Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for first AK

So I think I finally need an AK. I don’t really own much other than a few ARs and would like another caliber. At times when ammo is cheap and easy to find you can get AK ammo. And right now when ammo isn’t cheap or easy to find, it seems you can still get AK ammo.

But I also live in NJ so here is how it has to be neutered.

No folding or telescopic stock
    No bayonet lug.
    No threaded barrel or flash hider
    Pinned muzzle brake.

This usually leaves me looking for 14.5” ARs since most places will pin those. So looking for a pinned AK and I found this.

https://meridiandefensecorp.com/apoc...tilence-rifle/

Now I get that the battle worn look might not be for everyone, and normally it’s not for me, but I kinda like it there. Also their marketing doesn’t do much for me. But the front end is pretty much what I want.

I like the traditional wood furniture. I want the rail’d gas tube for a red dot. And greatly prefer the front sight gas block vs the two separate units

So my original plan was a Arsenal but after compliance work it’s probably the same price. PSA is cheaper, but I’ve had mixed results with quality in my experience on their AR parts.

What else should I look for. This is built off a Romanian kit. If that makes a difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am no AK expert. Paging.... Pyzik.

BUT... I've been eye balling those Meridian Defense AK's forever. I want a 11.5" version. I've heard nothing but great things about them. Obviously, the big downfall is the price. Literally, KAC SR15 money for an AK. I know purists would have a Heart Attack at some of those prices. They've also been hard to come by even before the pandemic buying started.

Downloads
    Uploads
    yea. they do get pricey, but the one I am looking at is only $500 more than an arsenal and $700 or so more than a palmetto state armory. and neither of those offer the front end that I prefer.

also the 11.5" that is SR15 money is the one on the sharps milled lower isn't it? I can't own a Pistol over 50oz unless its >26" and has a vertical forward grip so I don't think that would be long enough for NJ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pyzik....paging Pyzik......

I couldn't wait anymore so I went ahead and ordered it. now the 20 week wait

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whoops. I've been busy lately. I don't think I've been on a forum (any forum) in weeks if not months.

Meridian builds great rifles. My only (slight) bummer at that price is the nitride barrel rather than a CHF. But my nearly $3k rifle also has a nitride barrel in it so, I'm really not whining too much.

I'm not a huge fan of the railed gas tube but it does work. Good news, you still have a side mount if you ever wanted to go with a side mounted optic, RS Regulate.

I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. They're worth the wait. As painful as it can be.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    And for the record those are some my favorite of their builds. I do very much like the battle worn look.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Whoops. I've been busy lately. I don't think I've been on a forum (any forum) in weeks if not months.

Meridian builds great rifles. My only (slight) bummer at that price is the nitride barrel rather than a CHF. But my nearly $3k rifle also has a nitride barrel in it so, I'm really not whining too much.

I'm not a huge fan of the railed gas tube but it does work. Good news, you still have a side mount if you ever wanted to go with a side mounted optic, RS Regulate.

I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. They're worth the wait. As painful as it can be.

Thanks. I would probably go with the same rifle but with the side folder if I could but I can’t fold it in NJ so not worth the up charge.

I’m amazed at how polarizing the AK stuff is. I’ve had people tell me since it’s a Romanian parts kit build it’s not as good as a PSA and also that I overpaid and should have gotten a milled arsenal even though that would have been even more expensive once I made it NJ legal which this is out of the box.

What’s your $3k setup like?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by n4p226r View Post
    Thanks. I would probably go with the same rifle but with the side folder if I could but I can’t fold it in NJ so not worth the up charge.

I’m amazed at how polarizing the AK stuff is. I’ve had people tell me since it’s a Romanian parts kit build it’s not as good as a PSA and also that I overpaid and should have gotten a milled arsenal even though that would have been even more expensive once I made it NJ legal which this is out of the box.

What’s your $3k setup like?
    Mine is a Romy kit build too.... My build (by KM3) is below.

Yours, like mine, was from a Romy kit (probably a G), not a wasr. Two different animals.
    Eastern/Combloc military rifles are great.
    Yours is built on good parts by a good builder.

I prefer a stamped over a milled. Besides, Arsenals have had their issues too....

As far as a folder goes, if you ever move you can simply add one.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pyzik; 16 October 2020 at 19:32.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow. That thing is crazy looking.