Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any Sig Experts in here?

I got to looking online about getting my P226 slide milled and at least one place said there were versions of the slide that cannot be milled. I am not sure why this is so. The photos they provided on their website showed 'good' (can be milled) and 'not good' (cannot be milled) slides. Apparently mine is the version that cannot be milled (according to them) but other places make no such mention of this limitation. Maybe that's just what that one company's process. (see the link below. Particularly the photos they provide).

I also do not know what a ' "slide melt" style red dot cutout' that they mention is.

https://www.sastacticalcustoms.com/c...inish-included

I don't know a ton of details but my P226 is an "R" series, P226R. I don't know what else to look at to determine the 'version'. I have as I rarely (almost never) know about such things.

As an example the guys in the link below do not mention any limitations on slide milling. Nor does anyone else that I can find that does that service.

https://www.parkermountainmachine.co...lide_Cuts.html

I've also considered just buying a second slide and having that milled to accept a Holosun optic. Like everything else the slides are in short supply. That might be an overall better option if I can find a decent slide for a reasonable price. If I can just use my slide as is I would just send that one off. It's already got suppressor sights on it etc. That would be best but now I have doubts if it's doable.

Sig sells a complete slide that includes an optics cut but it's for their optic only. Big surprise there. I would have to send that off to get 'fixed' if were to go that route (while also trying to sell a Sig red dot that I don't want) so it's not worth the hassle to go that route.

Here is yet another company that does it. Again no mention of restrictions on optics mounting for a P226. That said I do not want adapter plates. I want the optic to sit right on top of the slide.

Please note that I have not decided to do this for sure yet and I haven't even picked out an optic yet. I am open to ideas, but I like the 507K-X2 that I have now, hence I am basing everything off of that and getting something with similar controls/reticle options for the 226.

Here is another link to a milling service. There seem to be several available.

https://chpws.com/product/sig-sauer-...pgrade-program
    Last edited by alamo5000; 21 April 2021 at 17:59.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, I would not get a Sig 226 milled for a dot, I'd find another platform with proven optics mounting options. There are only a handful of machine shops that do consistently great work, and even less that will work on Classic Sigs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Brush up on your reading comprehension. LOL Right on the PMM link you posted.

“ SLIDES WITH A LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR CAN NOT BE MILLED FOR AN OPTIC.”

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Honestly, I would not get a Sig 226 milled for a dot, I'd find another platform with proven optics mounting options. There are only a handful of machine shops that do consistently great work, and even less that will work on Classic Sigs.
    That's probably pretty good advice to heed to be honest. I have thought about it off and on for a long time but this is the first time I have actually tried to research it out (even the little that I am doing now).

Honestly I like the gun a lot. It's one of my favorite handguns. I have it semi sort of custom with a really nice after market adjustable trigger and a few other things.

I keep going back and forth if I want to change it or not. The fact that I like it so much is another reason why I thought of just getting a second slide--so I can keep it like it is and have the best of both worlds. That though is turning out to be a big pain in the ass though so probably not worth it.

I am finishing up a 6 ARC build and still need to purchase an optic so any other handgun purchases will be put off for now. It's not urgent by any means. I have a bunch of things on my want list but I might add a good full size optics cut suppressor host to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Brush up on your reading comprehension. LOL Right on the PMM link you posted.

“ SLIDES WITH A LOADED CHAMBER INDICATOR CAN NOT BE MILLED FOR AN OPTIC.”
    Mine doesn't have a loaded chamber indicator. There are apparently a ton of different designs that went into the 226 over the years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oddly I talked to my sister today and asked her. She knew exactly what the issue is. Some of the Sig slides have a larger machined firing pin cavity that prevents the sight to sit at the correct height. And the aforementioned LCI.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Oddly I talked to my sister today and asked her. She knew exactly what the issue is. Some of the Sig slides have a larger machined firing pin cavity that prevents the sight to sit at the correct height. And the aforementioned LCI.
    I have a question for you.

