Downloads
    Uploads

Upper Builder reccomendations

I'm getting lazy in my old age, and am looking for a new upper. I've built all of my own, except for a Colt and a couple of completed rifles. My wants are simple. I want a top notch upper, chrome lined barrel and a HB 14.5 barrel with a welded 1.5 in. brake welded on per law. Any suggestions from folks that have tried what they recommend? PS, want a HBSR for better stability when fired rapidly and generating some serious heat. Oh, also a recommend for the hand guard. Would prefer KMOD, since all of my add on pieces are Kmod.

Thanks,
    FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you asking for recommendations on who you should have build your upper or do you want a complete factory upper?

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I was going to go 14.5" chrome lined I would go with FN, Hodge, or possibly Criterion. Dont know anything about the Criterion. Looked recently for a FN Barrel and couldn't find any in stock. Here's the Hodge, its made by FN but its pricey.

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/hodge-14-5-barrel.html
    Last edited by Stone; 27 February 2021 at 09:01.
    The best way to survive a violent encounter is to be the one inflicting the most violence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Buy what you want built and get in touch with me. I’ll assemble it for you. Correctly unlike the garbage I’ve seen being thrown out the door of most places lately.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just get a KAC and be done with it.

PS: You've built your own, why in the hell would you want to spend to have a built one? I think most here will agree that a competently built upper is apples and apples, plus there's no chance of the Monday/Friday issues with one you do yourself.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Buy what you want built and get in touch with me. I’ll assemble it for you. Correctly unlike the garbage I’ve seen being thrown out the door of most places lately.
    Unfortunately, I've seen as with previous panics, more complaints of crappy assemblies shipped out the door. Not surprised, demand continues to outstrip supply, so I'm guessing a lot of QA/QC is being thrown out the door.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Unfortunately, I've seen as with previous panics, more complaints of crappy assemblies shipped out the door. Not surprised, demand continues to outstrip supply, so I'm guessing a lot of QA/QC is being thrown out the door.
    I was telling someone the other day that was complaining about parts not being in stock. He said 'what is it some kind of steel shortage?' I said, 'No. It's a shortage of people that know how to work steel, equipment to do it on, and hours in the day. It's like saying there isn't enough Picasso's around so there must be a shortage of paint'

Some of the stuff people are able to do with metal is amazing. It's a huge skill set. Messing something up by .005 inches in some cases means the part fits or it doesn't.

I've heard others complain about QC issues lately. That said I don't know that it's as big of an issue in the higher end/nicer brands though. I think those are looking at it from a different perspective beyond the current run.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an FYI www.wingtactical.com has a 14.5 spikes tactical fn CHF double chrome lined barrel
    https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm...h-5-56-barrel/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    I'm getting lazy in my old age, and am looking for a new upper. I've built all of my own, except for a Colt and a couple of completed rifles. My wants are simple. I want a top notch upper, chrome lined barrel and a HB 14.5 barrel with a welded 1.5 in. brake welded on per law. Any suggestions from folks that have tried what they recommend? PS, want a HBSR for better stability when fired rapidly and generating some serious heat. Oh, also a recommend for the hand guard. Would prefer KMOD, since all of my add on pieces are Kmod.

Thanks,
    FT
    Complete upper only.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Just get a KAC and be done with it.

PS: You've built your own, why in the hell would you want to spend to have a built one? I think most here will agree that a competently built upper is apples and apples, plus there's no chance of the Monday/Friday issues with one you do yourself.
    Good point. The reason I want a complete upper is that I can't do it in my condo. A friend or two always were kind enough to let me use their shop, etc...both of them are unavailable at the time and for the foreseeable future. I have enough rifles I can just swap a barrel assy in. Stripped lowers around here are as hard to find as football sized gold nuggets. I do have my LMT, but I have to get some new rails for it, (has old school rails) and no amount plastic inserts will keep from grating you hands.
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger

Downloads
    Uploads
    In that case, I also vote 14.5" KAC upper if you can find one. I think your biggest issue will be finding something in stock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It’s truly sad the drop in workmanship. 2 rifles from a manufacturer I’ve recommended had issues so severe they failed to function. No excuse but rushing them out the door.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    In that case, I also vote 14.5" KAC upper if you can find one. I think your biggest issue will be finding something in stock.
    The 14.5s seem to keep popping up on the second-hand market. I've seen multiple listings on ARF and in the KAC FB seller's group. I'm speaking of the Mod 2s, not the contract MSP SR-16 sell-backs that were recently released in the wild. I guess it's all relative...I see the 14.5s more than the 11.5s, which it seems all the fan boys HAVE to HAVE!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Problem is finding it is most likely gonna cost you a premium over normal, unless you catch it in stock.. everything is scarce and the flippers are working hard lately..lol