I am always in search of knowledge and this topic popped into my head. Previously on a thread a long time ago someone pointed out that with a flashlight you can illuminate without drawing your weapon, which is obviously a good thing in non threatening situations.

I also know that people 'can' use a flashlight to do room clearing or whatever other tactical thing you can think up.

I am however wondering what the advantages are of a dedicated weapons mounted light (specifically on a handgun) vs just carrying a flashlight along with your weapon and foregoing a WML.

Pros of the two piece theory are way more flexibility in non threatening situations, but on the other hand what are the pros for a dedicated weapons light specifically in the context of every day carry?

I would think that a WML is obviously faster. Also the risk of dropping it or losing control of your weapon is a much bigger deal than just a flashlight. Basically you got one thing to keep track of and that's it.

I will probably wind up carrying both but I'm curious if anyone else has thoughts on this?