Your sister? What's the back story there? Maybe she works for Sig. If she does maybe we can get an employee discount or something. LOL!

Honestly I'm not sure if I want to go through with it. If it was just a matter of paying the man and waiting I would probably do it but it's not that easy.

I will probably follow UW's advice and maybe get a different gun eventually.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you EDC w/ a dot?

I know the 226 is a great gun, but I'm in the camp that views them as interesting historical artifacts. I think eventually you'd kick yourself for mod'ing a 226 and hang your head in shame like you sporterized a K98k

How about a p320 RXP to scratch the itch?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Do you EDC w/ a dot?

I know the 226 is a great gun, but I'm in the camp that views them as interesting historical artifacts. I think eventually you'd kick yourself for mod'ing a 226 and hang your head in shame like you sporterized a K98k

How about a p320 RXP to scratch the itch?
    I definitely know exactly what you are saying there. Fore sure. I have gone back and forth about it about 200 times and finally broke down and investigated how much it would cost.

Like I said above, if I could find a good second slide, and if it was easy to do, then that would be a feasible 'best of both worlds' option. I can have my gun like it is now (classic, awesome) but also the option to plink around with a red dot.

In the end though I most likely won't bother with it unless I somehow fall into a good second slide so I can return everything back to original if I want to. Historical artifact...maybe. I have never even thought about the history of it when I bought it. I just really enjoy shooting it.

Yes, I do EDC with a red dot on a 365XL. A few months ago was when I started and now I am absolutely loving it. To say it has grown on me is an understatement. I am really digging the dot. I am probably between 2,000 to 3,000 rounds into that one gun and for sure I can say I am a dot convert. Going forward I think all pistols I buy will be dot ready or I will just plan on putting a dot on them from the get go. That is unless it's something like a wheel gun or whatever, but anything else for the most part will wear a dot most likely.

As far as other options I just need to handle the various guns out there and see what tickles my fancy. I am not writing anything off but I also have no alternative prospects. I have a lot of other irons in the fire so to speak and truthfully another pistol isn't a super high priority. When I get more of them it will be simply for the 'because I can' or 'because I like it' line of reasoning.

In other words for now it is on the back burner until I finish out my current AR build. If I start shopping too much one or more of those 'other options' will follow me home.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For quite some time I put the idea of putting a dot on my P226 to bed but it's popped up again.

There is a company that I recently ran across and they are offering to find the correct slide, mill it, cerakote it, mount irons, and mount my choice of red dot for around $900+ dollars. The 'for' side of this is there are no mounting plates and it's exactly the stuff I want.

Also Sig now offers two factory milled slides for the P226. The "Pro Cut" is one and the RPX is another. In my opinion I don't like those cuts on the "Pro Cut" at all so over the long term I probably will be better off going with something else.

The downside to the other option is the RPX comes with a red dot that I don't really want that would be almost immediately be replaced. I would have to pull it off and sell it if I could.

https://www.sigsauer.com/rx-slide-as...romeo1pro.html

Right now the tentative plan is to buy the RPX slide and replace the dot with a 507C X2.

The plates to adapt the Holosun are available for about $60.

https://chpws.com/product-tag/sig-sauer/

On another forum that I found via Google there is a guy that mounted a Holosun to his P226. I stole this image from there, but it's to see what it looks like.

Capture.JPG

One side effect of this set up is I could pick pretty much anything I want in the way of red dots. Right now I am just saying '507C' but I am also quite intrigued by the enclosed red dots.

This one looks interesting but I am hoping to get opinions on pros/cons of a closed dot vs say the 507C.

https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/222.html

The price between having a slide custom made vs buying the RPX and the parts needed including the dot will be roughly the same, but with the RPX choice I would recoup whatever I could sell that dot for. Right now that seems like my best choice.

