Thread: Laser Question

Downloads
    Uploads

Laser Question

I'm looking to put a laser on one or two of my HK USP Compacts. Questions are A), how far out from the target is the laser effective, and B), I see red and green lasers, any practical difference between them?

Thanks
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have used lasers ever since I started pistol shooting, so I like to think I have some experience with them.

Effective distance is dictated by lighting conditions, target size, target contrast, and how well you know your offset for your zero and laser. FWIW, I've been able to easily engage a reduced sized IPSC steel at 25 yards with my laser at night before (X400UH-A-GN zeroed for 25 yards), though I would debate taking long range shots based purely off of an eye-safe visible laser in any practical scenario.

Green is significantly easier to pick up, particularly during the day, and is worth the extra cost, IMO, assuming it is a proper green laser rather than a unit that uses frequency doubling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I toyed with lasers before and the answer is it depends. If it's really bright outside it's really hard to detect. That also depends on the specific surface it's hitting too.

If you are inside your house and want to light up a guy dressed like a ninja it would be ok. If he was wearing a red flannel shirt though not so much.

They are also very prone to being affected by fog or other weather related stuff.

If anything is in between you and your target it is not ideal. I small tree branch or some leaves or whatever makes it less than ideal to me.

I personally shelved the laser idea permanently but that's just me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I have used lasers ever since I started pistol shooting, so I like to think I have some experience with them.

Effective distance is dictated by lighting conditions, target size, target contrast, and how well you know your offset for your zero and laser. FWIW, I've been able to easily engage a reduced sized IPSC steel at 25 yards with my laser at night before (X400UH-A-GN zeroed for 25 yards), though I would debate taking long range shots based purely off of an eye-safe visible laser in any practical scenario.

Green is significantly easier to pick up, particularly during the day, and is worth the extra cost, IMO, assuming it is a proper green laser rather than a unit that uses frequency doubling.
    Well, it's 1 vote yes and 1 no. Do you know of a company that sells "green" lasers that will clamp to the rail under my HK?
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Well, it's 1 vote yes and 1 no. Do you know of a company that sells "green" lasers that will clamp to the rail under my HK?
    Actually I wouldn't categorize it that way... at least not entirely. I think Default is right on. I don't disagree with him at all. At 25 yards you should be fine but yes it depends on the lighting conditions and what kind of surface you are hitting with it. And like I said, things like fog mess with it as well.

For me I just didn't care for it that much. A lot of it has to do with my environment being primarily rural combined with not really finding anything that really turned me on laser wise. I pretty much came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me but because it's not for me doesn't mean others can't find better uses than I did.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT,

I think a RMR or red dot would suit you better for a pistol than a laser. That is if you're thinking that a laser will assist you with hitting the target. I find lasers at home on rifles more than handguns.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a laser and an RDS on my handguns; I find them to be complementary, rather than competing against each other. The laser is faster at closer ranges against large targets, as it allows you to be much sloppier with the draw and get on the trigger earlier; it's also useful as an index point for when you're shooting from unorthodox positions where your index isn't as strong and you may have to hunt for the dot on the RDS. Shooting on the move can be done easier with a laser, too, compared to an RDS (which is already far superior to irons in that regard). It also pulls double duty as secondary or tertiary back-up sights, depending on the lighting condition.

I'm not aware of any highly reputable lasers that go right onto the USP Compact rail; you will likely need to purchase a rail adapter. Beyond that, there is a question of budget and intended use. I personally find the offset on the SureFire X400 series to be annoying, but not a deal killer, and still perfectly serviceable for my uses; others disagree. However, the large combo units from SureFire and Streamlight are quite large, bulky, and expensive, while also requiring a rail adapter, and will be difficult to find holsters for (though the holster situation will likely persist for any combination). I personally think the X400 series is the way to go, due to SureFire's build quality, the addition of the white light, and the switchology (SureFire has DG switches for the USP Compact, and I am personally a huge fan of the DG switch for my personal needs). The Streamlight TLR-8 would be a smaller combo unit that could be of interest, but would still need a rail adapter. I personally would pass on the older Streamlights that could direct mount to a USP Compact, just due to them being outdated, and would rather put up with the rail adapter.

If you're willing to take chances, Olight I believe have some light/laser combos that might have the ability to direct mount to the USP Compact, due to the adjustable rail mount they use. I would also venture a peek at the Holosun laser only units; with the way they've upped their game, I would be willing to try them out over CrimsonTrace, which I have not heard much praise for. I would also pass on Viridian.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 9 November 2020 at 06:13.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    FT,

I think a RMR or red dot would suit you better for a pistol than a laser. That is if you're thinking that a laser will assist you with hitting the target. I find lasers at home on rifles more than handguns.
    Thanks to all. You may have just kept me from flushing money down the commode. I'll just stick with night sights.
    Later,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    Thanks to all. You may have just kept me from flushing money down the commode. I'll just stick with night sights.
    Later,
    FT
    Actually I am with UW 110% on this. Go with an RDS if you have the option.