Downloads
    Uploads

Upland Game Hunters

A bit unusual for this forum but:

I booked a pheasant, quail, and other various bird hunts and have always done things the same.

Here's my question. I'm going to use 6's for pheasant (close shots) and 4's for a second shot if I get one at distance. What I normally do is put the 6's in to top barrel and the 4's in the bottom. My new shotgun has the switch to let me choose which barrel fires first. People are giving me all kinds of advice as to what to do, but a lot of them just like to hear themselves talk.

My plan is to use 6's in top and 4's in the bottom like always. On the top I use a modified choke and for a longer shot with the 4's, put a full in the bottom barrel. My rational is I want to turn a bird into McNuggets with 4's on the first shot with a full choke. For the quail and smaller birds 8's and 6's top to bottom.

Any bird hunters out there want to throw any advice out there, or should I just stay home, keep warm, drink beer and buy a bucket of KFC.

FT

I have a 20 O/U but don't like it for pheasant. Especially for longer shots. In my Baretta semi I just use a modified choke and load it two shells at a time, a 6 first then a 4 for a follow up.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Into McNuggets..lol

I’m no help..as never been bird hunting. Seems like a blast. I just don’t eat bird or chicken ..yuk...lol
    So never went.

I’m more into stalking Bambi or Bigfoot..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Into McNuggets..lol

I’m no help..as never been bird hunting. Seems like a blast. I just don’t eat bird or chicken ..yuk...lol
    So never went.

I’m more into stalking Bambi or Bigfoot..

Yeah, it's a bit of an acquired taste, but it's one of the cleanest and mellow meat there is. But if you don't eat any bird, I'm quite sure you wouldn't like it. But getting up in the morning and wrapping quail breast around 1/4 slices of peach, apple or pair, topped with brown sugger butter is an eye opener, with a truly old school brewing pot, jucst can't be beat!I don't like "strong" such as posrk liver at all, but I can suck down a half pound of beef liver is dead, in my eyes.

FT

PS. Now that UW told me I'm one of the two most loathed members on the board, well how and the hell can I top that?
    Last edited by FortTom; 3 December 2020 at 01:43.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you are overthinking it. #5’s with modified chokes in both barrels. I actually use a semi more than a O/U. #5’s and a modified. Unless hunting around water and forced to use tungsten then I’ll go to a #4 shell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only been Pheasant hunting a couple times, but I remember trying to find all those tiny bits of #8 shot inside the meat was a real pain in the ass. I'd probably go #4 next time just for the ease of processing. I think Pheasant is super tasty, btw! Do you have a trained dog? Or a friend with one? Makes it so much easier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MoxyDave View Post
    I've only been Pheasant hunting a couple times, but I remember trying to find all those tiny bits of #8 shot inside the meat was a real pain in the ass. I'd probably go #4 next time just for the ease of processing. I think Pheasant is super tasty, btw! Do you have a trained dog? Or a friend with one? Makes it so much easier.
    Nah, would like too, but not practical. Usually go with guides, and they prefer to use their own dogs anyway.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I think you are overthinking it. #5’s with modified chokes in both barrels. I actually use a semi more than a O/U. #5’s and a modified. Unless hunting around water and forced to use tungsten then I’ll go to a #4 shell.
    Yeah, you might be right. I'm going to try to get a little time on a friends and and pattern it a 15 yards and 30 yards and see what happens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FT, the only thing that comes to mind is ... for smaller birds (dove quail) 7 1/2 and 8 are plenty, even for the long shots. I personally like the pattern density of the smaller shot for those birds (fewer holes in the pattern for them to fly through).
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    FT, the only thing that comes to mind is ... for smaller birds (dove quail) 7 1/2 and 8 are plenty, even for the long shots. I personally like the pattern density of the smaller shot for those birds (fewer holes in the pattern for them to fly through).
    What chokes do you use for A: Normal shot, B: Long Shots. I've always used MOD for short shots and FULL for long shots. I forgot to use a caveat. I'm not the best wing shooter in the world, or sometimes not even in our group on the field.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger