I remember it jumping off the table every time I pulled the trigger. I want something that doesn’t do this.

What should I be looking at? What do you guys like? Are there other factors I should be considering?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Magpul bipods don’t have the annoying springy twaaaaang the Harris does when fired on anything but a .22lr.

I modified one of mine to deploy at 45* angles like an Atlas...would be easy for them to do it from the factory IMO.

Accutac Bipods are solid from what I’ve seen but I hate the way they look (I know I know function over fashion but dang. Reminds me of an early YHM flash hider or something)

Then there’s always Atlas. Can’t go wrong there unless you’re on a budget

Downloads
    Uploads
    One feature that I didn't consider at first but ultimately comes in very handy is having independently adjustable legs.

If you are shooting from uneven surfaces you can adjust one leg up or down or front to back to get where you need to be at.

I've tried a number of junky bipods which all of them wound up in the trash. I bought them thinking that 'I don't want to go over board on something like a bipod', but then the guys here steered me to something good and it's now one of my most used things.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Something to keep i mind is that when a bipod jumps (which really means the rifle is jumping), it's due to how the shooter has mounted the gun (coupled with caliber, of course). If you're shooting something that has enough recoil impulse to push back (ie, not a 22LR), that energy has to go somewhere. If you're not fully behind the gun (regardless of position), some of that energy is going to be imparted into the gun to make it "hop." While this is less likely in dirt and more likely on a hard surface, since the feet can't "dig" into anything, the overall issue still exists, regardless of surface.

As for bipods, I know Former11B has complained about the Harris twanging before. Personally I don't really notice it unless I'm deploying the legs, and even then, it doesn't bother me. But that's of course up to the shooter to determine. I find a Harris coupled with an Arisaka mount and a Pod-Loc to be a great option. I like to add some pointy feet too, but that's me.

I have an Atlas, and I get why it gained popularity when it came out. Mine has always had the problem of never being tight enough for tilt, but I think it was Will who said that was fixed in later models. Having the 45 degree position is nice. I do find it not as quick to deploy as a Harris, but it does deploy more quietly if that's a concern (which I understand could be).

I'll defer to Former11B on the Magpuls. I haven't used one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For casual bench shooting, I think the Magpuls are fine. I usually just use a bag though instead of a bipod.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Atlas or Knights hands down. Buy once, cry once.

Magpul are shitty toys.
    Bobro’s are a overpriced novelty.
    Broken 3 GG&G’s.
    Accu-Tac’s open notch legs are trash magnets.
    Harris are the best cheap date but they rust and make noise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Atlas or Knights hands down. Buy once, cry once.

Magpul are shitty toys.
    Bobro’s are a overpriced novelty.
    Broken 3 GG&G’s.
    Accu-Tac’s open notch legs are trash magnets.
    Harris are the best cheap date but they rust and make noise.

Lol

I like my Harris, but played with a Atlas recently at a shop. Now I need one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a couple of Harris, and one Atlas. The Harris "noise' has never bothered me, but I've never used it in a situation where that would be a factor. The Harris' are now in the spares box, and I only use the Atlas. Really like it.

Name:  IMG_2913 Ascend Build Group.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  1.51 MB
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’ve run Harris and Magpul’s relatively hard in a combination of hunting and competition shooting.

Magpul has held up. I just wish there was a shorter leg version so the initial length was maybe 1-1.5” shorter. I’ve never run this particular model fully extended but I have foregone the bipod on occasion for a rest/bag because I could get lower

Harris leg drags really badly on one side and I even tried putting tape on the spring to dampen the harmonics. This is on a longer mlok rail/Free floating barrel So I don’t know if some additional vibration is transferred to it that’s not normal

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like my Atlas. I’ve never needed to deploy more quickly that that. I also like a tripod setup. Depends what you want to do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A whole lot of talk about the Atlas. That’s probably a hint. I started web perusing it and the KAC. Also the KFS Sierra 7 but geez that thing is like two pounds.

Price isn’t so much a factor so much as doing it right the first time.

Bags are historically what I’ve used when I’ve been on a bench, but I’m wanting to expand my horizons. Plus it makes sense for a Recce/Mini-SASS.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Atlas all the way. That's what I bought and I am glad I did.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I’ve run Harris and Magpul’s relatively hard in a combination of hunting and competition shooting.

Harris leg drags really badly on one side and I even tried putting tape on the spring to dampen the harmonics. This is on a longer mlok rail/Free floating barrel So I don’t know if some additional vibration is transferred to it that’s not normal
    I meant to add earlier, that when running my Harris in competitions, at least one of the legs would deploy when on a barricade. The button would go up against the vertical surface of the barricade and out shoots the leg. Annoying at times.

I haven't had leg dragging issues, although maybe I don't understand what you mean. Mine all deploy very quick.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Mine all deploy very quick.
    To me this is the one alluring bit about the Harris. How fast it deploys. Sounds handy when prone-ing (proning?) out. Unless you just leave the others deployed when you think you may use it. Shoot and move kinda stuff.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Atlas FTW!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!