Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detached Shop

Downloads
    Uploads

Detached Shop

Any of you guys out there ever build a shop or already have one?

Just kicking around some plans for the future, so if you have any pictures, I'd love to see them!

Downloads
    Uploads
    My parents just moved into a new house in AZ and it came with a workshop (and storage) under the house. My dad has turned it into his workshop/woodworking place. The doors in the corner lead to storage under the house in the pic. And no, I don't know what those lines are in the pics. I guess my phone was being weird.

The pictures were taken from opposite corners to give you an idea of layout.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I am in the planning stage myself. Looking at a 30x40 but probably going with a slightly smaller 26x34. with 10ft walls and a 4/12 pitch. And itll be a bolt kit. When I get more time I'll post up a floor plan. Just the building is about $7k to $7500

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off." -Big Jake

"All the Gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you." -Joseph Campbell

Instagram- @tomcheaney9

Downloads
    Uploads
    Follow Morton Buildings on IG when you’re ready to dream. Hope to have something similar one day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely.

If you let us know more details about the space and what it will be used for that will help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Follow Morton Buildings on IG when you’re ready to dream. Hope to have something similar one day.
    Heh, somehow I figured you'd know where the good high end stuff was

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Definitely.

If you let us know more details about the space and what it will be used for that will help.
    Nothing crazy, probably store a couple of cars, additional storage, keeping tools. At some point I may get an FFL and run a small office out of it. I'd like to get a loft, in case I ever have to build living quarters out of. Just kind of spitballing here. Nothing is set in stone, which is why I'm just looking at some existing setups.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Nothing crazy, probably store a couple of cars, additional storage, keeping tools. At some point I may get an FFL and run a small office out of it. I'd like to get a loft, in case I ever have to build living quarters out of. Just kind of spitballing here. Nothing is set in stone, which is why I'm just looking at some existing setups.
    Everybody has something like that here, particularly in the country. I've been in a bunch of them ranging from being set up for welding onto auto repair. One guy is a big hunter and he set one up for meat processing. Another guy had a full on gunsmith shop at his house.

Basically what you are doing will determine how much power/ventilation/water or whatever you might need.

One thing they have in common though is all are metal buildings. They are very very diverse in what you can do or lay them out as.

If you go to YouTube and watch Texas Barndominiums and some of the recent episodes of Off the Ranch (Demo Ranch other channel).

They can build them as nice or as rough as you like. On some of those episodes they are building homes but the overall construction is kind of the same with more or less amenities as is required.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Originally 36x40 because that was the county limit. Then I put on a 10x34 addition. Setting that up now as a storage place for a skid steer and 3 dog kennels. I’ll get some interior pics tomorrow. Hydronic subfloor heat, full bath and 4 Mitsubishi mini split A/C’s.

Name:  8B19094E-4497-4AD9-9990-A04FE9A29DFF.jpeg
Views: 75
Size:  2.52 MB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Oh geez. Obviously I misunderstood. I was going off the construction picture you posted earlier. You were talking much larger than I was imagining.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whatever you do, don’t underestimate your electrical needs. Wire in 220v, and at least a 400 Amp panel. Welders, air compressors, lathes, mills, etc. quickly kill a 200a res panel, before HVAC. and the good tools don’t run on 110v.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m going to disagree with needing 400A service to a home shop. I have a 400A feeding my home and a 200A off it to the shop. I’ve never came close to maxing out the service. My welder alone will pull around 100A hitting it hard but it’s rare to ever run multiple appliances at the same time. Even with my oven on and running the compressor I’ve never had an issue. My biggest issue is the infrastructure anyway. Our power is pretty inconsistent in regards to voltage. Often dropping to around 200V. Plays hell with the frequency drives I’m using to run 3 phase motors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of my tools are 240V. Mill and compressor are 3 phase.

Name:  29D1D289-7BC3-4269-B0F5-919115A41D43.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  830.5 KB

Name:  8A73B196-30CE-4813-B58C-51AED6A014A5.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  2.02 MB

Name:  6878B3B8-4F31-4326-9EA5-DFF150A279BF.jpeg
Views: 69
Size:  809.3 KB

Downloads
    Uploads
    SINNER,

No paved driveway to the shop ? Not keeping cars in it, so not worth it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    After living the last decade and a half on gravel, I will always have paving of some kind in the future leading up to garages of any kind.