Downloads
    Uploads

5.45 AR problem fixed (Maybe)

I bought a couple of S&W 5.45 uppers back when the 7N6 was banned. Never could get to run so moved on a couple of years ago. Revisiting I realized the ASC mags may be the issue. They bind so much it takes a tool to strip them out. Upon inspection it looked like the friction was mostly at the shoulder - blue tape arrow. See scratches on case. A little dremel and now they strip byhand only a little harder than 5.56. I think I can take a bit more off if needed, but will won’t if this much functions. Wish me luck. Next week looks dry so will report back when tested.

The old M7 bayonet doesn’t fit correctly, but looks good.

“ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    If that doesn't work, you can make everything work with some Gen2 Windowed PMAGs. I have three modified to work with 5.45, and they work very well. I didn't have much luck with the ASC mags I bought.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I’m sure I have some new gen2 windows in the cache.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads

Non-update

I have not forgotten and will report results when able. Guns have taken a back seat lately due to family stuff and nasty illness. Beginning week three with lung congestion finally getting better. At least the fever and aches are over. I hope it is the wuflu, but the testing has so many false pos & negs I see no point in getting one.

Still upbeat as always. Even parts of sick days are a blessing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Final update

I took the AR to the range yesterday. It did function a little better with modded pmags, but still too many failures. It looks like the rounds are scraping the edge of the feed ramp. I think I read that folks have had success honing the ramp, but don’t want to mess with it any more. I am getting out of 5.45 completely. At least I should make out selling the 5K 7n6 after the election.

Not a total wasted trip as I got my AKM sighted in quickly - MRO on the new Ultimak rail. Love this gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I get you may be past this point, but doing this mod solved 99% of my issues:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Mo...=bottom#bottom

Getting the follower to tilt fixed that feed ramp problem, so you have to defeat the anti-tilt function of the PMag. Vuurwappen actually had some followers manufactured to address the issue, but they were a one off and unfortunately never got made again.

I recently had one of my 5.45 mags die on me (the round was getting jammed into the front of mag, causing a divot, which eventually punched through and made the issue worse). All I had to do was move the modified follower over to a new Gen 2 Pmag and I was up and running again.

While I have plenty of 5.56 right now, I've just been making my 5.45 gun my main practice gun to conserve.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is the thread I used to mod mine. But, yeah, I’m tired of dealing with this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    That is the thread I used to mod mine. But, yeah, I’m tired of dealing with this.
    My apologies. I thought you were just modding the feed lips, but I lost track of where you were in the process. Out of curiosity, does the S&W have feed lips? My Spikes does, and I'd imagine the S&W does as well to make it work right.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The fed lips were on the ASC metal mags. I went with the pmag mod instead. It’s the feed ramp of the S&W chamber that I think needs to be honed down a little. But it’s finis for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you tell I just got off working nights for the last 7 days? I meant feed ramps, not "lips." Time for bed.