Who knows, I might be just throwing shade on the Sig red dot without having used it so any commentary there would also be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two months into the red dot game I'm still not convinced it's better than irons; more the contrary. I could just be old AF and set in my ways, but I still have trouble picking up the dot and splits are a joke. More power to guys that shoot better with them, and I won't give up this easily, but at this point, for me it's a neat range toy, but has no chance of unseating iron sights and a decent light for HD, or tritium for carry. I will also cast another no vote for knackering your 226. Whether you value it for it's military heritage or not, there are better, more established pistols for hosting a RDS, IMHO.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Two months into the red dot game I'm still not convinced it's better than irons; more the contrary. I could just be old AF and set in my ways, but I still have trouble picking up the dot and splits are a joke. More power to guys that shoot better with them, and I won't give up this easily, but at this point, for me it's a neat range toy, but has no chance of unseating iron sights and a decent light for HD, or tritium for carry.
    It took me a while to warm up to it. I shot no less than 1K rounds through my carry gun to get used to it. Since I can shoot at home I would go shoot 3 or 4 mags every other day until it was ingrained. I didn't shoot any more than that on any given day because it would run contrary to what I was trying to accomplish in the way of learning. After a certain round count I am just pulling the trigger and not really learning anything.

I am in no way a fast shooter so I won't say if it slowed me down or not, but I think just plain speed is only a portion of the picture. There are a ton of other things that I like about it as well.

I will also cast another no vote for knackering your 226. Whether you value it for it's military heritage or not, there are better, more established pistols for hosting a RDS, IMHO.
    I didn't buy any gun of mine because of it's heritage or anything. I just like the gun and I won't be getting rid of it. The good thing about the plan I have is I won't be changing anything really. I plan to keep my current slide the way it is. I will just get a Sig milled slide and swap it so I could go back any time. That said I put a custom trigger in it and it's awesome.

I can and will get other guns as money allows but I really like my P226 and I want to keep it. I typically don't carry it so pretty much I use it as a suppressor host. In certain situations I definitely would carry it but it's not an EDC at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently pulled the trigger and bought a factory Sig RXP slide with their Romeo Pro red dot. I inquired about one from a seller online several months ago. To my surprise when they came back in stock he emailed me so I placed the order. It was really good customer service. It was an actual email from the guy, not some back in stock notification. I thought that was nice that he remembered me. As soon as I placed the order they went out of stock again...I got the very last one. Apparently these sell out quickly and are a relatively popular item.

I have a cam lok adapter on the muzzle, which I had some 'Griffin Bux' that I spent on a basically free to me compensator that fits the adapter when I'm not shooting suppressed. It works quite good actually.

The trigger is an Armory Craft trigger. It's very nice too.

Anyway I have a couple hundred rounds downrange with the new slide/dot. The original plan was to replace the dot with something else, which still might happen eventually. As it sits it's got a 6 MOA dot. It will definitely work until I can decide if/what I ultimately want to change the dot.

I still have the original slide tucked away. It has suppressor height night sites on that one so eventually I might swap those out to this slide but it's not at all a priority right now.

Crappy cel phone pic below.

IMG_20221024_191558350.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice looking gun, Alamo!

I did the same thing and keep my bone stock 19 slide for the times I don't feel like messing with the dot. I'm still not convinced it's for me, and that's okay. It's different, for sure.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice looking gun, Alamo!

I did the same thing and keep my bone stock 19 slide for the times I don't feel like messing with the dot. I'm still not convinced it's for me, and that's okay. It's different, for sure.
    It took me a while to get it. I went through at least 1,000 rounds before it clicked. I didn't shoot all of that in one sitting. Eventually I slowed WAAAY down while concentrating on mechanics etc. Once I got that down I was slowly able to speed up some. I am by no means a fast shooter by any stretch, but the ability to point and shoot and shoot with both eyes open and the other aspects of shooting with a dot is very nice.

I've been wanting to upgrade my 226 with a dot for a while but it wasn't a priority, but also everything was OOS so I jumped on it when the opportunity arose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't like the dot, I get it. But if you ever shoot at a competition (friendly or otherwise) with a dueling tree or Texas star, a dot makes it much more of an inconvenience than a painful trial.