Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Handgun Upgrades

I am becoming tempted to try out an RDS on my pistol so I am wondering other people's experience with it. Whether that be with just RDS (on pistols) in general or specific things to the product(s) I am considering please share.

Keep in mind that (for me) this is at a minimum of a $300 'experiment' just to see if I like it or not. Hence I am trying to put some more thought into it before I go all in.

My carry pistol is a Sig 365XL so it already has an optic cut. Thank goodness I don't have to think about getting it cut etc.

The first optic that I am considering is the Holosun 507K. From what I gather this optic fits my gun no problem. No conversion plate needed.

The second one I am considering is the new Trijicon CC model. That's the one that I REALLY want but it's more than twice the cost. The guys at Maple Leaf Firearms confirmed that soon they will have a plate to make that conversion. I am not sure if having the optic slightly higher to the bore will make any difference or not.

This general overall subject is the main area of discussion that I am asking for.

That said I do have another angle to throw into the mix.

For a long time I have wanted a good light for my carry pistol. The new Surefire XSC is definitely my number one choice. They don't have very many holsters yet for my gun/light combo so this is a secondary thing (for now).

That said how do handgun RDS interact with weapons lights? I know many of the RDS have an auto function so if that is say under my shirt and auto adjusts to think it's night time how quickly will it react to being drawn in the day time (waking up and adjusting both)? I am asking a rather technical question in the context of how something similar (flipping on a weapons light) might impact dot visibility or acquisition.

Overall though, for those of you that shoot red dot handguns how do you like it and what advice would you give just in general to adapting to a red dot having never used one before? Is there any kind of significant advantage to it in your view?

All in all if I consider the light, a new holster, and the Trijicon optic, I am well over $1000 bucks in which is a lot more than I paid for the gun to start with...so big picture I am measuring before I cut.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 4 October 2020 at 12:00.