Downloads
    Uploads

Best scope in for budget of $300

I have searched this forum for the past several days. It seems the best scope bellow $300 is the Leupold VX-2. I have found the 3-9x40 with CDS for $270. I am just confirming this would be the best scope for my attended use.

I plan to use this scope primarily for hunting mounted to a .243. Outside of hunting, I have a gas pipeline I can take extremely long shots on but will more than likely never stretch it past 800 yards.

Is the Leupold VX-2 the best scope for my budget and use or is there something better that should be considered? And can u recommend me long range rifle scope under $300?
    THX

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shooting with a high power rifle takes consideration for the recoil impulse. .243 supplies a pretty good kick, which can dismantle inexpensive scopes simply because durability is a compromise at lower price points.

Leupold is is absolutely a good choice for your needs. Many will suggest saving a little more and getting the best scope you can afford, but if 300 is your max, your plan is sound. Other brands like Vortex have similar entries in that price range, but come with endless stories of failures. It’s a good thing they have a lifetime warranty!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a Leupy fan boy, I have to chime in. I have several, and only had one issue. Some thirty plus years ago, and it was fixed under warranty and returned in two weeks. I have a Leupold on my .243 (not the VX-2) and have taken prairie dogs at ranges exceeding 700 yards. For the money, they are hard to beat.

Edit: Welcome to WEVO!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    As a Leupy fan boy, I have to chime in. I have several, and only had one issue. Some thirty plus years ago, and it was fixed under warranty and returned in two weeks. I have a Leupold on my .243 (not the VX-2) and have taken prairie dogs at ranges exceeding 700 yards. For the money, they are hard to beat.

Edit: Welcome to WEVO!
    Jerry, we're just happy we can buy gear now instead of 30 years ago when decent low priced optics weren't even a thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ouch! I felt that all the way down here in Florida
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree, I've always been very impressed with the quality of glass from Leupold for the price point. You can get better reticles and features for the money from Vortex, but for a simple duplex hunting scope I'd go with Leupold. They are also very light weight compared to others. Once you get to the ~$700 price range I'd favor the European glass (Swaro or Zeiss).